Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the low-down.. I thought the car had a bad wheel due to having some shaking around 77-80+MPH.. Being so, I just bought a set of chrome stock V's from someone else.. They're pretty much perfect and didn't have very many miles on them at all.. ANYWAY, I still have the FN shake at 77-80+MPH!! What tha hell is going on??
Is it even possible for tires to be bad or create a shake from the rear and the a little in the steering wheel? The car drives the exact same as it did before -A shimmy from the front and rear!
If not the tires, could it be something else wrong with the car?? It feels EXACTLY like a wheel(s) is/are out of balance.. I've had the Caddy dealer and 2 local tire shops balance my old wheels and now the new ones.. STILL SHAKES! The machines show that they're balanced..

I've spent close to $200 just trying balance the wheels!! It's getting old.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
I am not sure how picky you are about vibrations but I'm anal. When I had the run craps on the car there was no vibration. I am not going to go into details but I changed them at 4000 miles and the new tires had a weird vibration on hard acceleration at around 35 and a vibration in the 70's.

I went to a shop that had a Hunter 9700 wheel balancer. See the link below for details of how it works.
http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/4159T/index.htm

After I had the tires balanced all of the vibrations were gone.

On the link provided there is a link to find dealers in your area that have this machine.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I had them road forced balanced at the caddy dealership.. They said GM will accept anything below 18.. My old factory wheels and these same tires road forced at 7-8...??? After that, it didn't shake as bad, but it eventually came back!

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, it shakes once I do a hard take off.. Like if a launch from a dead stop.. Doesn't really do much if I'm just catchin' the gears...I thought that was werid, too.. It would shake horribly at about 45MPH when it normally would not..

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Something else I have heard is some tire shops leave water in the tire when they change it. If they do this they will never be able to balance the tire and will have a vibration. - Just a possibilty.

For me it was just a bad balance and the Road Force Balance took care of the problems.

Hunter has been making equipment like this for years (Maybe at least 30) and they have always made quality stuff. Not trying to sell the balancer but I think you should give it a shot.

Good Luck with your vibration.

·
Registered
17,712 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, I'm not saying these are some super quality tires.. I know I wouldn't waste my money on them.. But hey, they came on the car and they were brand new, I couldn't really complain.. But as of now, I do not understand how they road forced fine, but I'm still getting the problem..

Nothing suspension wise would cause this, correct?

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
are you in 6th when this happens? if so, its likely your flywheel...happened to me and others. There is a TSB on it.

F

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, not in 6th gear.. It's correlated w/ speed.. Anything over 80MPH, it gets worse and worse.. Faster you go, harder it shakes!

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Possible, yes, but I just got back from another test drive and I'm getting vibrations from the steering wheel worse than before..

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone have a spare Pilot PS2???? The guy I bought the wheels from included 3 of them in decent condition.. He also included a brand new reg. Pilot..

Thinking of just throwing the spare tires on and see what happens.. I'm about burnt wasting money on mount/balancing these FN wheels/tires!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts