Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS - white diamond on 22" tis 07's
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what type of fuel do you guys put in your car? and do you have to put the high octane gas? just curiuos.

i bought my car this may and since i've had it i always put in the highest grade fuel. and the lady i bought it from says she always did to.

i have no plans to ever put anything other than the highest octane fuel, i'm just wondering if you can put regular gas in, and if anyone here does...

·
Registered
2013 3.6 Performance Luxury
1,034 Posts
I put 87 octane in my 2004 3.6L and it runs great (see owner's manual). Higher octane was "recommended" for the 3.2L. The 3.6L engine can benefit from higher octane fuel and will provide "peak" performance when its used.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
584 Posts
I believe the general consensus is to use a quality gas at the lowest octane that keeps your engine from knocking. Available everywhere, check out www.toptiergas.com for more insight. I've driven my 3.6L CTS for almost 50K miles and I've used only 87 octane (mostly from top tier sources) without any performance or engine problems.

Try running a few tanks of 87 and see if you notice any differences. Mid grade is cheaper then premium, you might try that as well.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS - white diamond on 22" tis 07's
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats cool, thanks for the input guys.

i don't drive my CTS to much. maybe 2-3 times a week, more for recreational stuff anyway. i mostly drive the wifes aviator. if i put a lot of miles on the CTS i might consider using the cheaper gas, but if i'm only putting 100 miles a week on it so i'm not to concerened about the gas prices.

·
Registered
04 CTS SPORT/LUX W/NAVI LIGHT PLATINUM ON BLACK- COOL MODS!
1,313 Posts
I use 87 most of the time. When its really hot i tend to put in the premium stuff though.

·
Registered
Cadillac
72 Posts
I always use Premium in my 3.6L because when I used 87 in my car it felt like it was stuttering on the take off and it never does it with premium.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6 SOLD!Now SAAB 9-3(me), CTS Wagon(mom), STS 3.6(dad)
457 Posts
87 and it runs fine. my parents would kill me if they found out that i put in premium. if i did i would have to start paying for gas, which i most happily pass on

·
Registered
Cadillac
30 Posts
Hi, new member, first time on. Interesting I was actually going to ask this question earlier as I really seem to notice a difference when I fuel up with 91 or higher. There is the occasional place up here where we can buy 93. Good for the CTS and almost good enough for the F-18.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
I always use Premium in my 3.6L because when I used 87 in my car it felt like it was stuttering on the take off and it never does it with premium.
That's not normal. Have you SR look at it. Anything over 87 octane on a 3.6VVT is wasting your money.:yup:

I encountered some high RPM miss. A set of Denso Iridium Spark plugs fixed it. Not an easy DYI!

·
Registered
Cadillac
72 Posts
I guess my car acts a little different because with 87 I miss and it stutters on take off, but when I am running 91 it runs like a champ thats why I have stuck with 91 I have tried to go back down to 87 a few times and it will go back to stuttering so I feel I have to stay with 91

·
Registered
Cadillac cts 07
125 Posts
o0 shit am i wasting my money then? :-( i use 93 on my car--- i have a 2.8 cts 2007 but i did notice dat when i was using 87 the gas wouldnt last long so i started using 93 and saw a difference and another thing remember guys i live in miami and is hot as hell here everyday. what do you guys think??? should i go back to 87? and if i do would dat affect my car bcuz i was using 93?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
o0 shit am i wasting my money then? :-( i use 93 on my car--- i have a 2.8 cts 2007 but i did notice dat when i was using 87 the gas wouldnt last long so i started using 93 and saw a difference and another thing remember guys i live in miami and is hot as hell here everyday. what do you guys think??? should i go back to 87? and if i do would dat affect my car bcuz i was using 93?
It's the placebo effect IMO. The CTS 2.8 & 3.6 were designed to run on 87 octane. Some gas station may get condensation in their gas tanks(water) and this can make your car run lousey!

·
Registered
Cadillac
72 Posts
I am in Phoenix so my the 87 does break down faster in the tank and has condensation, where as the 93 has a little more additives that stops condensation.

·
Registered
'06 CTS, '05 CTS, '04 SRX (V-8)
165 Posts
The higher the compression ratio the more effect higher octane fuel will have. For example the new '08 direct injection cts. Also vehicles with turbos/superchargers will need higher octanes due to the greater amount of air passing into the engine. If not used it will place too much stress on the turbo and burn it out. I use premium(92-94) just because I can't sleep well thinking that I'm not getting what I paid for (hp) and all that crap that builds up on the valves over time. Just my thoughts

·
Registered
Cadillac cts 07
125 Posts
It's the placebo effect IMO. The CTS 2.8 & 3.6 were designed to run on 87 octane. Some gas station may get condensation in their gas tanks(water) and this can make your car run lousey!
so......what should i use? or what should i do? lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts