Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 sls now and have a chance to get a 97 model. I know the 94 had trouble with the engine seal leaking and it cost me about $1200 to fix. Did the 97sls have any similar problem? Were their any changes to amount to anything?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
George, I think your mileage might vary. I don't think any model year sticks out as bad for the Seville. The newer the better I say, but who knows, you might pick up a '97 that may potentially need a new transimission while a similar '96 only needs new brakes.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Hmm.. How far off are you to a '98? Lots of changes that year.. I think the 97 and 94 are very similar - but every year made minor improvements... I'm moving this to the Seville section... You're IN it now...

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
In general, there were improvements made year by year. For instance, improvements off the top of my head:

1995: added composite intake manifold, good for 5hp.
1996: added MAF and DEX-COOL coolant. Also, new interior.
1997: improved front suspension geometry and increased front brake size. Also, CV-RSS now standard on both SLS and STS.
1998: whole body change from E/K platform to G platform (same as Aurora). I'm not as familiar with the 98+ cars, so I'll defer to better information about those. For a detailed list, check here:

http://caddyinfo.netgetgoing.com/sevilleyearbyyear.htm

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
It's lauded to be the stiffest chassis General Motors makes. The Aurora has been built on it since its inception, and the Seville went to it starting in 1998. There's supposed to be a big improvement in NVH over a 1997 model. I've never ridden in a 98+ car, so I can't compare. Maybe someone else can.

As an aside, this is also why an exhaust system for a 1998+ Seville requires modifications to be installed on a 1997- car...because the chassis is different and the exhaust is shaped slightly different. The mufflers are also vastly different, but that's a discussion for another forum. :)

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
No, I don't think so. The Eldorado did indeed continue through 2002 on the E/K platform and would not have received the improvements found in the 1998 Seville.

Having said that, I'm sure they may have made some changes between '97 and '02, but I don't know the details on those changes, if any. I would assume that the changes were largely trim and interior changes on the Eldo during that time period, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, 1998 Riviera up to their finish had the Aurora chassis as well. From being under my 92 Riviera(Lube, oil change, cleaning) it looks a lot like the Eldorado(96).....

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I think all the 1995+ Rivieras were on the G-chassis (Aurora). One tell-tale sign is the location of the battery. With the G-chassis, it's under the back seat.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You're Right about all the 1995+ Rivieras being on the G-chassis. I never knew that, never checked it out. Hey, a blower equipped 96 Riviera would be a cheaper alternative to a 1998 STS as they are both G-chassis. And it's a COUPE, for those that like 2-doors(me). You got my wheels turning, Maybe I'll add a G-chassis to the group. Thanks....

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
They are coupes, that's for sure. They do have a totally different interior motif, that's also for sure. Where I think the Seville is cozy and inviting, the Buick certainly has a hard-edged Retro flair to it. I certainly like it just as much as the Cadillacs, but some may not. It really is too bad about the passing of the personal coupe. The Eldorado, Riviera, previous T-bird, Mark VIII...they were all such great cars. All the "executives" from the baby-boomer generation have passed on to favor 4-doors and trucks I guess. Maybe in another 10-15 years as Generation X becomes of executive age, we may see a resurgence of personal luxury coupes.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Id personally rather have 2 doors on a car. My fav are luxury sport coupes. I have the eldo now, before that i had a 91 tbird with a 5.0 in it.... I jaut wish someone would make an afordable, big, RWD V8 car again.

The GTO will be too much for me. I want something cheapper... and with a modular motor (DOHC V8).

·
Registered
99 STS
103 Posts
I had a 97 Deville Concours that I thought was a hell of car. Great ride & power.
The 99 Seville has it beat in all depts. The ride is not only tighter than the Concours it is also smoother. Goes over bumps as well or better than it goes around corners. And I hear the new magnetic shocks are even better. Lucky for me I dont sit in the back seat though.
What will they think of next.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts