Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1979 sdv
27 Posts
Angela
I have followed mostly all of the posting on this and other boards but you seem to be more involved in the cad 425 than most, I to am intrested in the 425 cad for a number of reasons #1 being weight.So i've been waiting and watching for your posting of the progress of your project,I hope I'am not being to forward.believe I'am not trying too.

oyoung

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Dude.... nearly 2 and a half years ago this was posted! I remember it :)....

Angela hasn't been around for a loooong time.... haven't heard anything about her since..... she is the only person that I know of that was doing a real high performance build on the 425, she also used to live like 20mins from me back in NY.... wonder where she is now...

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
BTW.... weight isn't a reason to pick a 425 over a 472/500... the weight difference is IIRC around 25lbs... nearly nothing. Throw the Edelbrock intake on a 500 and you are already under the weight of a stock 425.

Angela went with the 425 for the simple reason that it was free and she had it around. I was interested to hear the results on that engine also.

·
Registered
1979 sdv
27 Posts
Night Wolf I guess I should notice the date on some of these posting,anyway the 1977cad S/M states that the 1977 425cu.engine is 100lbs lighter than the previous engine which was the 500cu.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
I have a couple years of reading on me now... If there's a great reason you need ~100 pounds, and you are not shooting for a whole lot of power, a 425 might not be a bad choice. Plus you can pick them up for damn near free since most everyone goes for 500/472s. Anyway what're your goals with the vehicle and engine?

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
100lbs?

I remember it was just a lighter block and crankshaft... on CB7 I remember reading 25lbs or so.. I could be wrong.

Even if it was 100lbs... the 500 has more power out of the box, and go-fast parts will do more, that should negate the extra weight....

but if weight really is a concern, then the 425 is a fine engine... its a fine engine in either case, just outshined by the 472/500.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts