Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just picked up a 06 cts pearl white black leather
I was wonder what size rims and tires to get but stil have a nice ride but a wide look i was thinking 19's wide ones any info would help im new.
plus how do u take the front plate off and how do u fix the holes under it any suggestions i cant get those facest things off

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
5,074 Posts
If you want a nice ride I am thinking 18's.... That's what I've heard people say, me personally, I'm all about the 20's!!! :D

·
Registered
'04 Escalade EXT
352 Posts
what is the largest tire yoou can fit on 20's if i plan on lowering with either the eibach or the hotchkis?

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
5,074 Posts
The ride definitely isn't AS smooth as it would be with 18's but since it's a Caddy, it's still a nice ride. I don't mind it at all, and I love the look. My tires are 255/35ZR/20....I am a girl so I dunno which number you need LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey OnePhatguy i have a few questions for you... what does it take to install the V series front end? what parts do you have to buy and how much does it cost? also, if you want to get 20" rims do you have to use the lowering kit or will it be fine without a lowering kit?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
ron84 said:
Hey OnePhatguy i have a few questions for you... what does it take to install the V series front end? what parts do you have to buy and how much does it cost? also, if you want to get 20" rims do you have to use the lowering kit or will it be fine without a lowering kit?
tHERE IS AN ACTIVE THREAD ON THIS NOW. iT HAS THE INSTRUCTIONS, PART NUMBERS AND COSTs. Sorry capps:bonkers: It's easy to drop $2,000 on the V bumper. Then you will want the V side skirts..it never ends! I did mine.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
CarToys said:
Since I live in the land of the pothole... I went with 245/45-18s on 18x8.5s.
I second that choice. I was tossed when upgrading but I also went with the 245's because the extra rubber gives it a much softer ride.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
245/45R18's have almost the same sidewall height as the stock sport 225/50R17's, so they shouldn't affect the ride comfort as much. That's also the tire that comes on the pimp-daddy model, the CTS-V. With Eibachs, things will stiffen up a bit. I went one step further and put the V shocks/struts on, and the ride is very firm. I don't think I could take the additional stiffness that the resulting sidewall height of 20's would give, with my suspension setup. I also personally favor the look of 18's over 20's. I like a little tire with my wheels! LOL

Wheel size and style is a personal taste. I've noticed in general that members from California, New Jersey/New York area tend to favor the big ones. Although some have gone to extremes, if you keep to an 8" rim width with 245 series tires (no matter what wheel diameter), and a 40mm offset, you'll be fine with fit. A few have gone slightly wider, but fender mods would be in order to keep from rubbing or tearing up rubber.

Remember though, bigger wheel diameter means more weight. Chrome adds even more to this, over polished or painted aluminum. Depending on the wheel design, you could easily add 30 lbs of rotating mass to each corner, which will affect braking somewhat. My stock 17" wheel/tire combo weighed in 45lbs. My 18" setup weighs something like 54lbs each. I've heard of chrome 20's with tires weighing in around 75 lbs!

As for the front plate, you'll not only have holes in the bumper, mine were held on with Riv-nuts, which are huge. If you drill those out, you'll be left with 1/4" holes. Last year, someone on the V forum found some plastic plugs to fill the holes. They still looked added on. In my state the front plate is mandatory. When I got my V front bumper, I had to reluctantly have them drill holes and install the plate mount.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Car Toys, doyou have pictures of your wheels? i want 8.5 wide but wanted to be sure they wouldn't rub up front when turning. do you have some pics of the rear of the car, maybe to show the tire width from behind?

and you're both wrong, pothole country is here, in michigan...NO CONTEST!

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
I bought a used V bumper. The license plate holes were filled with snap buttons. Didn't look bad. The bumper was black so finding a button was probably easy.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
ron84 said:
For the bumper, go to

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html

select 'exterior' then "how do I install a V frontend on a standard CTS". the full install with part numbers is there.

As for a lowering kit, only you can decide if you're comfortable with wheel gaps that could be larger than the sidewall height. Personally, if you're gonna drop $2000+ on wheel and tires, $200 for Eibachs will make it sit nice. I feel the wheel should be centered in the wheel well. If you measure, you'll find that there is about 1.5" front and rear of the wheel, and around 2.5" on top. The Eibach kit will get that down an inch or so. I installed shims to keep my drop to around 1".

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
05CTS said:
I got 20's too. Ride is a little harsher but it fine with me. I didn't drop mine either.
Me and 05 CTS running the same wheels - with Nitto 245 35 ZR 20.. but mine is lowered...gets rid of some of that space between the tire and fender

·
Registered
CTS
182 Posts
TripleOught said:
Car Toys, doyou have pictures of your wheels? i want 8.5 wide but wanted to be sure they wouldn't rub up front when turning. do you have some pics of the rear of the car, maybe to show the tire width from behind?

and you're both wrong, pothole country is here, in michigan...NO CONTEST!
This is about the best pic from the rear I have with the 245s. Kinda offset a bit. Don't know if this helps or not. I can try to take another more straight on pic in the next day or so if that helps.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=5128

Mine don't rub front or rear.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'd go with 20's if I were you, fills the gap nicely, and therefor you dont have to lower it if you don't want to.

I have Hancook simply because they were reccomended to me for having a stiff sidewall that is less likely to collaps than other tires such as Toyo's Nitto's, etc... The ride is a bit stiffer, but I think it just gives the car a bit more of a sporty feel, especially around corners and such..

FOR THE RECORD!!! Come to Calgary and we'll talk about bad roads! The roads here are the worst i've seen!! We have ruts in our highways so deep you can just pedal to the metal with no hands on the steering wheel and the car stays in its lane! The breaks and potholes in the asphalt are everywhere from the frost, and even when they resurface a road, the man-holes are set either 6" above the road surface or 6" below, so either way your screwed if approaching one...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts