Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I had a 1979 Cadillac Sedan DeVille Phaeton a number of years back. It was sort of a rust color. Ran great.. What was with that Phaeton stuff? Was it just a special top? It had some sort of cloth top... Anybody familiar with these things? I wish I had pictures...

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
pha·e·ton
n.
1. A light, four-wheeled open carriage, usually drawn by a pair of horses.

2. A touring car.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
from the little i know, the old, 1920s, Phaetons were big touring cars, the back seats were seprate from the front, it had its own windshild and instraments so the pasengers could see what the car was doing.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
It was a cloth covered roof with special mouldings, wire wheel discs (other optional wheels were available, at added cost) and special paint colors (Except for the white color choice). $2,031.00 Etra when new. It came out mid-year, for the Spring Selling Season. But, I think your car was a 1980, not a '79.
The car came in Platinum Silver, White, Western Saddle (Yours) and Sandstone Beige. The Beige & Saddle had Dark Chocolate tops, the Silver had a black top & theWhite had a Dark Blue top.

EDIT:- Okay, I checked the files. The Sandstone Beige, was a "Pull-Ahead" color, meaning that it was an early release of a 1980 color, for this Special Edition. Most of the ones around here were the beige, and I knew that was an '80 color, Checking, I see the car was a 1979.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Until now, I had never seen a Phaeton in any other color than this rust brown pictured on Andrew's page:

The main thing I could see different was the imitation convertible top. I like 'em a lot, and a '79 CDV would be my first choice if I were in the market for an old Caddy to restore. (Of course, I'd still love a '96 Fleetwood, but the ones I've seen don't need restoring.)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Elvis said:
Until now, I had never seen a Phaeton in any other color than this rust brown pictured on Andrew's page:

The main thing I could see different was the imitation convertible top. I like 'em a lot, and a '79 CDV would be my first choice if I were in the market for an old Caddy to restore. (Of course, I'd still love a '96 Fleetwood, but the ones I've seen don't need restoring.)
Wow. I'm in love with this Phaeton coupe!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
DeVillish is right about the original Phaetons. I guess Caddy dug up the old designation to use on a newer Caddy 'cause they figured no one would know what a Phaeton was anyway.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wanna see a Phaeton in a movie?

Watch the Goodfellas ! Near the end of the movie
the character Ray Leotta (spl) plays is driving a copper/brown
2 door one like the pic above when he gets busted by the cops!..............geo

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I had forgotten all about that!

He keeps looking up at the sky throught the windshield because the helicopters are circling like buzzards over his house.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
sonjaab