Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been developing this noise for a while now and in the past it would go away after driving at highway speeds or with a couple miles. It's a high pitched noise that used to be a pattern like 1, 2, pause, 1, 2, pause etc. Now it's almost a more even squeak. It seems to be coming from the middle or the rear of the vehicle. It's speed related and has no correlation with gear, clutch engagement, or RPMs. The dumb thing is that the speed range is changing all the time. My brakes were changed just a few thousand miles ago and are not near the squealer tabs. I've been looking at carrier bearing threads but none have had a sound clip. I recorded this with my phone: http://youtu.be/GdGOP2UfuwQ Hopefully this helps for future references.

The warmer temperatures seem to make it happen more frequently although before I thought it only happened in the cold. Should I get the lithium grease ready or is this something else?

·
Registered
237 Posts
If it is a squeak that matches the speed of the car,it has to be something that is 1:1 ratio with the ground. I would look at wheel bearings or your DS carrier bearing or possibly something in your diff.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is a squeak that matches the speed of the car,it has to be something that is 1:1 ratio with the ground. I would look at wheel bearings or your DS carrier bearing or possibly something in your diff.
In my experience, all the bad wheel bearings I've heard howl instead of squeak intermittently but I could jack up the rear corners and move the wheel around to check. I'm the only one I know who can drive or that I trust to drive my car so I'd have to find a passenger to ride in back because it's hard to pinpoint where it's coming from; middle or corner/wheel area.

·
Registered
237 Posts
In my experience, all the bad wheel bearings I've heard howl instead of squeak intermittently but I could jack up the rear corners and move the wheel around to check. I'm the only one I know who can drive or that I trust to drive my car so I'd have to find a passenger to ride in back because it's hard to pinpoint where it's coming from; middle or corner/wheel area.
In my opinion, locating the source of squeaks, howls and grinds etc...is one of the most challenging things to do. I have a noise coming from my driver door that sounds like a bead bouncing around. It is intermittent and I have been "looking" for it for 3 years now and can not find it. Drives me crazy! :mad2: So I feel your pain.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a noise coming from my driver door that sounds like a bead bouncing around. It is intermittent and I have been "looking" for it for 3 years now and can not find it. Drives me crazy! :mad2: So I feel your pain.
3 years sure would be annoying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts