Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that the C5 Z06 rear wheel will bolt right up and makes a good drag wheel for our cars. Is anyone else running this set-up? What are some good drag radials/slicks for our cars?

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V
1,651 Posts
They bolt on but you will also need a spacer or they will hit the calipers. Mr Gasket # 555-65050 will do the job BUT you also need to hit the 5 lug holes wit the dremmel for a minute or so each to make them large enough for the lug bolts to slip through.
The NT-555R 305X40X18 or MT in that size will do the trick.
I bought Chinese replica wheels new for $75 each on fleabay.

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V Crystal White, CF,AM Wheels
186 Posts
Drumstix- What about C6Z front spider wheels? Will those fit and bolt right on or need some dremmel work also. I remember somebody bought a set on this forum . Dont remember the results on fitment.

Lit- Nice to me you the other day. Did you get to run a second pass?

Dennis

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dennis, nice meeting you as well. I got to run a second time, but same results as the first --- no traction.

If the Corvette wheels don't bolt-up without at least modification, which wheels do?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
double post

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
816 Posts
Drumstix- What about C6Z front spider wheels? Will those fit and bolt right on or need some dremmel work also. I remember somebody bought a set on this forum . Dont remember the results on fitment.

Lit- Nice to me you the other day. Did you get to run a second pass?

Dennis
Any factory C6 Z06 18" factory front wheel (18x9.5, 40mm offset) should be a direct bolt-on, whether you use the spider or 5 spoke style wheel. I have the split 5-spoke style and 305/35/18 MT DRs. Bolted on with zero modifications:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I confirmed the above post today. I was cleaning up both the Z and the V. I had to swap my drag radials off the vette. The car was jacked up so I removed a front wheel for test fit on the V. The C6Z front fit perfect on the V. Boy it was about 2" shorter than the V factory wheel/tire.
I snapped a few picsI will post up later.
The bolt pattern was spot on. Looked just like the pic above. A spider look wheel will match more though. If your buying new I would look for a spider look. 2009 Z06 up vs the 2006-2008 style like above.....but if you fall into a super deal on C6Z front then go with it.
Repo's you get get chaper than speedline's but usually about 3-5lbs heavier per wheel.
There are a few corvette forum advertisers in FL. One in Tampa and one in Miami that are always selling repo's

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-parts-for-sale-wanted/2219974-z06-spyder-wheels-f-s.html

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=+z...+wheels&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Just did some reading.
C5Z rears are 57mm offset and C6Z fronts are 40mm offsets. I know the C6Z wheels will fit.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dennis, thanks for checking on this; I'll be on the lookout for the C6 Z06 wheel. What drag radials are you running on the Vette, and what are you planning on running on the V? I'd love to be able to put a set of street legal drag radials on so that I can drive them to the track instead of lugging them to the track in my car and swapping them there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I will probrably go with the exact above setup...but hopefully with the spyer look wheel. The MT drag radial 305/35/18 is the best setup. I will run that same tire on the Vette. The other day I had BFG drag radials on the vette. They came on the rims when I bought them. Figure I would give them a try but they are worn out pretty bad.
I hear Horsepower sales in Ft Laud. had good deals on tires and will mount for free if you buy them from him.

No swapping at the track for me. I will swap at home and drive there with the drag radials.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I'm going to call Bob at Houseofwheels tomorrow and order a pair of the Spyder wheels; I'll also call horsepower sales about the MT's. Driving to the track with the DRs already on is going to be so much easier.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Post back your findings and pricing... I may have to hold tight though. I just ordered regular Nitto NT05's all around for my Z. Car has 15k miles on it and the factory runflats are gone!!!! Having 2 cars to mod is no fun, well it is but $$$$$

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will do

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I scratched off a 1.497 60 foot with the MT 305/35/18. My rims are the c5 z06. Either the c5 or c6 with MTs are pretty common on the V and you cannot go wrong with either.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Post back your findings and pricing... I may have to hold tight though. I just ordered regular Nitto NT05's all around for my Z. Car has 15k miles on it and the factory runflats are gone!!!! Having 2 cars to mod is no fun, well it is but $$$$$
$285 each for the MT's. $450/pair for a pair of the Spyder wheels. Not bad, I'm probably going to pull the trigger soon.

·
Registered
2010 Black CTS-V
13 Posts
Has anyone considered putting the ZR1 wheels on the V? I think it would look amazing, but I havent yet looked at the wheel specs to see if it was even possible?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
816 Posts
Has anyone considered putting the ZR1 wheels on the V? I think it would look amazing, but I havent yet looked at the wheel specs to see if it was even possible?
Yes they could work. You could use the same sizing I was going to use when I was contemplating doing C6 Z06 rims all around. Corvette Guys sells the wheels you would need and this is what I came up with compared to my CTS-V Sedan's wheels. I didn't run any comparisons against the CTS-V coupe's wheels.

REAR: The 19x10 (56mm offset) wheels would fit (the backspacing would be .2" greater than the factory 19x9.5 CTS-V wheel) most likely without a spacer.
FRONT: The 18x9.5 (40mm offset) wheels would fit (the backspacing would be .2" less than the factory 19x9 CTS-V wheel).

The reason I didn't go this route was that I thought the 18" wheels up front would a) look funny up front since the wheels are only 18", b) negatively affect how the car would handle since the front tire would have alot more sidewall than the factory setup. You'd have to be careful as many times they sell the same style wheel, but in multiple offsets. You have to make sure you get the right ones.

Also keep in mind that there are only so many companies that make matched tires that would work for this combo. I was going to use my existing 305/30/19 Bridgestone RE-11's on the rear and get a pair of matching 265/35/18's for the front (or the 275/40/18's if I determined the slightly different tire diameters wouldn't mess with the computer).

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Escalade ESV, 2009 Mercedes C63
120 Posts
Has anyone tried using the 18x12 +59mm offset for drag radials?

Do they work? Spacer required?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
816 Posts
Has anyone tried using the 18x12 +59mm offset for drag radials?

Do they work? Spacer required?
On a "V" Sedan that would equate to 1.3" of additional backspacing compared to factory. I would guess that would require AT LEAST a 1 inch spacer. to work.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Escalade ESV, 2009 Mercedes C63
120 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I had guessed similar numbers, but another post had me questioning my calculations. Guess 18x9.5 40mm offset is the way to go them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If the +59mm offset is the factory C6Z offset then no.
I have some repo's C6Z 18*12 with Drag radials from my Z. I tried them on the V and they will not even install. They hit the inner fenders.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts