Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently a local Cadillac Dealer/Service Department moved out of a large building and into a nearby smaller (very small) building. This is the building that Kia moved out of when they moved into a bigger building..

So now Cadillac is in Kia's old building - and Honda has come along - destroyed the old Cadillac building - and built one twice the size of the Cadillac dealership...

Now I just noticed the local Pontiac dealer closed down and it's owned by Suzuki...

What the heck is going on here?!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Just recently a local Cadillac Dealer/Service Department moved out of a large building and into a nearby smaller (very small) building. This is the building that Kia moved out of when they moved into a bigger building..

So now Cadillac is in Kia's old building - and Honda has come along - destroyed the old Cadillac building - and built one twice the size of the Cadillac dealership...

Now I just noticed the local Pontiac dealer closed down and it's owned by Suzuki...

Well, we won the war and lost the peace.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
THAT is THE reason I bought a '03 Town Car. (Which I love - and never would have known the joy of it, had my LOCAL Cadillac/Olds/Pontiac dealership not closed!!!) My NEXT NEAREST Caddy dealer is 15-17 miles away. THAT is a long haul to go when trouble happens and thecar is not running right!! The Lincoln dealer is 7 miles away, and I do not have to use an interstate to get there!!

What you are witnessing is the gradual death of the American made/nameplate automobile. Plymouth was first - followed by Oldsmobile this coming July (2004). Rumor mill suggests next may be Mercury.

You see, Americans have been hoodwinked into thinking that if a car is MADE in AMERICA, then it is AMERICAN!! Thereby making Nissan, BMW, Toyota and Honda "American"! Right? Sure!!

Do you think......for one moment, if G.M. went over to Japan or Korea and built a Pontiac assembly plant that the natives would view Pontiac as Japanese (or Korean) ?? Of course NOT ! They are not dumb!!!!!!!!!

THAT is what's going on. It's become socially acceptible to buy a "American" Japanese car!

In Japan you are scorned for not buying YOUR COUNTRIES product.
In the future, GM will be bought by Toyota and Ford by Honda AND/or Nissan, and they will retian certain hi profile names, such as Cadillac, Buick, Ford.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
Around here there is a lot of shuffling due to Oldsmobile going away. Some dealers picked up Korean brands. One Olds dealer picked up Buick from down the road and the former Buick dealer is now exclusively imports.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Heh, around here we have a new caddy dealership, real nice. Just opened this year too. I havnt seen any of this really happening around here, but there are only like 3 caddy dealerships in a bay area that i know of. Anyone in the bay area, Dew cadillac is very nice.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
the only LOCAL (like 5 miles) delaers are a Ford and Chevy dealership.....few used car places.... but across the river, there is a whole row of dealerships....pretty much every domestic/import brand you can think of.....

..... when I went to the Cadillac dealership, this one saleman was real nice to me, even though I am obviously not buying a new Caddy and he loved my car.... but when I went into the service depot.... nobody really paid attention to me, or any of my questions or anything (it is a chevy, olds and caddy dealership) it got annoying, I wanted to get some info, and the guy ran a very simple search and was like, yeah, your car is too old to look stuff up (any recalls done, any history etc...) when I wanted to get parts they just weren't really helpful.......

....when I went to the local Chevy dealership to try and order some parts fo rthe DeVille.... they were nice, the service guy was nice too.....the part number for 1 part was really hard to find, so he came out to my car and checked it out etc.... it was the outside gasket that goes around the chrome stuff for the window....not made anymore, but GM wanted $635 for it... yeah, ok, so I left....

·
Registered
ATS AWD Luxury Turbo
150 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:

Believe me. I'm not trying to be funny, but Caddy customers are dying faster than they are replaced in some areas. That's why Caddy is in such a hurry to develop the market in the under 40 segment.

I bought my car at the largest dealer in the Country (self proclaimed) My salesman said 80% of his customer will be dead in less than 10 years, and there are very few younger folks taking their place. He's scared poopy.

My cousin is a Cadillac salesman in Chicago. He confirms the demographic of the average buyer. He's going to retire in 5 years, and claims he'll outlast most of his regular customers.

Caddy has seen it coming, but it's too late for some dealers who haven't seen the light. It's even too late for some that have, but are in the wrong demographic/geographic area. It's a serious time for some older dealers.

The average dealer has to find a way to keep both the fogey and x generations happy. Very few have. It's strange that some import dealerships have discovered that secret, but darned few domestics have. Great service is sure a good start. My dealer rocks, and I would have no problem buying from it again if htey have the kind of product I'm looking for.

Caddy isn't out of the woods, but it looks like they are looking for the right balance. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The truth of the matter is......Me Katshot HotRodSaint and the rest of the conspiritors got together and had the dealerships closed in a twisted evil right wing plot to thwart Sandman....

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kcnewell said:
The truth of the matter is......Me Katshot HotRodSaint and the rest of the conspiritors got together and had the dealerships closed in a twisted evil right wing plot to thwart Sandman....
Thanks, KC. Way to let the cat out of the bag. Since you spilled the beans, I might as well go over our ingenious plan (yes, count me in as well). If enough Cadillac dealerships close in the Tampa area, Sandman may decide it's not worth keeping his car because drives to the repair shop would be rather cumbersome - being some 150 miles or so away. This being the case, there's at least some chance of him trading with me for my Fleetwood Brougham since my car likely has fewer issues. Being that I'm in New York - no matter how many Cadillac dealerships close down, I'll always be close to one - so I wouldn't be affected by this conspiracy...

Otherwise.. It's a scary thought that Toyota would buy GM one day - and Honda or Nissan would buy Ford.. Imagine?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
If Toyota bought G.M. I'd be screwed because we all know that I won't buy a car built by a company with a Japanese parent company.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
This is true....But the damned Germans kinda pissed me off with their resistance to the Iraq thing.....So I'd have to think about that one!

Thank god Peterbilt is still an all American company....Could you imagine buying a $250,000 ricer truck?

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
A diesel with a fart can..... that would have to sound interesting.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
I think that the next big merger will be GM/Honda. It will probably be equivalent to Ford taking in Mazda, Volvo, and Jaguar. GM & Honda have already laid the groundwork for some cooperative development. Toyota is big, but I don't think they're big enough to buy GM.

I was in a BMW dealership this morning getting the Z serviced. Nice place. HUGE place. It put me in the mood to buy.

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
"GM/Honda" thats already starting to happen , saturn which is what GM used to go head to head with the import cars is now useing 3.5l vtec honda engines , so far only the VUE , the the L series i hear will also get honda engines

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
In my small area (Essex County) New Jersey in the past - Oh, 2 years or so here's what has closed down:-

One Cadillac/Oldsmobile/Pontiac Dealer
One Mercedes-Benz Dealer
One Chevrolet Dealer
One Buick Dealer
One Oldsmobile Dealer
Here's what's opened:
Nothing !
There is an over abundence of Chrysler/Jeep dealers. 4 in the county!

The sad part is that if you drive by "Automobile Row" on a Saturday early afternoon, the Salesmen in the domestic dealers are standing around talking to each other or maybe one or two is with a customer. Across the street at the Honda & the Toyota stores, every single salesman is with a customer, and other customers are seen leaning against their cars WAITING patiently for a salesperson!! That Hurts! :banghead:

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Stoneage_Caddy said:
"GM/Honda" thats already starting to happen , saturn which is what GM used to go head to head with the import cars is now useing 3.5l vtec honda engines , so far only the VUE , the the L series i hear will also get honda engines
Also I think it is Honda? that is using OnStar.....

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Up here, I still see a lot more American (domestic in my mind) new cars than imports. My friend works at the local Ford dealership, and on a good Saturday they can sell around 9-14 cars. True, I see a LOT of people at the Honda dealership, but overall more American cars. When you buy a "Japanese American" car, I am willing to wager that most of that money goes overseas to the head office, etc.

About ten or more years ago it was feared that Pontiac would be killed off also. Does anyone else remember this? I read many "High Performance Pontiac" Magazines at the time to learn this. Isn't the Matrix/Vibe a joint project between Pontiac and Toyota? I haven't yet heard about the GM/Honda merger, but I don't doubt it. I would be more likely inclined to think Toyota and GM would merge.

I think there will actually be an INCREASED demand for Cadillacs in the future and some of you MIGHT be too fearful of Cadillac's demise. I believe when the baby boomers begin to retire very shortly, they will be looking for a nice,luxurious car. They may also be at that age where they will remember the past and ONLY buy an American luxury car like Cadillac/Lincoln. My stepdad whom I respect very much, will only buy an American car! He hates any foreign car and believes they can never be as nice as an American luxury car. I think he is correct when one compares Caddy/Lincoln to any other, the Caddy/Linc will ride nicer IMO.

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
gm and toyota have been building cars together for years , it started in early 90s with the GEO prisim

isuzu has been the longest gm partner , ever since the chevy luv of the 70s to the Spectrum (i mark) of the 80s and the storm of the 90s (impulse)

but with isuzu its now going the other way , isuzu got a version of the s10 then got the envoy and will get a version of the chevy colorado next year

BTW looked at a new colorado ext cab last night , i couldnt get the left front door to close , service had to come out and work on it , it still isnt right either , looks like some quailty issues to me , i looked at it myself and the rear suicide door colses all the way but for some reason the drivers door doesnt

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
In Cobourg, 18000 pop. new Chevy dealership to replace the old one is being built, Pontic dealer in the top ten of Canada will expanding, building built in 1988.
In Port Hope 15000 pop. 6mile away from Cobourg. Chevy Cad dealer has expanded ,building built in 1989 and a new Pontic dealership to replace the old one is being built just openned.

Pop of the area is only 60,000
Someone must be buying GM product
Cobourg is across the lake from Rocherster

1 - 20 of 28 Posts