Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Seville SLS, 92 Eldorado ETC, 87 Chrysler Fifth Avenue
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... WHAT THE Hell... I am driving along this morning, minding my own business and staying out of trouble... I roll down my window and go to the bank... I take off and start to roll my window up and all of a sudden I hear this loud snap, my door panel pops out somewhat and the window stops dead in its tracks... A few carefully chosen words fly out of my mouth, people look... I drive away... I stop in a parking lot and try to pull the window up. I get it about an inch away and it stops.. I press the up button thinking it may help guide it up and no.. the f'ing thing rolls down and won't stop... Did I mention its raining today? What else is going to happen on this thing? (My speculation is drive shafts snapping.) I got on ESI and got a diagram to get the door panel off and found that the cable snapped in two places... That explains the door panel popping out.. I drove to the body shop and all they can find is a 370 dollar motor/regulator ass'y but can't get it on until next week. I leave for ND on Sunday... Now, I don't have a problem with a non functioning window, but is there a way I can make this thing go up? I tried pushing and jolting and what ever and its not budging.. While I am trying to get this thing up, anyone have any ideas on where to get a part? I tried a few auto places and they only sell motors, not the regulator.. I am going to keep searching, but if anyone knows off the top of their head where I can find a regulator please let me know.. *end of vent*

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Re: What the *$&%!!!

If you take off the door panel and remove the motor for the window you will be able to lift it up, only problem is you will have to tape it for it to stay up. also make sure the window is in the track properly. Very strange that you can't find a regulator, try a couple other dealerships for it. I don't know what it is, but every gm car i've owned or family member owned has had window motor and regulator issues.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts

damn
yuh what he said
pull the motor/cable
pull the window up
tape it up

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts

Don't feel bad. i have problems with the regulators on all my windows in the Chrysler. ;) AT LEAST it's not a convertible in the rain with a non-functioning top. ;) ...not that i've had that...knock on wood!!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
I would not relay on tape to hold it up. Once in position cut a piece of wood to prop it up. That way there is no chance of it coming down at the most inopportune time, like a thunderstorm. Did that years ago on my girlfriends (now wifes) POS Opel GT.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to a body shop later that day, and it was decided that since I had to replace the regulator anyways (which includes the metal rails that the window slides up and down on (i hope)) that we would just close the window, after snipping the wire cable that actually does the work, and place a screw in one track and bend the other... I simply can't afford to pay for that part at the moment.. so this will have to work... Plus that means less fast food, so it may help.. LOL

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since gmpartsdirect.com's catalog is down, where else can I go to look for parts and do a cross reference? The dealer doesn't seem very cooperative. Customer Service for gmpartsdirect.com emailed me this part number for the regulator: 25649705, but I can't find anything online or ebay. Does the Regal or Aurora use the same part? Also, while I am at it, is it possible to add express up to the car? That would require replacement of all of the door modules or just the drivers door module?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts