Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty easy. Anything I should look out for when buying a Gen1?
specifically

1. I have seen/heard that the differentials can be a little weak?
2. What is should I pay for these? what is too much?
I'm looking at the 2004-2008 models. (under 20k is my max budget)
3. should I be afraid of higher mileage? (I see them regularly at 100k+ miles)
4. this would be a daily driver, I do my own wrenching, any other earth-shattering issue to be aware of? \

Thanks for any consideration. I'm new to the forum. (and have yet to own a Cadillac or gm product)

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
7,856 Posts
https://www.cadillacforums.com/threads/buying-a-used-v-checklist.195214/ - That thread was started years ago, but it's still a good guideline.

1. Depends on what you're looking to do with the car. Most of the original, weak(er) diffs have probably been purged from the fleet over the past 15 years. The later diffs, which made it into production I think in '05 or '06, and were used for dealer replacements from then on, were not nearly as prone to failure.
2. I haven't shopped for one in 12 years, so I don't know. '04-07 is the year range for the 1st gen. Even a really, really nice one should be under $20k I think.
3. I don't think high mileage is much of a concern - no more so than any other car. I'm not aware of anything that becomes an issue specifically because of higher mileage. The bushings and mounts that people recommend replacing would be recommended on a 50k mile car or a 100k mile car.
4. None that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's pretty much what I wanted to hear. Milage these days semes to brake things other than motors. Water/fuel pump suspension bits.

Thank you much sir.

·
Registered
'06 CTS-V
49 Posts
On question #3, I only have the one data point, but mine's been kind of a dog ever since I bought it with 100k miles in 2014. Water pump, radiator, thermostat, alternator, dual-mass flywheel, rear main seal, one shock, and the tire pressure sensors have all gone out between then and now (at 150k miles). Transmission's on its last legs also. If I could go back I might've put more emphasis on finding a low mileage example, but honestly there aren't many to choose from so you may not have the option. I know even back then I looked for a good 5 months before I found a clean one. Still love my car though, don't regret buying it one bit, would 100% do it again. Good luck man.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts