Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tires on my '01 STS are in dire need of replacement. I have the stock 17" Goodyears on now and they suck. I am interested in knowing what options there are and your feedback if you have tried them. Any information would be helpful.

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
Let's check out the tire board... moved.

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac STS
65 Posts
Eldo1953 said:
Let's check out the tire board... moved.
I just got 4 Bridgestone Turanza's today. I don't know if they work too well because ALL OF A SUDDEN my engine is recording misfires. Things that make you go HMMMMMMM.

But from what I've read and researched for the last two months, these are THE best tires for wet and dry traction. They are also VERY VERY quiet. That part I did notice!

I got them at Firestone for $116 each, but be careful you might record a P0300 code!

·
Registered
2001 STS
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice gremlin you got with those tires. hehehe

I guess it is too soon to see if you have any better traction over the old Goodyears.

Has any one tried Michelins? What are my options for the stock 17" rims?

·
Registered
50 Posts
01STS said:
Nice gremlin you got with those tires. hehehe

I guess it is too soon to see if you have any better traction over the old Goodyears.

Has any one tried Michelins? What are my options for the stock 17" rims?
The Tire Rack has a great website...you just put in the year and make/model, and they show you everything that fits (of the tires they carry, which is quite a few).

I don't like the stock Michelin Symmetrys that came on my Deville, but I've never used any other Michelins so I don't know if the whole product line is like that...they suck in the rain.

I like Firestone SZ50's...best tire I've ever used in the rain, and they perform great in the dry too. They're fairly quiet, and the have a pretty stiff sidewall.

If you're looking for something a little less aggressive, I've also had good results with Bridgestone Potenza (they make several different models of varying performance) and BF Goodrich Comp TA tires.

A friend of mine has Goodyear Aquatread 3's on his Diamante, and he swears they are the same tire as the old Eagle (the gatorbacks) from a few years back...he loves 'em.

·
Registered
2006 STS-4 1999 Deville Concours
1,488 Posts
01STS said:
The tires on my '01 STS are in dire need of replacement. I have the stock 17" Goodyears on now and they suck. I am interested in knowing what options there are and your feedback if you have tried them. Any information would be helpful.

I did not like the Goodyears either, (nothing like the thrill of waterskiing on RT 128 left lane 60+ heavy traffic!). The next day I went out and bought 4 Toyo Proxyes, very aggressive tread pattern, quiet with lots of sipes! I never leave the ground any more in the wet!

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
I have a very high opinion of Bridgestone tires now. I've had three sets on three different cars, and they've been as good or better than Michelins, at a slightly better price.

Specifically, I like the Turanzas. Not pleased with the ride quality of the Potenzas, but they're designed more for handling. Both tires have been good on wet pavement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just purchased a set of Kumho's ECSTA KH11's for $59 a piece off of the tirerack. I replaced the goodyears with these and what a difference! The car actually feels like a sports car now! I can finally take turns with confidence and the ride is amazing! Plus for $59 a tire, forget a'bout it.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Beefcurtains said:
I just purchased a set of Kumho's ECSTA KH11's for $59 a piece off of the tirerack. I replaced the goodyears with these and what a difference! The car actually feels like a sports car now! I can finally take turns with confidence and the ride is amazing! Plus for $59 a tire, forget a'bout it.
Hey beefcurtain (funny name) do you have any roast beef to go with that.

What were the size tires you got? for 59 bucks sounds great

·
Registered
16 Posts
Josh, I bought 235/60-16 they aren't the best tires for the snow which i know you get a little bit in bucks county. Where at in Bucks county do you live? I have a home in Greenlane, PA near Lansdale. Oh yeah and the name Beefcurtains isn't like the type of beef you get from a cow, well i guess you could but i wouldn't try it...

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Beefcurtains said:
Josh, I bought 235/60-16 they aren't the best tires for the snow which i know you get a little bit in bucks county. Where at in Bucks county do you live? I have a home in Greenlane, PA near Lansdale. Oh yeah and the name Beefcurtains isn't like the type of beef you get from a cow, well i guess you could but i wouldn't try it...
About tires for the snow that is why i have a truck. I am right near lansdale in hilltown. You ever hear of suzy's lounge the shitty strip club near the area?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Beefcurtains said:
Isn't that off of 309 near montgomeryville?
yup its north of montgomeryville and south of qtown. The walmart in hilltown is about 1/2 mile north on 309 from suzy's i live between the 2

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Beefcurtains said:
i know exactly where that is, i'm usually up that way once or twice a month.
If you were in the area this past weekend did you happen to stop by the vargo car show.
Where in lansdale where you from?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Beefcurtains said:
I still have my home in the Lansdale area, it's in GreenLane PA, Upper Perkiomen Valley, Marlborough Township.
are you talking up by 563 area. North of where i am?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Beefcurtains said:
it's off of 63, right near where 29 and 63 meet, right by the Green Lane Reservoir Park.
that's not far at all i know where that is. One of my favorite hunting spots is right near 29 and 100. I know that area pretty well. I almost bought a small rancher up that way for myself but the bank doesn't like giving money to young people

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know about the age thing, I had a hell of a time trying to buy my STS, i was only 18 and i couldn't get the time of day from a cadillac sales rep. I had to goto 3 Cadillac dealers until i finally found a place that would even let me test drive the car. Even to this day i find it funny when i take the car in for service i stroll around in the show room and i don't get helped at all. Makes me laugh...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts