Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping rims and I didn't know my current offset, I'm an 04 V6 with the 16" ug-o rims. In need of a serious change...

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Stock offset is 51mm. If you go wider, make sure you put the width on the outside (decreasing the offset). 40mm offset on an 8" wide wheel is pretty standard here.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pardon my ignorance, whats a hubcentric ring? Forgot to ask in the first place, are we at a 5x100 or 5x114.3 bolt pattern? So if I bought an 18x7.5 wheel with a 42" offset, would it theoretically stick out to the side of the car a little bit?

Here are the wheel's I'm considering for simplicity's sake. Any opinions on how they'd look would be appreciated as well. Thanks guys!

http://www.wheelmax.com/product.asp?ProdId=9896

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
Our bolt pattern is 5 x 115, most A.M. rims come in at 114.3 to fit a wide Variety of rims, that's what the hub centric ring Robert is talking about is for. So that a 5x114.3 rim can fit on our cars w/o resting on the lugs.

Got this from a different site but it gives u some knowledge on the hub rings,

"Hub centric rings are manufactured so that when they are installed on a vehicle, the wheels are located directly off of the centre flange of the brake drum or rotor. This is done to insure that the outer beads of the wheel are concentric with the wheel bearings. The result is a much truer, better balanced tire/wheel assembly. This is very important with modern high tech suspension systems."

Like your rim choice by the way, nice...

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
42mm on a 7.5" wheel will fit fine. It will move 9mm further toward the fender, but no where near hitting it. If you go with an 8" wide wheel you can change your tire size to 245/45R18's which is slightly larger in diameter than stock (same size as the V), and wider.

The V has 8.5" x 18" wheels with a 42mm offset, as I recall. They fit in the fenders just fine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So are the hubcentric rings something I must buy in addition to the wheels, or are they already there? Did you see anything on the wheels in the link I gave? Thanks for helping a rookie...

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
For our cars, you need 70.5mm center bore diameter for hubcentric rings. The OD will be whatever your particular wheel center hub diameter is. Basically, if you don't go with a 5x115mm lug spacing wheel and 70.5mm center bore, (not much selection compared to 5x114.3mm, which is 4.5"), you'll need to adapt your center bore to the CTS's.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So in laymens terms, I shouldn't be buying 5x114.3 wheels unless I plan on modifying them? I am more confused now than when I started :). What is the center bore?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright so I called and they ship with plastic hubcentric rings. Why are these bad and where can I get metal ones if you can convince me that I should ;)?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
You won't have to modify the wheels at all. The Hubcentric rings simply snap into the larger, wheel center bore to neck them down to the proper fit. Plastic rings are better than no rings, but you may find that over time, they may break down. That gives you time to hunt for aluminum ones.

I got a sweet deal on some 18"x8" five spoke Mille Miglia Evo's that came with the proper aluminum rings and 5x115mm, 40mm offset from EBay. I didn't have to worry about all of this.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
johnnybn said:
Alright so I called and they ship with plastic hubcentric rings. Why are these bad and where can I get metal ones if you can convince me that I should ;)?
The plastic rings crushed on me and did some damage to my rotor hats. So I ordered aluminum rings from Discount Tire. Cost is $15-$20. http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
johnnybn said:
This would all be solved if I could just find those MC2 Vauss rims somewhere..
Check here: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=MC2CTS

And no, u dont have to mod rims that come 5 x 114.3, u just need to add the Hub ring (which snaps right on the inside of the rim) for a perfect fit. Most rims dealers provide the rings, but they're the plastic ones, which arent the best but will do until ur able to get some metal ones.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I've seen that page, and those are some tight rims. Nothing beats the old MC2's though. I wonder why they stopped making them...

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
It's true you can buy rims with the perfect center bore. You need no hub centric rings. But I was after style and was willing to put up with the rings.
They simply serve as spacers so your rides on the hubs and not the wheel studs. Here's what I ended up with.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
your rims are sweet, theyre just a little too "blingy" for me. I mean, I couldn't really pull up in front of a client's house with those. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts