Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 Eldorado. When running it has this rumble/grumble sound. I know its not coming from the enigne. Its more in the mid part of the car. My dad said it is the cat convertor. How much do they cost?, or could I just have it replaced with a pipe. What do you think it is?

Attachments

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Could be a hole in your Cat. (happened to me) I know with my '91 Mercury with fuel injection, Midas said I could put a pipe instead, but the oxygen sensors might need a certain amount of backpressure to properly function. I could have risked it but I did not want to possibly damage the computer. Kat, where are you!? What are the emissions laws like where you live? If you go with a straight pipe, make sure they don't do environmental inspections or have to pass emissions each year.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Just throw in a pipe for now, and change it when you get the chance...... It wont mess up your computer, but the O2 sensors may not read right, which means you may not get the best gas mileage in the world, and performance could go down a little....... I know people here in indiana with no cats, and the cars seem to run fine.....

Katshot will tell you the best thing to do.........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts