Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
none
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Cadillac and been very fixated on the ATS 2.0 Coupe. In a word it is my next lease. But I am not loving the "standard equipment" and what I must ADD to a car to make it equivalent to what I already have. I find it annoying that I must ad the "Drivers Assistance Package, at $3,400 to add Blind Spot Monitoring" that is becoming extremely common in even mid level cars(to say nothing of Luxury cars) Also, how can Navigation NOT be standard in a $42,000 Car? Really I have to pay $600 for heated seats?...Come on...All of these are standard in my #32k Mazda.Of course I know, a Mazda isn't a Cadillarc...But these are not extravagant luxuries...and the Cadillac IS a Luxury Car... So...I don't want to sound like I expect the best of all worlds without some cost...I'm just looking to find what is standard in may, less expensive vehicles...near standard on mine. I know they won't be here for the 2015 Model year, but I am asking..odes anyone have any insights as to what may be added as "Standard" equipment for the 2016 ATS coupes?

I know when I lease it will be after the GM Card $2,000 top off and that will be much later this year, so I am aiming at getting a early 2016 and HOPEFULLY it has some things added that help take the sting out of paying ala carte for features that I hope will be standard...in 2016?

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
the level of standard equipment that ought or ought not be on the cars is a value judgement that has been argued here aplenty....a lot has been said on the subject

to get you started consider that the ATS is a compact "luxury" sedan and coupe not just a compact sedan or coupe and as such should be compared in class not jump classes that means compare it to A4, 3 Series, IS, C-Class and see what you find option wise...if we jump classes we open up to absurd comparisons like "i just graduated law school and want to celebrate getting my first job by upgrading from my Accord to the Ghibli i can now afford...why is Maserati charging me for what Honda gives away? it's not right for what they charge"

i think you will find the in class comparisons eye opening and even eye watering at how unequipped they all are at the standard level...hope this helps

----------

but back to your question the only thing announced for 2016 equipment wise so far is for the ATS-V only

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,399 Posts
Compare it to similar cars and decide if what you get for the money is worth it to you. Whether it comes "Standard" or as an option you have to pay extra for is really irrelevant, what it costs to get the car you want and what others in it's class cost with the same features are what matters.

When people say they want something "Standard" they really don't, they just don't want to pay the final price for what the car costs after they get it to the level they desire. If they made "Driver's Assistance Package" Standard and increased the price of all cars by $3400 (using your numbers) it wouldn't help anything.

I am happy with the car I have but I can see a lot of good reasons to buy a less expensive car with more features (although I don't feel the end result will be the same on the lower priced car).

I don't expect big changes on the "Standards" for 2016 or what the car will cost after you add items that you want. I think it is really early for them to announce anything.

·
Registered
none
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the idea of "you get what you pay for" concept as well as, "whether its standard or a add-on you pay for it either way"...But i do not agree that I should look at the car a as "Compact luxury car" ergo features may not be included in a base car"...Phooey...its a luxury car.... As I look to equip the vehicle its a $42k vehicle...For $42k it IS Luxury by any definition. And as I think it is fair to define, luxury should include as standard heated seats and navigation. I don't like the feeling I have to "ala carte a vehicle to have it equipped the way a luxury car should be. I've watched several "mew models" mature in a second year with new "standard features" with little change to the base cost. I hope the CTS coupe does the same, hence...the original question.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
Please don't feel offended by our relatively harsh replies. The truth is topics such as "option X is not standard in my $50k luxury car but my wife's Kia/Hyndai/Mazda/.... has it standard" show up at least once a week and it becomes a little tiring for regulars such as me. I have lost the count of such topics. Navigation, sunroof, heated seat, blind spot monitor, fuel door lock, folding rear seats, ..... you name it.

Cars such as Kia and Hyndai (and virtually all of today's mid-size family sedans) are best value cars; you get the most for every dollar you spend! They put every option you can imagine in their cars, and truth be told the final price tag is a very attractive comparing what you get. But luxury-performance segment is different. First, the starting price tag is higher. There are two reasons for this: 1) you get a state-of-the-art chassis, state-of-the-art steering, and state-of-the-art braking systems, all in a RWD platform. This requires billion dollar investments from car manufactures to build such new systems. 2) You pay for the badge and the brand!

And then starting from this base price you need to pay more to get options in your car. I am not into Lexus and don't know about their cars, but base 3-series and C-class are really base and you have to pay to get options.

If you are into options for the least amount of money, and if you want a car that get the most for you money, you shouldn't be looking for an ATS or any other luxury performance car! Buying a luxury car is not financially a good idea!

And by the way, if I were you, I wouldn't emphasize the LUXURY argument too much! I would argue that ATS, C class, IS, and 3 series are entry level luxury-sports cars. If you want the real luxury, you have to go and look for S-class, 7 series, or Lexus LS. The focus of 3 series and ATS are more on performance and sportiness rather than on luxury!

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts
If you are into options for the least amount of money, and if you want a car that get the most for you money, you shouldn't be looking for a luxury car! Buying a luxury car is not financially a good idea!

And by the way, if I were you, I wouldn't emphasize the LUXURY argument too much! I would argue that ATS, C class, IS, and 3 series are entry level luxury-sports cars. If you want the real luxury, you have to go and look for S-class, 7 series, or Lexus LS. The focus of 3 series and ATS are more on performance and sportiness rather than on luxury!
Absolutely Ben, you are spot on! People forget the more expensive materials used on both the interior and exterior of luxury cars, in addition to state-of-the-art design and engineering as you pointed out. What part of luxury entry cars don't people get? The ATS was especially designed at low and high price points to appeal to those that A: want the performance and sportiness without the luxuries at a higher cost and B: those that want it all; including the luxuries and niceties. This concept is not going to change IMO any time soon for Cadillac ATS; if you can't afford it or feel that your not getting enough for your money, move on and buy something cheaper and more in line with your budget.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Absolutely Ben, you are spot on! People forget the more expensive materials used on both the interior and exterior of luxury cars, in addition to state-of-the-art design and engineering as you pointed out. What part of luxury entry cars don't people get? The ATS was especially designed at low and high price points to appeal to those that A: want the performance and sportiness without the luxuries at a higher cost and B: those that want it all; including the luxuries and niceties. This concept is not going to change IMO any time soon for Cadillac ATS; if you can't afford it or feel that your not getting enough for your money, move on and buy something cheaper and more in line with your budget.
Agree, not seeing how having one ATS that includes everything at a much higher price is going to help things. Also not seeing having one car that includes everything at a really low price is going to happen. I also can understand when someone says they decided to purchase a less expensive option. If the point is to get from point A to point B the ATS isn't the best financial option. As said above, some don't seem to be putting a value on all of the "design and engineered systems" that aren't simple check boxes (like handling, acceleration, braking, ride, and design). I actually wish I could have gotten more of the "performance" items and given up some of the "luxury" items, basically had more choices, but I do understand the issue Cadillac has with trying to reduce the model variations.

·
Registered
18 Coupe, turbo, auto, dp,E 85,tune
825 Posts
ATS could get the new 3.0 "bent" 6 cyl engine coming in 2016. It is said to offer twin turbos in one model of this new engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The point you make is the reason I haven't bought an ATS yet. I actually think the cars are priced right for what you get. But, I want the performance features like MRC without the tech like lane departure warning and CUE. The fact that each trim level builds on the one below it is the problem because you are forced to spend on features you don't want. Offering packages like peformance, tech and safety independently would be far more attractive to this car shopper. If you count the variations offered currently on the ATS, there are more then 20, so what they are doing now isn't exactly streamlined.

I actually wish I could have gotten more of the "performance" items and given up some of the "luxury" items, basically had more choices, but I do understand the issue Cadillac has with trying to reduce the model variations.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport White Diamond
13 Posts
Adding to what was already said. the ATS is Cadillac's least expensive offering. It is catering to a crowd that doesn't necessarily expect every feature nor wants to pay for it. look at how the CTS and XTS is packaged and this will become very clear.

I don't expect much to change for 2016.

and $600 for heated seats and steering wheel is a steal considering what those options are normally packaged with at a much higher price!

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0t
85 Posts
Lol I have the 2014 standard CTS which is 48k and it doesn't have HID headlights or backup camera, I mean it bothers me sometimes but honestly I don't care anymore, the quality of the interior, quality of the ride and the overall experience of driving it made me forget all about it.....good thing is for 2018 the The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is requiring car manufactures to include backup cameras standard! I know that's a long way but at least we don't have to worry about this in our next car purchases or lease!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Lol I have the 2014 standard CTS which is 48k and it doesn't have HID headlights or backup camera, I mean it bothers me sometimes but honestly I don't care anymore, the quality of the interior, quality of the ride and the overall experience of driving it made me forget all about it.....good thing is for 2018 the The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is requiring car manufactures to include backup cameras standard! I know that's a long way but at least we don't have to worry about this in our next car purchases or lease!
Basically, like everything else that is standard you will pay for it whether you want it or not. Standard <> free and I would prefer it was left as an option.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
preferred method to type not equal <> or ≠

and yes Standard ≠ Free, Standard does = Included at this Price...so NHTSA just raised the price of every inexpensive 2018 vehicle

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts