Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6, 2016 Malibu 1.5T
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to take my car to get my flex-plate replaced again this week. Sound is back horrible sound keeps alternating, changes when switching gear positions.
I had my engine replaced, flex-plate cracked within 2-3 months, Had it replaced, cracked within 1 month.

I have taken it to several transmission shops and they have told me to take it back to the guy who installed it because they don't want to risk me going back to them with a cracked flex-plate.

What could I tell the guy to look into to avoid this problem once more? any ideas?

·
Registered
629 Posts
The torque converter could be on its way out, but there is a chance the previous flex plate was either not installed correctly or was defective. If you put a new plate on make sure the converter to flex plate bolts are tightened to exactly the right torque specs. They also need to be tightened no more than one full revolution at a time after they are hand tight. It needs to be aligned perfectly. Loose bolts on the bell housing can cause it to break.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will ask the guy to make sure to tighten everything correctly, and aligned hopefully this one fixes it.

·
Registered
2007 CTS/3.6
91 Posts
Also check the rear transmission mount. If it's loose, sagging, beat-up or whatever, it will change the geometry of the driveline which apparently is very critical on these cars.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also check the rear transmission mount. If it's loose, sagging, beat-up or whatever, it will change the geometry of the driveline which apparently is very critical on these cars.
Will ask my mechanic to look into especially this, my car does kicks and jerks when switching between gears in park, and I also get thumps when letting go of the gas while crusing. I assume its due to worn out flex discs and sag in the drive line. also transmission mounts may be worn on. Thanks again for the tip.

----------

Also would anyone know what the part number is? or the correct term for it?

I am trying to look for the part brand new online and I cant seem to find it, they only sell flywheels with clutch for the manual transmission.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe try something like this: http://www.revshift.com/product-p/pfx-cts.htm. It's a little pricey but you can probably find a cheaper version, definitely cheaper than taking it to the shop time after time and its made of aluminum so it shouldn't break. Just my two cents
Thanks for your input im actually needing to replace that part aswell but thats not the item thats currently breaking, its the flexplate that goes between the engine and tranny, as others have guided me it should be because of misalignment I would say it might be the tranny not seated correctly or other things. thanks for the support guys.

Also if its of any help to get a idea of whats going on, last flex plate cracked all around the center bolts, I will take my car tomorrow to the mechanic to check what happened to this flexplate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts