Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i been having issues with my window switch for a while now or i thought it was the switch. my first one stoped working so i got another one and it worked good for maybe 3 months and then the issue came up again window will roll down but i will have a hard time getting it up. so today since i had off i wanted to see what was going on. i took the switch out and clicked the down botton and nothing it wouldnt go down. then when i moved the switch in an angle it went down. i didnt even press the button and it went down. but when i click the up button it went up fine. in my video u can hear the window going down and see how i turned it. but its only in a certain way when its turned that it goes down. so my question is how the hell can turning the swtich in a way cause the window to go down without pressing the button? could it be my factory harness?

at the beginning i try the down button and nothing until i turn it to my left.

·
Registered
eldorado
125 Posts
Thats easy..One of 2 things the plug has a bad connection and when you move it it connects , the window goes down cause you already set the express down on the switch..#2 you have a broken wire in the harness in the door .. Try holding the switch still where it wont work and push on the plug if it works its the plug conn.. if not try wiggling the wires in the door if that works its a wire.. TA DA!!!!

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Good ol fashion touch and go. The only real way to find a short is to start from the switch and work your way down until you find it. Electrical shorts are a pain in the a$$ when you dont know where to start. Lucky your short can easily be tracked down considering you know where to start and the wire harness isnt that long. Take off your door panel and begin tracking down the short, you'll know when found it because your window will start to work when you hit it.

·
Registered
eldorado
125 Posts
If its a broken wire it will be broken insind the plastic covering, if you hold the switch and pull the wire as far away as you can grab and pull, if the wire is not broken it will be solid if broken it will be stretchy , Dont pull to hard you'll know when you find the broken one, i would check the switch conn first..

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
No guys, I have seen this exact thing on my friend’s 97’ STS. Trust me, is the harness connector!
Pull the connector out and observe how thin the contacts are on the switch side (the male pins) - razor blade thin, and is enough to be loose-ish inside the harness connector and makes intermittent contact.
Just make sure the contacts (female pins) are very tight (use a small flat head screwdriver) by forcing the contacts closer. Eventually bend lengthwise the switch pins so the pin is tighter in the harness connector. It might feel like is getting in tight but that’s the plastic the pins are not tight.
You can actually remove the wires (one by one) with pins attached out of the plastic harness connector and tighten the contact one by one. Use a very, very small flat head screwdriver (or a larger paper clip). There is a tab holding the wires in the connector (they snap in place when pushed in). So I repeat the problems is in the loose connectors on the harness. That should be your main focus, bending the tabs on the switch connector is kind-of dirty quick fix (but not the kind of fix you do for something you like to hold on).

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
You mean another switch or another harness connector?
As mentioned IS NOT THE SWITCH PART is the connector at the end of the harness (the one that plugs into the switch). You can not replace that (is part of the car harness).
But you don’t need to replace it. Just remove from the plastic one by one each wire (NO WIRE CUTTING) and tighten the contact together. Then insert back into the plastic connector. Remove only ONE wire at a time (so you don’t get confused witch wire was where). There is a small key that releases when inserting a paper clip and the wire comes out easy (DO NOT PULL HARD). Those terminals become loose so the tabs on the switch connector (the ones that insert inside when plugging the harness connector to the switch module) are loose inside and make intermittent contact.
When you move the switch (like in the video) the wires shift a little inside the connector and makes/or break the contact (since the pins are loose).
So you can purchase even a NEW window switch and you have the same problem since the contacts on the harness connector are loose. Trust me I know exactly what I am talking about.
I think the connectors are called S (from slipper). Imagine your foot is the tab (contact) on the switch part of the connector and the terminals at the end of the wires on the harness connector are slippers. Now imagine the slippers are too large for your feet (became loose in time) so when inserting the feet into the slipper is shifting around (as in makes no contact). Well your problems are the slippers (too loose) not your foot. Now the slipper is attached to a wire (that contact is good) and is inserted in a plastic enclosure (the connector). Now you know what’s the problem – tighten the slippers.

·
Registered
eldorado
125 Posts
No guys, I have seen this exact thing on my friend’s 97’ STS. Trust me, is the harness connector!
Pull the connector out and observe how thin the contacts are on the switch side (the male pins) - razor blade thin, and is enough to be loose-ish inside the harness connector and makes intermittent contact.
Just make sure the contacts (female pins) are very tight (use a small flat head screwdriver) by forcing the contacts closer. Eventually bend lengthwise the switch pins so the pin is tighter in the harness connector. It might feel like is getting in tight but that’s the plastic the pins are not tight.
You can actually remove the wires (one by one) with pins attached out of the plastic harness connector and tighten the contact one by one. Use a very, very small flat head screwdriver (or a larger paper clip). There is a tab holding the wires in the connector (they snap in place when pushed in). So I repeat the problems is in the loose connectors on the harness. That should be your main focus, bending the tabs on the switch connector is kind-of dirty quick fix (but not the kind of fix you do for something you like to hold on).
I thought that what i said ?? maby i wasn't clear enough with the bad connection part? But as soon as you said trust me i know what im talking about.. i knew i shoud have waited till you got around to this post rather than me bothering with it..

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Sorry 93eldodave I just briefly fly by over the replies and all I could see was switch and broken wires. Sorry no offense intended to anybody, just remember exactly my friends had seeing the video (and he was also into replacing the switch module).

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok thanks everyone for the great advice i guess i'll have another project to keep me busy today!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts