Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've always liked the "older style" (1992-99) Yukons and Tahoes, and I guess my favorite Escalade is the first gen one, so I'm wondering, what were the main differences between the cheaper Tahoes/Yukons and the Escalade. Just in case I ever wanted to step into the realm of an SUV owner.

The designs, inside and out are quite similar...much more so on this generation than on the ones that were to come later. But from what I can tell so far, the Escalade had that zebrano wood trim, which was a vast improvement over the no wood trim the Yukons and Tahoes had, except for the Denali, which is a lot more like the Escalade.

I work in a Chevy dealer as a service consultant, and I've seen a few of the first gen Escalades come in, and it seems like they've got different seats, and use a higher quality leather, but do they have a lot of features that the top of the line Yukons and Tahoes don't? I always thought the Escalades used a different 4x4 setup, but I was looking at one on ebay, and it looks as though they use the same push-button setup as used on the Tahoes and Yukons.

·
Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade
5,826 Posts
Pretty much the seats, leather, grill, and wheels were the only differences. I think the 99/00 Escalades were just a cheap test to see if a Cadillac SUV could sell. I think of the 99/00s as the least "Cadillac" of the Escalades.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, thanks Steve, that makes sense. Or maybe they saw how well the Navigator was selling, and threw it together so fast, skipping much of the development to get the "Cadillac exclusive" bits in there and rushed it to the showrooms so Lincoln didn't dominate the market. The first time I sat in one, I was surprised to see they didn't have the typical Cadillac twilight sentinel or automatic climate control! And the automatic climate control is something that almost all Cadillacs (save for the Cimarron) have had since the early '70s so, so I was quite shocked to see that was missing!

·
Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade
5,826 Posts
If I had to get an SUV from 99/00 in the old body style I'd much prefer the Yukon Denali to the Escalade. It just looks better.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And is like 7/10ths the cost! But I don't think the Denali could have the heated rear seats and it didn't have as much wood trim.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Yeah, essentially what's been said so far.

The '99-00 Denali was a regular 4wd Tahoe/Yukon with new body pieces and wheels, some more sound insulation, and upgraded seats, leather, and trim inside.

The '99-00 Escalade then was essentially that same Denali but with further changes to the seats and leather, Cadillac specific wood trim, new grille and emblems, further softened suspension tuning (I have reviews from back then, talking about how it was excessively soft and marshmallow like, even compared to the stock Denali), and more sound insulation beyond the Denali as specified in a few minutes by the Caddy people. They aren't that great to drive, unless you like a big floaty truck with a lot of terrible 90's GM/Chevy bits and pieces, but still have a fantastic look to them and essentially the same maintenance costs of any similar vintage run of the mill Tahoe you'd buy.

Then, of course, we got the '02-06 models which were of a similar theme, and still had arguably too much Chevy to them, but were still more thought out and Caddy specific in trim, look, and feel, followed by the new '07+ which is finally a lot less Chevy and puts both of the previous gens to shame in overall polish and features.

I'll try and dig out a few of the C&D mags I have with reviews, and get them scanned...

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
Totally agree. I had a 99 and then an 01 loaded Tahoe. Due to too much similarities, I could not justify an Escalade either time. The 07 is a different animal than the 07 Tahoe. I picked my 07 Lade up last week and I am in total heaven. I love this truck!

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I suppose the best value if you wanted a GM luxury SUV would be the Denali. You get most of the Escalade's features at a much cheaper cost to maintain and insure, and it's probably a lot easier to manuver at high speeds due to different suspension calibration.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
Agree. The OBS Denalis had a lot of style in my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts