Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 99% that I'm not selling this car anytime soon, but if I did, what would be a reasonable price range?

Just looking for opinions here, I am asked all the time if it's for sale, but I always say no. If the bug to find another were to bite, I wonder what's a fair price, and what's a "make me sell" price.

1995, 135K, absolutely everything works (but the ALS is disconnected currently). It's absolutely as clean as it looks, inside and out.

Touch screen JVC head unit, with bluetooth and NAV, plays DVDs, all clarion speakers and a Kenwood amp with an Alpine sub in the trunk. Also has aftermarket keyless entry, alarm, and remote start with a 1/2 miles range. Would come with the 18" wheels that are pictured, with a set of Pirellis for the summer, and a set of Blizzaks for the winter, all 8 tires have about 75% of their tread left.

All fluids have been maintained regularly, everything's been flushed in the last couple of years, oil has been Mobil 1 since 75K. Brakes front and rear are less than a year old. About the only real problem with the car is that the bumperettes are missing (front and rear). I had them off to refinish, and they got lost in a move.

Anyway, I know what I paid for it was a steal, but I've put a few grand in it. So based on your thoughts, I'm hoping to see what and if I've gone overboard. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Well, I would have to look up what a 95 with 135,000 is worth. So probably not the "knowledgeable" guy for this question.

However, a lack of facts has never prevented me from voicing an opinion in the past...why start now!:hmm:

The "make me sell it" price is easy, Take book and add all the extras and when someone asks, start at that number.
Never know, the right guy, cash rich from today's "dealings", and you might get lucky.
In any case, it is a wonderful place to start the conversation.
If you want to be polite, tell them that is what you have in it and ask what they think it is worth?

1st lesson in car selling school was, "You can't get it, if you don't ask.":lol:

The rest gets really messy and complicated.
If you want to sell and replace with the same, then keep as many of the add-ons as you can.
Even for someone who loves every item, they will never be worth retail to them, which is what it will cost you again to replace.

Then you have to consider the people like me who will not even go look at a car if I see an after factory head in the dash, and speakers and amps in the trunk.
I am not even anti-amp and speaker/head unit. I will be installing some in my 87 when I have a chance. I have just seen too many abortions over the years.
If I want an amp, speakers, and head unit, I will install it (and keep the original for resale).

Personally, the only thing I would look at as an up-grade and keep on to resell would be the remote start.
...but, that is me, the next guy may not agree, and that is the problem with personalization.
It's so...well, personal.
You need to find the next like minded individual who not only wants what you do, but trusts you to do the work.
That is tough. IMO

·
Registered
1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172
551 Posts
Your asking price will vary depending on how much crap your wife gives you for spending all day working on the damn thing!!!:tisk:

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then you have to consider the people like me who will not even go look at a car if I see an after factory head in the dash, and speakers and amps in the trunk.
I am not even anti-amp and speaker/head unit. I will be installing some in my 87 when I have a chance. I have just seen too many abortions over the years.
If I want an amp, speakers, and head unit, I will install it (and keep the original for resale).
All of the aftermarket electronics were professionally installed by a major chain retailer, and are under warranty. I can relate with your thoughts though, I will usually walk if I think some amateur has been cutting wires on a car I'm looking at.

I was thinking about looking for a mid 70s sedan, but it's just a thought.

----------

Ah...marriage.....I remember those days......:D
Ha! It took me a couple of tries, then I figured out that if the Marine Corps wanted me to have a wife, they'd have issued me one. Problem solved. :D

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
All of the aftermarket electronics were professionally installed by a major chain retailer, and are under warranty. I can relate with your thoughts though, I will usually walk if I think some amateur has been cutting wires on a car I'm looking at.

I was thinking about looking for a mid 70s sedan, but it's just a thought.

----------

Ha! It took me a couple of tries, then I figured out that if the Marine Corps wanted me to have a wife, they'd have issued me one. Problem solved. :D
If they were installed by best buy, or customs sounds I'd run the other way.
Then again. No one would even touch my Cadillac when I'm done with it. Factory remote/ alarm (installing a BCM and using it's alarm and fob features), bunch of 3/8"holes drilled in behind the rear seat/ rear deck for mounting speakers and amps, custom kick panels, console/ buckets, gauges, suspension, and a 350 under the hood. Not that anything is done improperly. Just no one wants someone else's modified car (although I'm sure Dave in Wisconsin would love the pimp real wood console. Haha)

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
What...and get rid of my pegboard covered with contact paper?

----------

I had always heard that, but then my buddy who was a Ranger got married to a girl who served because they got a pay bump.:hmm:

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
I think the best way to determine what it's worth is to see what they are going for in sale ads. Those books that tell you the value are always off and not consistent with for sale ads. I'd be worried about after market stuff also.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ABC Warehouse up here has a partnership with a chain of car audio places, each store has a car audio section. I used to install my own, but the guy that did this car has probably done at least 6 others for me. He's an educated professional, he teaches electronics at the local Jr. college.

I probably would have kept installing my own stuff if i hadn't had the good luck of meeting this guy when I was teaching at the same college.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I were a buyer for your car, all the "add-ons" detract from the value, as I would then have to buy everything to put it back to original. And finding bumper guards would be advantageous. It is just another thing that detracts from the value. As is it is about a $2500. Get the ALS working, find some bumper guards, and return the wheels and stereo to stock $3500-$4500.

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
Ah...marriage.....I remember those days......:D
Im trying to forget those days, Cadillacs and Beer help a lot!

Prices for these cars are all over the place, so to put a price on it would just be a guess, and may depend on your location or in some cases what hood your in.

Ive seen several "real nice" low mileage all original Fleetwoods with that body for 7500 or less.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
ABC Warehouse up here has a partnership with a chain of car audio places, each store has a car audio section. I used to install my own, but the guy that did this car has probably done at least 6 others for me. He's an educated professional, he teaches electronics at the local Jr. college.

I probably would have kept installing my own stuff if i hadn't had the good luck of meeting this guy when I was teaching at the same college.
I am sure that is all true.
I have no reason to not believe you, you are not trying to sell me a car.:D

Only sellers lie about things like that!:lol:

Unfortunately that is the mindset of many people, myself include.
Not trying to bust your balls, but you asked.:noidea:

You know I love the look of your car and I personally love those wheels on it.
If you were selling it to me as a member here I would have no problem with the mods.
(Other than I wouldn't want a head unit video combo.)
Legal issues with that in my state.

The problem is if I saw it on Craigslist, you wouldn't even have a chance to convince me how good the install was, I would not be calling. There are just too many good unmodified cars out there.
Obviously others here feel the same. (Even guys who have the same mods on their cars!)

The next issue is the brand/model of after factory equipment.
It is a personal choice thing.
Just start a thread titled "What Is The Best Amp?"...or speaker or head unit, and see the battle erupt!:duck:

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
The wheel, stereo and other add ons like the door moldings all detract from the price unless you happen to find a seller who is interested in as-is.

This is probably close to the right prices:

If I were a buyer for your car, all the "add-ons" detract from the value, as I would then have to buy everything to put it back to original. And finding bumper guards would be advantageous. It is just another thing that detracts from the value. As is it is about a $2500. Get the ALS working, find some bumper guards, and return the wheels and stereo to stock $3500-$4500.

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
Personally if I clicked on the add and saw wheels, Id go directly to the next add.

But does that really mean anything? It does to me..........But theres a lot of people who would like it, and that may actually sell the car

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Personally if I clicked on the add and saw wheels, Id go directly to the next add.

But does that really mean anything? It does to me..........But theres a lot of people who would like it, and that may actually sell the car
If I'm looking at an ad, and I see rims over 18" or subs/ touch screen headunit/ poorly fit head unit. I immediately skip it. Same goes for LEDs, stick on chrome, TVs, etc.

(And again, my caddy is heavily modified from stock.....doesn't mean I'm gonna buy someone else's modded car)

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate all of the opinions guys!

I still have the stock chrome wheels with whitewalls, I suppose if I were selling it I could list with pics of both installed.

As far as the stereo, anyone who'd prefer the crappy factory unit over a high quality modern one, probably still thinks Windows ME is just fine. :p

I'm not an audophile, but the factory stuff was junk, even when new. And I can't really picture not having access to my own music library in the car, and CDs or auxiliary plugs just weren't going to cut it. I could throw the factory parts back in in a matter of minutes if someone wanted them I guess.

I guess it all depends on what works for you. The handling of the original tires with their 13" sidewalls just wasn't cutting it, especially with the crappy selection of tires available in those sizes currently. And forget about finding a modern snow tire in that size, that doesn't look like it belongs on a mud truck. I wanted modern sound, and modern convenience, I wanted the safety of modern, high quality tires in a readily available size (that didn't absolutely have to be whitewalls in order to not look stupid).

What I really wanted to know was whether or not I could liquidate it and break even with every penny invested, and judging by the responses, I could. But she still ain't for sale! :D

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,718 Posts
Yeah, I feel like I would ask $3900 for it and anything over $3,250 I'd probably walk away with.

IMO of course.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts