Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For our OEM stockers (part # 9595354) I’m trying to find out the type of aluminum alloy is in our OEM wheels. Now the CTS-V wheels were made by Speedline in Italy for GM, and I think they are some sort of an Aluminum-silicon based alloy like a ALSi7.

Does anyone know the type of alloy used in our OEM stock wheels? (Example 5357, 5457, 5557, 6063, 6463, 7016 and 7029... it is usually in a series of 1000) I’m asking because the type of alloy determines what you can do to the metal in terms of anodizing. The harder the temper of an alloy means a brighter finish after polishing and a thicker anodized protective coating… so a 6000/5000 series alloy would be much more suited for bright aluminum anodizing then say a 2000 or 7000 series.

I am not talking about color treating the aluminum (= ricer)... but that isn't out of the scope of discussion as the process is identical and so is the anodized finish... (it's just color treated before sealed)

I’m not expecting to get a ton of responses here… I just thought someone might know what type of metal it was.... as my internet searching hasn’t produced much info at all.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
so your saying my wheels are italian?

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
you should come out to the chicago meet in august and tell me all about the properties of the cts-v wheels; i probably wont understand any of it, but it might be fun :D

see my sig

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just might do that.. then you can see my sweet polished anodized and coated stockers..... they'll be friggin sweet...It'll pry cost as much as some new accessory wheels and I'll pry have 100hrs blasting and sanding into them... but they'll be sweet!

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so your saying my wheels are italian?

Yeah pretty much... so are the Mille wheels... Rotas are chineese....

... so hard to buy American these days. I got the wife a torrent and the American content in it was like ~50%.. LAMO I was flabbergasted looking at the parts origin list :banghead:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts