Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac SRX
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 CTS 3.6 DI with about 73K miles. The wife and I just had our first child and that backseat in the CTS is a tight fit with a carseat! I'm 6'4" too so I've been tired of this car since I bought it, the wife drives it I drive an f250 super duty. But the wife likes to sit in the backseat with the baby when we drive places and I have to scoot the seat up and my knees hit the dash :/

Here's the SRX I am looking at on monday: http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/634179395/overview/

It seems to be a pretty good car. But I don't know much about the SRX's compared to the CTS's. So what are the typical things to look for with these cars? It has another 10 months or 38K miles of drivetrain warranty left according to the CarFax warranty check deal.

What do y'all think of the price? I think it's pretty spot on but of course I'll try to get the best deal I can get.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
Are you thinking of having more kids soon? You may find it a tight fit with two car seats and big strollers. From my understanding, the cargo area is tiny. Take the car seat with you and try it in the SRX because you buy. You are already regretting one small car only to be looking at another one. Everyone adjusts their seat differently, some sit more reclined and you may find that you encounter the same issue with you having fun move your seat forward to fit your wife behind you only to have your knees hit the dash again.

Everyone can tell you their experience as you ask but the only way to know for sure is to try it yourself.

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac SRX Performance
18 Posts
Agreed, the SRX isn't much bigger than the CTS, only taller and heavier. I'm wishing I'd found one with the 3.6. But it's just me and two school-age girls, so there's plenty of space for us.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
Being a front driver cuts down a few potential problem areas, rear axle being a big one, so here goes:

Water leaks under dash due to faulty sunroof drains - carpet will be wet - this a special service bulletin GM will fix for free until 1/31/17
Noisy front struts
Groaning power steering
Check all electrics including power liftgate
chrome trim in front of side view mirror - can come loose
moisture in headlights

Personally, I'd find a 2012+ for the 3.6

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac SRX
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate all the input fellas! Very helpful. I don't know if I can find a 2012 in my price range, since the wife wants white or silver that really narrows down what's available. I don't need so much more room like an escalade, but just a little more room than the CTS. Because when I drive our cts, the passenger seat has to be scooted ALL the way forward for the car seat to fit, and then the wife sits behind me to take care of baby, which then puts my knees on the dash. So If we can a little more room i'd be happy. For long trips and stuff, we go in my F250 crew cab turbo diesel. So just a little more room is all we need. No plans for another kid anytime soon, and if there is by that time we will probably be ready for another vehicle (3-4 years down the road).

I'd like a 2012 if I can find it in our price range, but we're trying to stay away from a $400 plus payment. This year and forward goals are to eliminate debt and its going good so far!

·
Registered
Formerly owned: 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale
1,865 Posts
I appreciate all the input fellas! Very helpful. I don't know if I can find a 2012 in my price range, since the wife wants white or silver that really narrows down what's available. I don't need so much more room like an escalade, but just a little more room than the CTS. Because when I drive our cts, the passenger seat has to be scooted ALL the way forward for the car seat to fit, and then the wife sits behind me to take care of baby, which then puts my knees on the dash. So If we can a little more room i'd be happy. For long trips and stuff, we go in my F250 crew cab turbo diesel. So just a little more room is all we need. No plans for another kid anytime soon, and if there is by that time we will probably be ready for another vehicle (3-4 years down the road).

I'd like a 2012 if I can find it in our price range, but we're trying to stay away from a $400 plus payment. This year and forward goals are to eliminate debt and its going good so far!
If you buy an SRX that is out of warranty, you'll be spending quite a bit of money on repairs in addition to your car payment. Just wait until your headlights fog up and quit working. That will cost you thousands alone!

·
Registered
14 SRX Luxury
613 Posts
If you buy an SRX that is out of warranty, you'll be spending quite a bit of money on repairs in addition to your car payment. Just wait until your headlights fog up and quit working. That will cost you thousands alone!
I just had a fogged up headlight replaced at a body shop and it was a few hundred bucks not thousand. The key is not going to dealerships for repairs. That's why they're called stealerships on many forums.

·
Registered
Formerly owned: 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale
1,865 Posts
I just had a fogged up headlight replaced at a body shop and it was a few hundred bucks not thousand. The key is not going to dealerships for repairs. That's why they're called stealerships on many forums.
Where did you get the parts?

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac SRX
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok well I got the car and took her home today! Very good staff at crest Cadillac in Plano tx, just north of Dallas.

The bumper had some scratches and a dent right behind the driver rear wheel well so I negotiated that to be fixed correctly and got new tires thrown in on the deal. Pretty happy! Sun roof drained on all 4 corners, all electronics work and it was a 1 owner car here in my same town. I feel pretty good about the purchase :)

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac SRX
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/mts678/EED1AF13-E3FE-428D-B9D6-CD2398A2E97D_zpsrzujnkqu.jpg

And I got the car on the wife's bday so it couldn't have been a better day ?. The dealer let me take the car to drop off the wife and baby, baby is only 7 weeks old and needed breast fed. So when I got home I ran a fine tooth comb over the car, jacked it up so I could inspect suspension, serp belt, transaxle boots, all that stuff.

You always can notice stuff better when you get the car home so I was glad they let me go drive it alone with out the sales guy around. The car has 89,xxx miles on it and is in great shape.

Anybody run the E85 fuel? I've never owned a vehicle that was capable of running it so was wondering if y'all run it in yours?

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac SRX
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man I was so busy looking for issues on the car before I bought it that I didn't even notice these cars have hub caps?! WTF cadillac?! seriously man?? ugh!

So I did a quick search and only found one thread where it shows that the hub caps are glued on with some kind of foam adhesive, that's the only thread I found where people where removing the hub cap. When I popped off the lug nut cover and pulled the hub cap away from the rim on the outer perimeter right near the tire bead, it seems like the hub cap is just "clipped" onto the actual wheel, I couldn't see any adhesive between the hub cap and the wheel. But I don't want to yank on it and break the hub cap if its glued on there.

so my question- are some hub caps glued on? and some hub caps just snap onto the wheel? I really hate having a luxury car with freakin hub caps man! Embarrassing! :annoyed::annoyed::gun2:

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac SRX
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's them dude! Well I will try to remove them carefully, I bet the dealer was hiding a curbed rim or two! We shall see bout that!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts