Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
68 SDV; 92 Corvette; 95 Deville; 06 Town Car; 15 Sienna
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi members,

Sorry to get all political on y'all. But up here in Canada I'm reading with great interest about the Cash for Clunkers bill.

So... what's going to happen to our already shrinking fleet of RWD Cadillacs? On a quick national autotrader.com search, I found about 1500 1981-2001 (both FWD and RWD) Cadillacs listed for under $4500.

So does that mean these will all end up being crushed? Either the owners will trade them in on new cars for the credit... or other people who are in market for new cars will buy them just to trade in for the credit? (I gather there must be some restriction that you need to own the "clunker" for a little while before you can get the credit?)

If that's the case there won't be many RWD Caddies left except for the cherries. I guess it makes the hobby cars worth more, which will make some owners happy, but then again it will be much harder to acquire these cars.

I'm all for government "stimulus" putting the money right into consumers' pockets so I like the credit concept. I'm just wondering what will happen to all the old Caddies and Buicks I love so much.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
My take is this....

If someone has one of these and likes it, I'm sure the crusher idea has entered their mind and would then opt to not trade it in. If someone was looking to do this I would think if the bill wasn't created, they'd just end up junking said car anyway. I hear the condition has to be specific so no "parts car" will work. In my mind I would think private party sale prices will just go up making the cars worth more money on the second hand market......

http://www.cashforclunkersfacts.com/?gclid=CJfO_dmsi5sCFQxM5QodciDzqQ

It looks like it's gonna be difficult to get. I think our vintage Cadillac market is safe......

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
They have something like that in California, only offered to large corporations. Basically what happens is that these companies earn "pollution" credits for buying and crushing SUV's and obsolete vehicles. By dong this, the state is more lenient on the company and allows their factories to release more airborne pollutants. Other states offer tax rebates to residents who have their car crushed at a state authorized facility.

Last year, when scrap metal was paying, I personally saw a few nice cars (Cadillacs included) get driven over the scales at the scraps yards. Three weeks ago I saw some douchebag drive a 76 Fleetwood Talisman to a junkyard and try to sell it. He left because they wouldn't give him $250 for it.

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham V4P
437 Posts
I feel like people are over-estimating the impact of this bill the way it is currently written. A lot of cars are worth more than $4500. And out of those that are worth less, the reason people own them is because (a) they can't afford anything nicer/don't want to spend money or (b) they have some special interest in old cars. It doesn't seem to me $4500 is enough to get these people out to buy a new car - you can't buy a new car for $4500 - if I traded in my Fleetwood I would have to find at least another 10k and even then I've "upgraded" to an economy car.

My Fleetwood isn't going anywhere, but if this does have a big effect I worry about parts becoming a lot more difficult to find. Good time to take the Fleetwood out of daily driver duty.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
$4500 will just about cover the depreciation you will incur when you drive the new car off the lot. If it's about saving money, most frugal people will buy a car a couple years old and let somebody else take the depreciation hit. I think this feel good legislation will have almost no effect. Last year when steel prices were high I saw a lot of nice cars going to the crusher; even a 60's GTO. Rich people would rather take a couple hundred for a car to have it gone rather than take time to part it out and make a couple grand. I seriously considered buying cars like this to part them out but I already have too much on my plate. $4500 is a good price for an old car so I suppose there will be some nice cars crushed but nobody would pay $4500 for them.

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham V4P
437 Posts
Fortunately the bill exludes pre-1984 cars so we lose any serious classics to this.

I do think it's interesting that the goverment is trying to reward my "irresponsible" decision to purchase a gas guzzler. Definitely paid way less than $4500 for the Fleetwood. The more considerate person that bought the Cavalier sitting next to the Fleetwood gets nothing.

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
According to edmunds.com, only the following RWD's are on the chopping block as acceptable vehicles for trade in for $4500. Everything else would be worth less, so hopefully no one will bite, and will keep their '80's Cadillac.

1990 Cadillac Brougham
1991 Cadillac Brougham
1992 Cadillac Brougham
1993 Cadillac Fleetwood
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
Like I posted in another thread about this, the ENTIRE budget for the bill only has the budget to crush 220-240,000 cars total. It's a really small impact, and in my opinion, a waste of money that our country just doesn't have.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
I was suprised to turn on the computer to see that the program was halted because the budget was already met. That worries me because the goverment may look at that as ammo to do something bigger. I am glad to see that the only caddies that were eligable were the 90s and up because those ones are some of the more valuable ones that people dont usually get rid of. I just wasnt expecting to see the money go that fast. Now I'm worried about what the gov may do later. I would love to see the stats on what cars were turned in.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
Well csbuckn, bad news. House and senate both approved another billion for it today.

They may be onto something, unfortunately, because we already know Nobama will sign it.

·
Registered
19,738 Posts
Too bad it doesn't recover much when most of the money goes back to Tokyo...

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Too bad it doesn't recover much when most of the money goes back to Tokyo...
TRUE THAT!!!

I don't think that a ton of our old RWD beasts will be scrapped. They've held their value pretty well over the years, really nice ones still sell for 5-10k, depending on year/options/color. The other thing is that these cars cost very little to maintain and are extremely durable from a mechanical standpoint.

The Cadillacs that will get junked are the FWD Northstar cars. They've depreciated into nothing. Nobody wants to pay $3k to fix a headgasket on a car that is worth 3k, just to replace failed electronic struts for another $1000, then it'll need a transmisson, etc. From a financial standpoint, it makes no sense to keep dumping money into those heaps.

·
Registered
94 Fleet Bro, 64 Deville. Past: 72 Sedan, 68 Coupe Deville
587 Posts
I Second True Dat. For one thing 93-96 Fleetwood's are already in the low production category, and it is true that these cars have held there value for a long time because of it.

having a 5.7 LT1 reliable chevy engine, RWD, longest US car ever made in the 90's, great styling, will always be popular, so I wouldn't expect to see these cars in the junkers anytime soon.

I was lucky to get mine for $3,000, everything works on it, beside the AC.

I have seen a 96 fleet on craigslist selling for $17,000! The guy kinda pimped it out, but still, it shows you how valuable the Fleets still are.

I would never trade this Cad in for anything new! I will keep it forever, because these Caddies have everything you could possibly want. Comfy seats, great power, RWD, size, style, class, you can't get that anymore in cars, especially class and comfortable plush seats:rolleyes:

A major factor on why I bought a 94 Fleet, was because it's classy/youthful looking, yet still modern enough to drive everyday. I didn't want a carburetor Cadillac either combined having an old man status.

·
Registered
19,738 Posts
Correction on my previous statement: only the House has approved the funding, the Senate won't meet until next week. The article I read jumped the gun a bit. :p

But on the current topic: I would hardly consider the Fleetwood "youthful". Maybe much more so than the previous generation, but overall, not much. It sure does have a lot more comfort and character than one of those Scion xtraBoxes they're trying to market to us kids though. :p

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
174 Posts
We had a few vehicles traded in from the clunkers bill. There was a pretty decent looking Mazda B2200 4X4 and a real clean 2000 AWD Chevy Astro I mean CLEAN. It was a shame to see that Astro it was so clean. Others were just rusty clunkers. If any big Caddys come in I'm gonna smack the person up side the head that trades it in.

Dave

·
Registered
19,738 Posts
So far I haven't seen any big RWD's on the scrapping block. I did see a newer Deville though. It was in really nice shape, and I bet a bunch of people on this forum could have used it for parts. But nope, it's garbage now.

Ridiculous.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
The whole thing was supposed to be helping the economy and auto makes but unfortunately the government is basically paying everyone to trade in American cars for imports.

If you look closely the bill is actually designed like that.

I don't get this country. Then we throw 2 more billion at it, like our government has 2 billion $

·
Registered
19,738 Posts
Exactly. Hell, we'll be in debt until the end of the world at this rate.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts