Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a question that I'm sure someone can help me figure out, I was just wondering what that big metal hunk under the air filter housing is in a 98 eldorado? if I remove the top of the air box and the filter u can see somethin metal with fins on it thru the hole in the bottom of the box. please help me figure this one out, its driving me nuts, lol. Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's the PCM! It's in the air tract for cooling as the intake air comes in.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood FWD / 2000 ETC / 2000 STS / 2006 STS V-8 1SF RWD
475 Posts
Hello...
Yes, the metal box under the air intake is the PCM.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Years ago they were inside the car but that added delicate wiring and overheating problems with the PCMs. Over the years they got assigned more tasks and got more complicated. It's actually much simpler to mount it in the engine compartment and there is an added benefit of cooling by putting it in the air box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well thanks for everyones help, I had another question, the stuff inside the air intake where the MAF sensor is (the "honey comb" type stuff) if I removed this stuff would that cause a problem or is it just there to keep things quite. thanks

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Leave it alone. It is an air flow straightener. It is there so that the MAF sensor gets a good straight non turbulent flow of air. If you remove it, you'll likely have drivability problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
crap, I was hoping to open up the intake to get that nice intake "suck" noise, any ideas on that? lol, thanks

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
I'm not sure about the Eldo's, but the 1998+ Sevilles have a resonator chamber attached to the top of the air inlet tube. You can remove it and plug the hole if you want, which won't really open anything up, but it will give you that nice induction whine. I did mainly to ease in the removal and installation of the air filter, and to make it easier to check the trans fluid if I have to. Now, I don't have to remove a bolt, and wrestle with this big hunk of plastic to change my air filter, and it sounds pretty cool too.

edit:Well, it doesn't look like you have that resonator chamber attached to your inlet hose, so foget what I said above. You airbox is completely different than mine. Oh well.

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
I was shocked to find the PCM in there, great big blockage in the intake system.

I removed the screens on the MAF sensor on my IROC, made no difference in either driveability or performance (although studies showed that it massively increased airflow).

If you can remove the screens in such a way that you can easily put them back, go for it, otherwise don't bother. In fact, with the ECU sitting in the airstream, I wouldn't worry about the mesh reducing performance...

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Not to sound goofy but....
They pay some engineers a lot of money to figure stuff like that out. I don't think one of their criteria is often "make it sound cool", especially on a luxury car line.
Undoing an engineers hard work for something as "critical" as making your car sound cool is rarely a good idea. Now if you were to take something that was engineered to be functional AND make it sound cool, that would be a different story. Taking parts off or modifying parts to do this often starts screwing things up (says the voice of personal experience!). Granted sometimes it will work but if this is your "method" then just be sure to be prepared if it doesn't turn out the way you think it will.
I think most Cadillacs sound great right off the assembly line, but that's just me.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
ewill3rd said:
Not to sound goofy but....
They pay some engineers a lot of money to figure stuff like that out.
how big are the hands of these engineers? they must be pretty damn tiny. :histeric:

Sorry i couldn't resist. :)

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Tell me about it, I have plenty of battle scars.
At least they cut back on their 'sharp object' research.
My forearms looked like hamburger all the way through the 80s and into the 90s!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Your logic is flawed and lacking rationality.

If you REALLY want to increase your air flow, just remove the exhaust from the catalytic converter on back... oh wait, that's on there for an OBVIOUS reason. It would be friggen noisy otherwise.

It should make you wonder about the stuff that's on there for the not so obvious reason, and that little honeycomb item on the MAF sensor is one of them. A very miniscule bit of research on your part would reveal why that item is necessary, which relates to the laws of thermodynamics. Just because you don't know what it's for doesn't mean it should come off.

The Northstar engine is already set up for high-performance. Your quest for more of "this and that" will generally go unfulfilled. Literally, there isn't a whole lot more you could do to it that would result in any improvement.

Buy a boom box and blast a recording of a Vette's engine or something... it's cheaper and it results in the same thing for your car... nothing!

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
Nonsense!

Hot Rodders have been getitng more out of their engines than manufacturers for years!
Any car supplied by a manufacturer is the pinnicle of compromise.
They have to meet emissions laws, noise level laws (and customer preferences), refinement, fuel economy and a host of other things.

If yo're prepared to sacrifice the quietness of the car (a bonus on long trips) for some increased exhaust noise you'll get a bit more power in return. By switching rear gears you'll use more gas and the engine will be spinning at higher revs at any given speed so again, more noise, but in return it'll accelerate faster. Rough cast cylinder heads and intake manifolds can be smoothed (a time consuming, skilled, labour intensive job that the factory is not going to bother with) for more power and no side effects. Ditching the stock paper filter for a (more expensive) foam one will also help increase airflow.

And so on add nauseum.

I agree that a manufacturer puts everything on the car for a reason. Otherwise they wouldn't and instead save a buck.
But their reason for doing so is something tuners will investigate through experimentation.

On my Camaro I removed the screen from the MAF and had no ill effects. I also removed the coolant lines that supply the throttle body. This helps give a cooler (and thus denser) air to the engine but with the downside that my Camaro is now no use in extreme cold weather as the throttle body freezes. I live in a fairly temperate climate so it doens't matter to me.
I also increased the airflow through the throttle body by removing the heatsink fins that are inside it. This means the electronics are at risk of running hotter by that's a chance I'm prepared to take.

Have I done any of this stuff to the STS? No. I bought it because I wanted a quiet, refined, reliable car. (I have however fitted a high flow air filter and I will fit an aftermarket silencer to it when mine rusts through, just so long as it isn't too loud).

·
Registered
131 Posts
HardRock, you missed the point I was trying to make. If I had a Camaro, I could go online and find a ZILLION sites that sell HiPerformance stuff for Camaros. Much of it is simply "remove this and replace it with that." The Camaro is one of those cars, as agreeably most are, that has LOTS of room for improvement, depending on what Camaro you're getting it for.

But not the Cadillac. Not that it can't be improved, but at what cost just to eek out a few more fractional HP? The Money/HP gain-ratio is VERY LARGE because it's hard to gain much more without putting a LOT more money into it. This is not so with a Camaro, and I'm sorry, but swapping the air-filter hardly counts as a HP gain.

If all you're after is just the sound, then what the hell, buy whatever you need, but don't expect much HP boost unless you spring big bucks and do something more "advanced."

You just can't FIND stuff for a Cadillac like you can for a Camaro.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Rock id love to know how you could buy a Camero when there is no such thing LOL there's a CamAro made though

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
Sorry Rock,

I have to disagree with you on your last post. In my opinion the 4.6 Northstar would be prime motor to "Hop-up" to use the words of my Grandpa.

GM missed the boat figuring that no-one would want to bolt on a blower or other aftermarket goodies to to a N*. The sad truth is that GM works with the aftermarket on the LS1 to help build excitement around that motor and ignores the 32 Valve "Star" it has on the shelf because only 65 year olds buy these cars...

BIG MISTAKE! Most tuners are working on DOHC engines now...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts