Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2003 DTS
'03 Deville DTS
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what size wrench I need to loosen the lock nuts on the outer tie-rod ends? It's a size outside my sets range and I'd rather just buy the one wrench size I need rather than another set. All I know is it's larger than a 19mm...or is this particular nut SAE? Also are the threads reversed or not? Might be a stupid question but ya never know :O)

DJSG3

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
21mm, but you can use an adjustable as it only has to be held in place, the threads are normal and you only have to break the seal so to speak, the tie rod will then twist off easy, just remember to count the number of times the bolt goes past the 12 oclock position.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
Or figure out what it would've cost to have a shop replace the tie rods ends, subtract what you paid for parts from that, then go to your local Sears, buy a set of Craftsman combination wrenches from like the 20 to 25 or 26 mm range, and you'll still be money ahead, plus your tool box will be better equipped for the next project.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
A '97 Seville should be a 7/8".
It could be a 21mm which would be close enough to 13/16" to work but if it is a 21mm a 21mm will fit better.

I think the threads are the same on both sides so the same part number can be used. Should be a right hand thread.
If you can get a light in there you should be able to see the pitch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts