• Option 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2013 CTS Premium Sedan
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I've had quite the odyssey with my car over the past year. I think it has (mostly) past, so I have been debating what to do with my car going forward- I have two options that I am considering as I want something fast for weekend use and want to keep a Cadillac as my daily as well.

Option 1: Daily drive CTS as it is, keep up with maintenance as it arises, and buy a STS-V or gen2 CTS-V for a second car. There's a really nice STS-V with 20K miles on it for like $25,000 up in Jax at the moment, I was thinking about going to check it out. I've never driven a V before, so I'd want to try them both.

Pros to this:

• This option is less money ($20-40K for a nice V, I think, depending on which one I go with)
  • Current CTS is mostly sorted and is reliable, engine and drivetrain are smooth and strong.
  • V would be simple and fast, I wouldn't have to deal with a modified car. If it breaks, I can just dump it at the dealer and have them fix it.

Cons:

-Two out of warranty 10-15 year old luxury/performance vehicles and all the associated risks.

Option 2
: Buy/lease a new ct4 (premium lux) as a daily driver, and build out the CTS I currently have at Tracy Lewis in Tampa. I emailed them a bit ago and they quoted me ~$3500 for a tune intake manifold spacer, intake cleaning, ported throttle body, air intake, catch can, stall converter. Another ~$7000 for the overkill supercharger, ~$1500 for timing chains as a preventative measure, ~$1000 for the a/c compressor that needs to be replaced anyway, ~$2000? for upgraded brakes, and $1000 for a new front bumper/repaint. Overall, about $15-20K in buildout.

Pros:

- New car under warranty, no maintenance besides oil changes, etc.
-The build out of the CTS should put it into V territory, speed wise.

Cons:

-The buildout cost money is never recoverable. If I sell the car, or change my mind, I will likely never recoup the full cost. If the car is in an accident, I've essentially lost $20K.
-Potential headaches and complications of a modified car
-This option is more expensive, $20K for the build plus $45K for the CT4- or zero equity and $399/mo if I lease.

Let me know what you guys think. I'm planning to put this into motion by the end of the year, I want to see what the markets do and where we're at by year end before I commit. Hopefully by then, Cadillac won't be selling new cars without parking sensors and heated/ventilated options.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
18,821 Posts
If you really want a fast car that handles great, then don't modify a CTS. A modded CTS cannot hold a candle to a stock CTS-V. Do you want a superfast car that handles well and will go so fast so quick, do you want a real fast car that handles tremendously and is a hoot to drive, or what?

Reactions: okeesignguy

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
18,821 Posts
This is a legitimate question, so I am looking for your answer.

·
Registered
2013 CTS Premium Sedan
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking for something that handles well and is fun to drive more than pure speed, but I want it to be quick. The stock cts is slow, looking for something in the 4-second range to 60.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 & 2022 CT5-V (ordered)
3,625 Posts
Looking for something that handles well and is fun to drive more than pure speed, but I want it to be quick. The stock cts is slow, looking for something in the 4-second range to 60.
What does 4 second range mean? under 4 seconds? between 4 and 4.5 seconds? Between 4 and 5?

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,656 Posts
I don't like it when people suffer. You should take the same meds that were prescribed the last time.
I'm just tailing off a steroid, down to 10mg for 3 days....I haven't suffered this much in many years.

4 second 0-60 is quick....BlackWing maybe?

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
ATS-V. Quite quick. Handles better than a CTS-V. A tremendous driver. Don't get me wrong, the CTS-V is too, but I love my ATS-V and it's a daily. For pure, raw sex the CTS-V is crazy good! Lots and lots and lots of mods available for the LSA.

·
Registered
96 FWB
3,569 Posts
I'm with Option 3: Ask the wife.

I follow your flow and chronology alternates, and the if-then decision tree mincing and dicing. But it's your money and time, and hard without way more details to know which is (amonsgt other unnamed things) worth more to you, and that you have more or too much of compared to the other(s).

·
Registered
96 FWB
3,569 Posts
I don't like it when people suffer. You should take the same meds that were prescribed the last time.
And what you put all us through for the better part of a year was what exactly?

And then just to have you throw a heap 'o money at the problem?

Don't answer - they'll think we're hyjacking the thread.

Reactions: tinman

·
Registered
2013 CTS Premium Sedan
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ATS-V. Quite quick. Handles better than a CTS-V. A tremendous driver. Don't get me wrong, the CTS-V is too, but I love my ATS-V and it's a daily. For pure, raw sex the CTS-V is crazy good! Lots and lots and lots of mods available for the LSA.
How's the car holdup as a daily? I don't want to exceed 40-45k at the absolute most, and in that range (at least here) you're looking at some miles. To get into the 30s means 100K miles.

·
Registered
2013 CTS Premium Sedan
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And what you put all us through for the better part of a year was what exactly?

And then just to have you throw a heap 'o money at the problem?

Don't answer - they'll think we're hyjacking the thread.
Lol, I read that thread here and there. Can't believe it's finally dead.

I'm with Option 3: Ask the wife.

I follow your flow and chronology alternates, and the if-then decision tree mincing and dicing. But it's your money and time, and hard without way more details to know which is (amonsgt other unnamed things) worth more to you, and that you have more or too much of compared to the other(s).
No wife, the finances are all my own for hopefully another good long while. Trying to enjoy my 20s here. I'd say time>money to a certain extent, and while I like the idea of a V, the current experience with a used luxury car has not been pleasant solely from a time perspective- traipsing all over the city trying to find someone mildly competent to fix my car every 3 weeks.

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
How's the car holdup as a daily? I don't want to exceed 40-45k at the absolute most, and in that range (at least here) you're looking at some miles. To get into the 30s means 100K miles.
76,000 miles on my '16 and she's as strong as ever. When I hammer it you just have to be aware of the acceleration and be responsible.

Reactions: silversport

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Oh, and I live in Jax. Where's the car in question?

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
I know if we ply Long with some good stuff then he will close that thread, lol.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts