Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9
691 Posts
the earlier N*'s remind me of the old 4-6-8 digital fuel injected caddy engines from the 80's.

Lots of problems that were improved upon later down the line.

Think about it and it makes perfect sense, cadillac motor car company will put out a bug prone engine first and realize and fix the problem later.

As dependable as the 4.9's were when they first hit the market in '91, the 4.9's in 95 were even more dependable than the earlier 4.9's.

Same with the N*. The earlier ones were crap while the later '97-98 and beyond were free from most of the problems that plagued the earlier motors.

·
Registered
1991 ETC (Crimson)
232 Posts
I have to agree. I'm just on the verge of 180K with mine and the motor itself has just been bullet-proof. With a lot of parkway driving in the DC area, I'm getting 19.6 mpg -- this also with the basic upgrades on this forum: CAI, high-voltage igniton, less-restrictive muffler. Just had the tranny rebuilt, but even that was because I didn't notice a leak and it ran low on fluid for too long. I'm a 4.9 believer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is the HT-4100 the transverse 4.1? I know there was a longitudal 4.1 that may or may not have been the same engine.

I'm not sure what can be done to the 4t60. Cadillac modified the 440t4 in the Allante and called it the F7. The 4t65 is supposedly a better version of the 4t60, but (I think) the 4t65 and 4t80 both require powertrain control modules to manage the transaxle. I think (and I could be wrong) 4t60s are electronically shifted, but not electronically controlled.
Lmao, no the ht4100 was well known for its lack of jackets on the block, and the heads (which covered the manifold from my understanding) bolts were completely visible out the side of the block going down from the heads. I'm fairly sure the 4.9 has fixed ALL those design flaws 😅
I am the proud owner of an immaculate self maintained 4.9 and all I hear is nightmare after nightmare for NS, or at least until clear out of the 90s for that motor and its sheeting head bolt curse

41 - 43 of 43 Posts