Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS V6
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before buying this 2011 I have never seen this before...
My guess it was the step between using a key and a button on the dash...?
Prolly had a bunch of steering columns to use up...? LOL
What years had this...?
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering wheel Rim

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
19,400 Posts
Second generation. It's on my '14 V Wagon.

Reactions: okeesignguy

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
16,486 Posts
Yep, '08-'14 in the Gen II CTS platform.
Some lesser equipped models came with an actual keyed ignition.

·
Registered
2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon*Luxury-2016 CTS V-Sport Premium
3,532 Posts
likely a way to integrate people who were used to having a key to the up and coming keyless cars...Long is correct (of course ;) ) the "Base" and usually the straight "Luxury" had a real key even up through 2014 (for the leftover models)...

Bill

·
Registered
2010 CTS4
4,103 Posts
I suspect that in the early days of GM designing the CTS, it initially had a keyed ignition and the plans/specs for parts for the steering column and dash were already too advanced for GM to accommodate a pushbutton-on-dash option without delaying the start of production or incurring additional costs. Somewhere along the way, the decision was made for a keyless option and the key paddle solution was born. The Gen 1 SRX and the STS and DTS of that era only had keyed ignition (IIRC) so keyless was new territory for GM. It was only two years after our cars debuted that the 2010 Gen 2 SRX was introduced and it only had a pushbutton on dash - no keyed option.

I am sure that GM didn't expect the gen 2 CTS to last as long as it did or otherwise they might have moved our cars to only button-on-dash as a mid-cycle refresh; instead, there really was no refresh and they waited until gen 3. Keep in mind that these were the bankruptcy years and development dollars were tight.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
3,622 Posts
Shortly after Cadillac switched to push button ignition, there was an owner on one of the Cadillac forums trying to drum up support for a class action lawsuit because he had turned his car off several times on the highway while trying to mute the infotainment system. Apparently he couldn't find enough people in his particular class of dumb :)

I had forgotten that my 2008 CTS had the fake key ignition and it never bothered me. It fit well with the classic styling of the CTS with its analog clock. I loved the interior of my 2008 RWD premium CTS and it was special to my daughter because I let her choose the color so then 5 year old Anna called it her first new car purchase. The 2014 ATS I traded the CTS for is now Anna's car but given the choice she would probably like her CTS back because it was a beauty!

Rodger

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive side marker light

Speedometer Car Tachometer Vehicle Gauge

Car Vehicle Smile Motor vehicle White

·
Registered
2010 CTS4
4,103 Posts
Shortly after Cadillac switched to push button ignition, there was an owner on one of the Cadillac forums trying to drum up support for a class action lawsuit because he had turned his car off several times on the highway while trying to mute the infotainment system. Apparently he couldn't find enough people in his particular class of dumb :)

I had forgotten that my 2008 CTS had the fake key ignition and it never bothered me. It fit well with the classic styling of the CTS with its analog clock. I loved the interior of my 2008 RWD premium CTS and it was special to my daughter because I let her choose the color so then 5 year old Anna called it her first new car purchase. The 2014 ATS I traded the CTS for is now Anna's car but given the choice she would probably like her CTS back because it was a beauty!

Rodger

View attachment 619151

View attachment 619149
View attachment 619150
Great story and cute kid!

We had a gen 1 SRX in that colour and it always attracted compliments.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
3,622 Posts
Great story and cute kid!

We had a gen 1 SRX in that colour and it always attracted compliments.
I loved how that car color changed depending upon the lighting.

Anna has good taste in car color! And she is now grown up and will be starting on the first of several degrees in Oregon this fall on her way to a PhD in applied math so I will add smart to her good taste in colors! She already has had a couple of academic research publications while she was still in high school and she enjoys reminding me that I was in my PhD program before publishing my first research so I guess that makes me slow :)

Rodger

Reactions: NorthernSRX

·
Registered
2011 CTS coupe 1989 Allante
5,163 Posts
My Jeep must be stopped for the push button to turn the engine off. Seems simple enough.
Do remember when I first got the CTS trying to remove the key...
Now have several cars that need velcro dots on the main buttons, really began in the late 80s for GM with steering wheel controls.
Vehicle Car Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
1,614 Posts
My Jeep must be stopped for the push button to turn the engine off. Seems simple enough.
Do remember when I first got the CTS trying to remove the key...
Now have several cars that need velcro dots on the main buttons, really began in the late 80s for GM with steering wheel controls.
View attachment 619179
Try either long push and hold (3 to 5 seconds) or quick double/triple tap (panic mode) on the Jeep to turn it off while moving. Most mfg have this built in including the Toyota involved in the imfamous stuck at WOT run away.

·
Registered
2011 CTS coupe 1989 Allante
5,163 Posts
Mine still has a mechanical shifter. My first reaction on a runaway is neutral/clutch in (can't remember happening since the new 67 Camaro I had. Motor mount broke and bound the throttle. Also first recall I had.

·
Premium Member
2008 Escalade Sport, 2018 Escalade Luxury & 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE
2,368 Posts
Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Car seat cover

Motor vehicle Radio Satellite radio Steering part Automotive design

My Avery loved her 2008 Escalade and when we bought our 2018 I let her pick which one and the color.

Rodger

View attachment 619151

View attachment 619149
View attachment 619150

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Very nice photos of Avery, thanks for sharing! It is fun and smart to give children a voice in making decisions and letting them be part of the process. As a marketing prof, I believe it is never too early to start learning good decision making.

Anna and I both liked Laguna Blue when I ordered my Corvette Z06 in 2016. We took museum delivery and Anna got to ride in the car through the museum lobby while I took photos since the new owner isn't allowed to drive it in the museum.

We did the tour of Bowling Green Assembly Plant before I ordered the car and Anna was selected from our group to start a new Z06 when it made it to the end of the assembly line. Anna has always been the rule following type and when the plant manager motioned her over to climb in the car and start it, she stopped at the red "do not cross" line. He told her she was now temporarily a GM employee and she was allowed to cross the line :)

Rodger
Smile Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Smile Green Leaf Natural environment Plant

Reactions: silversport
1 - 16 of 16 Posts