Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my tires at about 23.7K miles.
What's the average car ownership time & miles for front & rear brakes.
My dealer told me that the rotors are generally shot and need replacing on the average CTS-V brake job
He came up with the price of about $2.5K+ off the top of his head.
So how many miles was your first brake job?
Fronts only?
Rears only?
Both front & rear?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,840 Posts
Do I see this right? He's quoting you over two grand for brakes and rotors? Whoa. FWIW, I lucked out. Got new front rotors with the clicking TSB. I bought front and rear pads from a vendor and had the dealer install them all at about 40K miles. There was pad left but I did them while the labor was free. I did not turn the rear rotors and the brakes are fine.

·
Registered
11 V Black Diamond Sedan, 16 Escalade Premium (wife's)
221 Posts
Id run....hes raping you on parts and labor. My buddy needed brakes and tire pressure sensors on his envoy denali. Dealer quoted about 975 for all parts wise. Got him delco everything shipped two days later for 525 installed by regular mechanic for about 100-150....

I hate dealers do most of my work myself for that reason

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Just did my tires at about 23.7K miles.
What's the average car ownership time & miles for front & rear brakes.
My dealer told me that the rotors are generally shot and need replacing on the average CTS-V brake job
He came up with the price of about $2.5K+ off the top of his head.
So how many miles was your first brake job?
Fronts only?
Rears only?
Both front & rear?
Full of crap.

Unless you're Lewis Hamilton, you do NOT need new brakes. I've got 45k miles on my original rotors with track days, autocrosses and some aggressive driving. And that's with Hawk DTC-30 pads, which are more aggressive.

You shouldn't need rotors and you shouldn't need pads. Period.

----------

BTW, Luke can get you the front 2 piece rotors for less than $700, I believe. The rears should be even cheaper...

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
1,654 Posts
WTF! I'm over 70,000 miles on original pads and rotors.

Jud

·
Registered
97 eldo,2011 cts-v
673 Posts
this is prime example why most people stay away from american cars. dealerships like to jerk them off

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
$2500? And Gary, you are actually driving your car? :)

I got 39,000 miles out of the front rotors on my '09 sedan before they began vibrating. It was clearly bad rotors and I purchased two-piece rotors from Luke at Lindsay (less than $700 shipped) and new brake pads (another less than $300 from Luke). I then took the parts to my dealer and they charged me $170 to put the rotors on, and they offered instaling the pads for free.

My rears were in good shape and continued to be in good shape at the time I traded my 09 in on the new Vagon; that was at a bit more than 46k miles. The person who buys my car secondhand will be pretty lucky as it's got fresh front brakes.

So source the parts from one of the fine vendors on this forum, then ask what the labor will be at the dealer. That alone will save some money.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks, everybody.
When I was in the dealers a while back he said that I would probably need brakes before too long and told me that it was doubtful that I could re-use the rotors and plan on paying somewhere over $2K.
I assumed that was for all 4 but I did not ask. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
Our rotors are apparently not meant to be resurfaced. I was a bit disappointed that the fronts didn't last longer. They were definitely not abused.

·
Registered
<-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(
1,172 Posts
As little as I drive my car, I'll probably never have to change my brakes. :duck:

·
Registered
2012 Radiant Silver CTS -V, 1987 Buick Grand National
51 Posts
$2500 WOW Gary

Which dealer did you go to ? Also are both the front and rear rotors shot how did they come to that
conclusion did they show you any stress cracks any vibration when your on the brakes what did the dealer
say your is your pad wear you have left ?
Your best bet would to be to purchased the two-piece rotors from Luke at Lindsay (less than $700 shipped)and new brake pads (another less than $300 from Luke). If you need rotors if not just purchase the pads
And change them out yourself if not your welcome to come by the house I'll help you change them out...

Try looking to source the parts from one of the fine vendors on this forum, then ask what the labor will be at the dealer. That alone will save some money.

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
Another option, unless you HAVE to have the fancy two-piece rotors, are Centric front rotors at $215 shipped to your door. They carry a two-year cracking and warping warranty. The inner hub is black (so semi-cool) and have held up very well in the 3K I've had them on. My stock pads lasted 33K, and I got free replacements since a piece of one cracked and fell off and they weren't down to the wear indicators yet. I'll bet I could have gotten 40K from them and I DID drive them hard on tracks.

·
Registered
2012 Radiant Silver CTS -V, 1987 Buick Grand National
51 Posts
While you at it might as well upgrade the brake fluid to Motul 600 race fluid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts