Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Head gasket bolt hole repair - 1998 Eldorado

in spite of all the posts on this I think I need to ask more...Well I got the manuals per advice of this forum. I folled them close and got the engine out the bottom. Now I find my progress slowing down. It's crazy enough to have to drop an engine to get at a head, but now it looks like I am supposed to remove the transmission also? I would appreciate any perspective from those that have done it. Do I need to remove the transmisson to get at the heads?

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
Re: Head repair

No you don't you may have to remove a bracket or two between the transmission and engine but you don't have to touch the transmission itself, or unbolt it from the the engine to do a head gasket job.

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts

Dropping the engine through the bottom is the factory way, but he engine can come out the top. Transmission doesn't need removal if you lowered the subframe.

·
Registered
Too many...
878 Posts

Why on earth someone would try to pull one of these engines up and out, is beyond me. It was very easy to drop the cradle, get a high quality furniture dolly that can hold the weight of the front end, unbolt/disconnect everything and then simply hoist up the body from the front. It will wheel right out of there.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Good feedback..I will say it was a lot of steps but the engine drop wasn't too bad. I made a homemade dolly, used regular jack stands to raise the car, and lower the engin with a standard hydronic jack. I removed the right shock and rolled the engine out thru the wheel well.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

Would you dislocate your jaw to remove a tooth?

This motor comes out the top just like any other fwd motor that can be removed through the top. Yes, this motor is a bit larger but doable.

Gravity works in your favor lowering it down, have fun lining up the subframe with suspension components like struts that won't stay on position to go back into the chassis. Or wiggling the subframe into position while the struts move around and won't stay lined up in the towers.

Putting the subframe back in depending on how much stuff you removed will not be a one man operation, nonetheless everyone has there preferences......

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

I do it by myself all the time. Gravy
It seems you have a lot more experience than the average person on these forums with this powertrain, it definitely should be "gravy" for you by now......

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Ok update...slowly moving down to the heads. Got the harmonic balancer bolt off with the use of an air wrench. Then got stuck in trying to rotate the crank to line op the timing marks. the crank will only rotate so far in either direction. I even got the specilaty tool that you use to turn the crank. Still will not fully turn. Turns so far in Either direction then hit s a dead stop. Any ideas....????

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,392 Posts

Liquid in a cylinder(s) (hydrolock) or something mechanical - and not normal.

If the plugs are out then you have something mechanical blocking movement or broken.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Head repair - 1998 Eldorado

Befor I got the air wrench, spent a lot of time trying to hold that flywheel. Maybe I left something in the way. Hmmmmm.....thanks

·
Administrator
68,392 Posts
Re: Head repair - 1998 Eldorado

Lotsa bucks, but there IS a Kent-Moore flexplate gear tooth holding tool. Bolts in place of the starter. Otherwise, wooden wedge against the flexplate gear in the "bellhousing".

Replace the flexplate with a new one..................... those puppies tend to crack on the bolt circle.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Head gasket bolt hole repair - 1998 Eldorado

Ok still can't get the crankshaft to rotate more than 3/4 turn. Either direction. Does not matter which geer I move the selector too. Nothing appears in the way either.. Thought maybe the parking pawl was engaging, but I don't think that would be the case since it moves 3/4 turn.hate to think I need to separate the transmission..so I can get to the head.

·
Administrator
68,392 Posts

The transmission gear selector and/or the parking pawl has nothing to do with engine rotation. Something mechanical is plain, flat screwed up. (The engine used to idle perfectly fine in P, right ??)

If you're going to stud the block and check out the engine, you need to remove the transmission anyway. Have at it. And - do it with a GM service manual on the bench: Either paper copy from eBay or www.helminc.com - or an online subscription to www.alldatadiy.com for your car.

BOTH HEADS - studs or inserts. Don't do it halfassed.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Good advice. I have been stuck at this point for awhile now. I do have factory manuals. Guess I will read up on separating the transmission.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Well I ended up separating the engin from the tranny. Thinking maybe that would help me see the issue. Did not help, I now have the engine alone and still can't turn the crank more than 3/4 turn. I know I need to line up the timing before I take off the heads, but if I can't turn the engine, I can't line up the timing marks. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am stuck.

·
Registered
2001 GMC SLT, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP
499 Posts
You can pull the heads regardless of were the cams and crank are. If you have a fsm or alldata you can start from scratch on timing . I am supprised you got the converter bolts out without being able to turn it over all the way around.

·
Administrator
68,392 Posts

I know I need to line up the timing before I take off the heads
No, you don't. Start with the crank at TDC #1 cylinder and re-assemble from there ....................

but put it all together, including crank pulley bolt torque, by the book.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Ok that's just what I wanted to hear. The heads are coming off. I will update with what I find why the crank won't fully turn. Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts