Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi My name is Anthony, I m currently in the market for a new ride. I have always had Fords such as Tbirds,Probe Gt,5.0 Mustang and just recently flipped in an Explorer. I think Its time I get something different. I have been really interested in the looks and performance of the Eldorados of 93-02. Plus its a nice looking car with some good room for my 6 ' 4'' dumb ass. ok thats that.

I basicly would like to know the differences and what not in the years. Like which is the best mechanically and best features. I am prob looking to spend around $4500 on my next ride.

If anyone can guide me in the right way that'd be great. Thanks in advance..

-Anthony

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
$4500 is going to limit you to an older Eldo unless you happen to find a really good deal somewhere.
E.g. I checked NADA for a '93 ETC and they avg retailed for $10K. This looks pretty high. I checked KBB and it was more like $6K. Again, these are retail (dealer) values.

Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I Need DUBs said:
Hi My name is Anthony, I m currently in the market for a new ride. I have always had Fords such as Tbirds,Probe Gt,5.0 Mustang and just recently flipped in an Explorer. I think Its time I get something different. I have been really interested in the looks and performance of the Eldorados of 93-02. Plus its a nice looking car with some good room for my 6 ' 4'' dumb ass. ok thats that.

I basicly would like to know the differences and what not in the years. Like which is the best mechanically and best features. I am prob looking to spend around $4500 on my next ride.

-Anthony
Sorry man, but 4.5k will not get you a very nice Eldorado. 'Member, these cars retailed for 40k new.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can get a good 93 or 94 for about 6-7k. I paid 7k for my 94 one yr ago and it had a little over 70k on it.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I paid 4.3k for my 1993 Eldorado ETC in 2003 and it had a little over 100k on it. It might be possible to find a nice Eldo for 4.5k. More than likely though it will have to be a private owner or ebay.

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Man I paid 3800 for my 95 with 100k. It was missing a center cap, had a stuck EGR and bad FPR, bad sensor in the AC system, and the passenger side mirror was broken off and reattached with sheetrock screws. Other than those minor issues it's pretty much flawless. Runs great, has the crimson pearl paint option, heated leather and moonroof. You just have to find a good deal.

I'd say for your price range a 95-96 would work nicely. There were some minor interior changes for 96, so look at both and decide which you like and go from there. IIRC 96+ has DexCool which should provide some extra protection against headgasket failure.

·
Registered
878 Posts
When I bought mine a few years back I did some research whose results I've since forgotten. I crossed off the '93 and '94 model years because of known issues. I'm not certain what they were, but I *think* the tranny solenoids were one of the pre '95 concerns. In the end, I decided '95 and later were good years.

In retrospect, I'm kinda sorry I didn't spend the extra few bucks for a '96. The interior is a bit nicer.

Not complaining however, the '95 is a beauty. I bought it from a dealer so as to have some sort of warranty protection. Also, the dealer had the previous owner's service records (a BIG plus!).

As a former Mustang owner, and at 6' 4", you'll understand about the back seat. :)

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I dont recall any issues with the 93 and 94 --- esp not tranny sol. I believe the years to avoid was the 95 and 96.

Anyhow, i paid $4750 for mine with 68k miles on it. Up to 75k now and love the car. Wish it was red with vogues like GMENDOZ's though, thats a sweet looking car!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if you could afford it, but I own a '98 Eldo and it has been one nice ride! It has 80,000K now---I got it in 2000 w/24,000K. Still a great car, no squeaks, rattles and looks super.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I Need DUBs said:

-Anthony
Anthony....please remember....there is one critical factor when looking at used Cadillac's.

#1. Reliable, documented, maintenance history. If it does not exist or is spotty, the value of the car drops significantly. Proper maintenance is crucial.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
More than likely, if its got 100k on it already and is doing fine, it will last forever. 300k miles on these motors is common. The engine usually outlast all the other stuff on the car and most get sent to the junkyard with 200k or so. To make it to 300k you would just need to keep everything else going. Around here most 93-94 arent even at 200k yet and still driving around all over the place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know you're asking about '93 and up, but in response to the last post, I too can attest to how great the '92 is. I just drove mine up from south jersey this weekend (in the monsoon that we've been experiencing) and even in disgusting road conditions on the Garden State Parkway, the ride was lovely. Awesome highway car, and I'm looking forward to getting more familiar with the 4.9! It's not a N* but hey, it's my first caddy, eventually there will be a few N*s in my collection ;-)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
cl1986 said:
I dont recall any issues with the 93 and 94 --- esp not tranny sol. I believe the years to avoid was the 95 and 96.
Yeah...let's hear it for the 94s. Bought mine it '02 for $5900 with 92K. No major problems. Had some cold carbon rap which I took care of. Bought it from a big time dealer that had it posted on the net for $6300. I called the manager and said I was coming in to check it out. Well, I get there and was about to test drive it and some guy comes out with a sales sticker to put on the car...$7700. Of course this ticked my button. I told them if the test drive satisfied me, I was buying the car that night...and we'll start negotiating at $6300, not $7700.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Guy said:
A 6 hour trip at 72mph netted 28.2mpg in my 92 with the 4.9 engine. Awsome highway car!
Ill have to agree that the 4.9L does get better milage, but the extra 100 hp more that makes up for 2-3 MPG!!!

The 91 deville i had got great milage for the enormous size it was.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yikes. I have had no issues except an EGR and FPR with my '95.

Let me tell you something, Anthony. Almost any Eldo will make you a happy man. These cars have life, luxury and style. Not to mention something that BMW, Benz, Lexus and the rest can't really attest for - class and an air of power.

I may be going off a little deep here, but you are more than a car owner with one of these. You're a member of a family. And I for one hope to be able to welcome you to this family soon.

Good luck, and keep an eye on service records, as mentioned.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
14 Participants
LukeChumley