Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Professional Chassis Raised Roof Presidential Limousine
411 Posts
On this 2008 DTS Performance with MRC and 170,000 miles. Going over bumps I hear a "boing" noise, not really a clunk. Thinking something internal in the struts? If so can they be replaced with the standard suspension struts? Don't care about the ride as long as it doesn't make a noise and I can save $600.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,404 Posts
"Boing" ???? Struts are oil-filled and will not ring. I'd start by inspecting the sway bar bushings and end links. Also check that nothing is hitting a spring and causing it to .... ring.

Put the car up on a lift and, using a rubber or soft dead-blow mallet, see if you can duplicate the sound by whomping on suspension parts and nearby body metal.

Replace MRC struts with passive ??? - do the shocks also or the suspension control will be ridiculously unbalanced front-to-rear.

You own a Cadillac - repair it correctly.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,404 Posts
Same reason you don't put different brake products on the front and rear - unequal braking action.

Mixing two totally different suspension control systems will alter suspension ride and control quality. Has nothing to do with whether or not the vehicle has independent suspension (and "independent" applies to rear axle configuration - live differential with attached axle tubes or frame mounted differential with constant velocity independently suspended axles) .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts