Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With mod $ temporarily exhausted now (there's no way I have the $6.5k for Doug's super diff :mad: and I'm too chicken to do the CZ swap others may resort to :worship:), I'm worried that getting another dif replacement will be much more difficult since I recently got my third and just installed a maggie. So, starting with maybe the least costly step by changing to Royal Purple and then going up in cost to BMR and KARS kits, what progressively-more-costly steps could I take to make my diff last?

For example, will just adding a pinion support only greatly improve diff life at the lowest cost? I don't do burnouts, but the rears break loose pretty easily now just dipping into the throttle. BTW, I prefer the twisties and want no degradation in handling.

What's the consensus out there? Can a list be made?

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
49er,

Id go with Dougs KARS Stage 3 Kit...keeps everything locked up and tight...no more flex/twist to the driveline and it supports your pinion, you get the best of all aftermarket with his kit. I was in the same boat as you...GM denied (time and time again) my 3rd diff...so I said Fook it, and Doug made the magic happen...

F

·
Registered
855 Posts
F......

Give me us a thorough "write-up" on Doug's diff. Randy's raising a family so he's gotta' watch the cash.....I'm single (after 3 ex's) and can afford the diff frm Doug. I'm seriously considering keeping the car, installing the maggie and "going on down the road"......in lieu of an '09.

My car only has 14000 miles on it....so it's in perfect shape. Thanks I appreciate it.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... after 3 ex's ...
I've got one, and she's like having three! :bonkers:

What is there, like 5-6,000 '04/'05 V's out there who are going to be running out of warranty coverage in the near future with those POS Getrags? I've got a lightweight flywheel and FG2s in my future, but ALL OF US have a dif in our future. Hey, Doug, are you ramping up production? Any plans for a dif kit that guys like me can get into a bit cheaper? Meanwhile, I'll start saving $.

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
F......

Give me us a thorough "write-up" on Doug's diff. Randy's raising a family so he's gotta' watch the cash.....I'm single (after 3 ex's) and can afford the diff frm Doug. I'm seriously considering keeping the car, installing the maggie and "going on down the road"......in lieu of an '09.

My car only has 14000 miles on it....so it's in perfect shape. Thanks I appreciate it.

Flyboy...read here:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/110316-driving-first-kars-extreme-rear-end.html

My impressions on the KARS diff. are there. I will be seeing Doug on Friday to pick up my V again. Doug changed the design to a 2 piece driveshaft from the 1 piece as there was an issue or two with vibration at high speeds. His 2 piece is a BEEFY piece that wont give you any grief. I think Doug can turn these things around in 2-3 weeks. I love my V and hate to be without it, but after driving the beefed up V, Im glad I waited....youll love his setup.

F

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
Thanks F...

Good writing......are you one of those guys who write to the Penthouse Forum??????? Just kiddin' Well, sorta'

Keep us posted on the drive shaft.
Dear Penthouse Forum,

Youll never believe what happened to me today........:eek:

F

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V (sold)
1,473 Posts
F......

I keep going btwn keeping the V and getting Doug's diff and just getting another car all together. This one is paid for and modded quite nicely. Given a bullet-proof diff it could be a simply amazing car to own for years to come. I feel like I'm only getting 7/10 with this car right now since Cadillac has already told me that this 4th diff will be my last covered under warranty.

·
Registered
04' CTS-V, 04' Escalade EXT
623 Posts
49er,

Id go with Dougs KARS Stage 3 Kit...keeps everything locked up and tight...no more flex/twist to the driveline and it supports your pinion, you get the best of all aftermarket with his kit. I was in the same boat as you...GM denied (time and time again) my 3rd diff...so I said Fook it, and Doug made the magic happen...

F
I'll second the motion. I've had the stage Kars III for over two years (guessing) just after introduced. Not only does it save your diff it improves handling the twisties by a big %. I have 48k miles, 30plus track events on origional diff no worries at all. Well I did buy an o6' diff on ebay just in case but...
If you lower your car you might need to tweak the design a little unless Doug offers the, "lowered car version" now. I cut the cross bar and flattened it so it doesnt sit as low as it did stock.
It is a great mod.

my $0.02

rgd

·
Registered
CTS-V
874 Posts
I have 48k miles, 30plus track events on origional diff no worries at all.
Are these road course or drag events?

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,113 Posts
There's only one kind of "track event", and it involves turning left and right while going really fast. :p

Does anyone have any pictures of the car up on a lift with the Kars kit installed? The pinion support is pretty easy to figure out, I'm just trying to visualize where the main brace goes. I'm new to the car, and had it up on a lift yesterday to check things out, so I'm trying to put the pieces together in my brain. Doug's website has some close-up pictures, but I don't see any full rear end shots to get the "big picture". Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,113 Posts
Anyone? Bueller?

I got the car back from the dealer today after having the pinion seal replaced. Now that they're done playing back there I'd like to see about beefing up the rear to remove some of the slop.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Have StealthV detune you to about 200hp/200ftlbs.

Or, you could just do like I did, and drive sanely, don't dump the clutch, stop doing burnouts (though I did a fair share of donuts) and change the fluid. Kind of hard with all the hp under the hood - but taking it easy on the diff is free.

WW

1 - 16 of 16 Posts