Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Deville
91 Posts
The concours has a different engine. The concours comes with 300 hp and less torque while the deville comes with 275 hp and more torque. The concours comes with fog light and a center console, so it can only seat 5 instead on 6. The concours radiator has a inlet for a oil cooler to help the engine out. The concours radiator is the one that I use in my regular deville because it has less possible chance on failure with reinforcement on both sides, one for transmission and the other for oil cooler. The concours also has fold down mirrors in the rear celing. It also comes with a compass dimming rearview mirror. It also has a analog speedometer and tachometer. That about somes it up.

·
Registered
97 Lac Deville
204 Posts
they r both AMAZIN...i just got the regular deville cuz i dont like the center console shifter..
the compass dimming rearview mirror doesnt only come on the concours cuz i have it on my deville.

D

·
0 Posts
they r both AMAZIN...i just got the regular deville cuz i dont like the center console shifter..
the compass dimming rearview mirror doesnt only come on the concours cuz i have it on my deville.
You are 17 Balla, you just started driving like what, 5 days ago?. And you've owned how many cars to compare it too?. :alchi:

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Depends on your financial situation. If you've got a couple thousand saved up for repairs, then they are awesome cars. If not, as destroyer said, they suck equally.

·
Registered
97 Lac Deville
204 Posts
first off i've been drivin since i was 15, thank u. n my old car was a lumina....but i have driven plenty of other cars. hell i turned down a brand new(at the time) toyota tundra n i got my 97 deville instead...my car is perfect, now that the hg's are fixed.

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
The D'elegance has the oil cooler on the radiator as well (I've got a 98).

I would agree with the young Balla - great cars to use, drive - and not everyone that owns them ends up replacing the HG's - just a far greater % than about every other engine out there. I've got 26 years of driving under my belt with alot of different cars so I can say without reservation it is a sweet ride.

D

·
0 Posts
The D'elegance has the oil cooler on the radiator as well (I've got a 98).

I would agree with the young Balla - great cars to use, drive - and not everyone that owns them ends up replacing the HG's - just a far greater % than about every other engine out there.
Balla had the H/G replaced.

D

·
0 Posts
Understood. My point being that to all owners they are not problematic and they don't all suck. Your problems are not everyone's problems.
Not a question of "if", just a question of "when". Sooner or later.............

·
Registered
None yet.
26 Posts
So are there any other major issues with these cars other than the HG?

I have been searching for a 94-96FW but have not found anything yet. Talking with a friends father last night and I tell him I am looking for a FW and he says come look at my caddy.

Turns out he has a mint cond. 95 Concours polo green with tan interior. No rust on it at all, never seen snow. Has 60K on it. It did not have a console though???

He doesn't know what to ask for it yet but is looking to sell it. If the price is right I am going to consider it. But the HG isssue does have me concerned. I would prefer the FW due to RWD and a powertrain I am familiar with. I do not know much about caddy's other than the FW's.

·
Registered
None yet.
26 Posts
I am still learning but I believe the Concours had the 4.6 N* and the base Deville had the 4.9 non N*.

So this would have the N*. After doing some more searching and reading hear I am very leary of buying a N* car. I believe the car would become a bullet sponge if I had to stick 4K into engine work.

With the FW I want I could replace the entire engine with a rebuilt one for less than that! 4K for head gaskets :eek: And 2k for struts, a cheap low mileage car could become a $$ sucker in a heartbeat. I will probably pass on it and wait for the right FWB to come along.

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
Once again, as per Gibbi, it is NOT a foregone conclusion that you will need H/G work. For every horror story out there, there are 10,000 satified N* users - me included.

Just do your due diligence and stop worrying about "what-if" scenarios. "What if" you get nailed by a bus later today, fer chrissakes? About the same odds.

·
Registered
None yet.
26 Posts
Well you are talking to a guy that spend yesterday figuring out why his wifes 2001 Impala with 75k on it is acting possessed! Basically all the electrical gadgets have grown a brain and are doing what they want. Turns out it is likely the BCM is bad and must be replaced and programmed by the dealer, so that will probably be $400-$500 by the time I am done.

Just sick of fixing expensive stuff lately I guess.

·
Registered
1996 Deville
3 Posts
Thank you for teaching me the differences between Deville and Concours. I'm trying to find a hood for my 96 Deville and need to know what other caddy hoods will interchange.
Now what the heck is HG's? hieroglyphics?
Jim:welcome: in Smyrna GA:welcome:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts