Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am finally at the stage where i can buy an aftermarket stereo and speakers, what do you guys recommend. I want a 1 DIN size stereo with MP3 Cd capability. I hear that Panasonic makes a good headunit. And since im gonna have to get new speakers because a new headunit will not work with the old speakers, because they're a 10 OHM setup, as opposed to the typical 4 ohm (is this true?) So I want speakers that are very crisp, and dont distort, and that will last for a long time. And i dont want a lot of base. What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
How much are you willing to spend? Ebay is a great place to find the deals. Are you thinking of adding an amp as well? If you don't want bass, that saves money; you won't need subs. Of course, for the truly best sound, you'd want some, but that's extra money and it can sound good without them.

Brian

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I don't know who told you that you can't run a 10 OHM speaker on an aftermarket headunit, but they are wrong. I had a 9.5 ohm setup running on an alpine head unit in my old 88 Silverado without problems. It is when the ohms get low, like in the Bose system, that you have the problem. The lower the OHM, the more power it draws from the amp. As for the head unit, I would get Alpine. I have tried Kennwood, Sony, Durabrand, Dennon, Pioneer, and Alpine and I liked the Alpine best. Good lows and crisp highs. Now as for the speakers, I personally like Sony, but you need to go to a store that has audio systems set up and listen to them so you can find the best one for you.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking to spend under $800 for all this, im thinking anything under $180 for the headunit and around $550 for the 6 speakers, and about $150 for installation

I'll have to go listen to different headunits and speakers at a store, but the problem with that is I can't listen to the music I like in there. Like I cant simulate what it will actually be because I can't bring in my own CD to listen to, and all the ambient noise wont make it any easier to differentiate the sounds.

·
Registered
97 deville
562 Posts
i have a panasonic, model cq-c5210 from crutchfield. and for what i paid (i think it was 150, might have been 140 i dont remember) it is above and beyond what i expected. theres no need to be spending any more than 200 in my opinion. there are too many good decks out there for cheap money.

speakers i have infinity kappas in the back and all the other door speakers are stock. in my first caddy i had the back speakers wired to the deck, and they sounded great, now in the new caddy i wired them to a 100x2 amp and theyre amazing.

i had a set of 4x6 infinity kappa plate speakers in my 1990 cadillac, i believe they will fit in your 92 deville. i used them no more than 6 months and now theyre just sitting in my room. i accidentally put them on top of my flat screen tv last night (ooops). pm me or im me if youre interested.

AIM: thecadiiiackid

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If you are looking to pay 550 for speakers, go for infinity kappa's. I hear that they are the best. I know that the 6x9 that Alpine makes sounds REALLY good too. If you are not looking for an external AMP and subs, you can afford to get the best speakers. Here is the setup I would go for.

Alpine Headunit with MP3- $220
Infinity Kappa speakers- $250
A good 4 channel amp- $150
And installation- $150
$770 Total.

This is all assuming that my prices are still good. If you look on Ebay or the internet, you can find this stuff for cheaper.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks you guys, Chuckdobbins...I'll put you on mu buddy list (my s/n is RawsonCGA957)

I would never go with ebay for stereo stuff. I'm gonna have to buy new stuff.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Alpine Pioneer and Fosgate are the best headunits
Infinity Kicker and Fosgate are the best speakers
JL Audio Kicker and Fosgate are the best subs

Hope this helps

·
Registered
247 Posts
For the headunit, I personally like Kenwood. I think they look the best. I like Audiobahn for the speakers. Those aren't too popular with some people, but I love them...

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
I will say Alpine for the head unit. Had those in my last two Deville's and they are outstanding. I'm less enamored of Alpine's current top end units that have this goofy "touch strip" control instead of dedicated preset/function buttons along the bottom of the face. But that's just my personal preference, others seem to like this setup. Some of the midrange models do not have this though, and still have full feature set but a bit less power if you really want true buttons.

I think most of the Sony, Kenwood and Pioneer stuff is good, but most look goofy (like it is made for a ricer, not a Cadillac) with too many flashing lights and different colors, animation etc. If you want something that looks consistent with a Cadillac interior/cluster [i.e. understated and tasteful] go with Alpine, otherwise you'll have something that looks like the Las Vegas Strip in the center of your dash. I find it distracting especially at night, and it just doesn't look right to have a Honda Civic style radio in a Cadillac luxo barge. May as well add a 6" chrome tip exhaust and neon ground lighting kit while you're at it <chuckle>.

Panasonic is making some reasonably tame looking units again (finally) and JVC is starting to tone it down but they aren't quite as good IMHO. Don't know much about Blaupunkt and Clarion these days, so I'll not say anything about them.

Speakers, this is a tough call. I have Boston 6x9's in the back, never changed the fronts yet. I do really like the Bostons, they are clean and tight in the low end with sparkling highs but not so much that your ears bleed.

Best part is that the Boston's were one of the only triaxial 6x9's that were flush, meaning that I didn't have to cut openings in the rear deck cover and put in the aftermarket grilles - keeps it looking stock. A lot of 6x9's, the mid and tweeter part sticks up above the frame and then the rear deck cover won't lay flat without making cutouts.

Good luck in your pursuit of bettter sound.

KDirk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts