Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jsut recently got a Brand New White Diamond CTS, and dont want to take it to Car Washes(They mess your car up) I want to was it myself, BUT RIGHT. I look into the Meguiars NXT Products and it seems like I am going with their Washing Fluid, But What Else do I need? (Brushes,Towels,Wool Mits?) I Live in New York and we have pretty Bad Winters so is Polishing Necessary? What Kind of Wax should I use? (Sorry, I really have no idea what to use, I just want to do it right and now mess my Car Up) THANKS ALOT to anyone who can help!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used NXT on my Corvette and the CTS. It works great on both and leaves little residue on the polishing towel. Use a micro fiber towel for best results. Costco had them up here for about 10 bux for a bag of 10. Since my CTS was used when I bought it, I used Meguirs clay bar first and then the NSX. You'll be pleased with the NXT and the ease of application. I also use the Meguiars NXTcar wash. Good luck.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
214 Posts
Go with clean microfiber or 100% cotton terry cloths for soaping and run them through the washing machine after every use. Stay away from brushes/sponges/mitts etc. You can never get all the grit out of them. Grit is what causes scratches.

Dry with a microfiber "waffle weave".

You generally don't need to polish a new car. Many polishes use abrasives to remove the thin film of oxidized clearcoat that dulls the finish. You don't need that with a new finish. For a "wet" or "liquid" shine, many prefer carnauba wax, but it doesn't last very long and takes some effort. Mothers and Meguiers both make decent products.

I've not used NXT myself, but I have heard good things about it.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
It's nasty and winter here in Ohio. The new touchless car washes work fine for me. They are a lot more powerful than the old wand washers and you don't have to get out of your car. Plus they clean underneath your car.

·
Registered
CTS
558 Posts
I don't know, but once the temperature dips into the 20s, there is no way I'm washing my car in the driveway.

Winters are terrible!

You have to get all the salt, snow, dirt, etc. off of it.

I just take it to the local car wash...

I'm certainly not going to drive my car all winter without washing it.

My car is way too nice.

:cool2:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
SilverCTS said:
I don't know, but once the temperature dips into the 20s, there is no way I'm washing my car in the driveway.

Winters are terrible!

You have to get all the salt, snow, dirt, etc. off of it.

I just take it to the local car wash...

I'm certainly not going to drive my car all winter without washing it.

My car is way too nice.

:cool2:
Yep touchless car wash in the winter!! Brrrrrrrrr!:mad:

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Microfiber wash mits work best, just thouroghly rinse them out after you use them to keep them clean. Some guys leaf blower their rides dry, I use a California squeege and microfiber towel to dry off. Use a clay bar for the imperfections.Zaino gives it a real deep shine but doesn't last longer then 2 months at best. The synthetics like the Maguires can last more like 6 months. Adams is another great product. We also have vendor who sells his own stuff, checked his web site and he has his s**t together as well, so as you see their are several can't go wrong options.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i agree with the car washes, for some reason our city has like 4-5 in relatively close proximity so there is always competition. i got a full wash yesterday for like 4 bucks. they hand dry the car after you pull out. i got hom in aticipation of quickly finishing the job, but when i got out i was amazed...i didn't need to do anything, even the break dust from the wheels was primarily off...i forgot how she looks clean...

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
denniscts said:
Got a heated garage wash my CTS evry day almost in winter using Mequiars Car
Heated Garage and running water!!:annoyed: The only good I can see in your post is that you're from Ohio:D

The touchless car washes that I use are just that. They don't touch your car. The car is dried by huge jet blasters. Beware of the towels used by many car washes. Many do not wash them but only dry them. They can contain abrasives and scratch your paint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts