Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I aquired a 1967 GMC pickup and to my surprise when I opened the hood I found it to be front wheel drive. The only thing I was told is it came out of a Cadillac. When I looked in the glove box I found a hand written note that said "Alt. belt 1972 cadillac" and the Delco part number.
Is it possible to tell me what motor I have by looking at the pictures I have posted?

Attachments

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,510 Posts
this could be a 425-472 or a 500.... if you posted some closer pictures of the intake and exhaust manifolds we might be able to tell if its a 425...that would be quite a job to make it FWD... love to see pictures of the undercarrage...

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking forward to getting it on the lift to see exactly what I have. It is front wheel drive, but you wouldn't know it from looking at it. I found out that the original owner of the truck loved GMC trucks and Cadillac's, so he combined the two. After he died he left it to his sisters and her husband where it sat in a garage for nearly 3 years, before I aquired it. There are a few things that are a bit hookie but the truck was not butchered up to make it work. The bumpers look new, the trim and grill look perfect. I'll send some pics when I get it the garage and on the lift for all to see the under side..I'll also take better pics of the exhaust and intake manifolds. It has a fuel problem right now so it's not running. It's starts with starting fluid but it appears fuel is not getting to the carb. Doesn't seem too serious.

·
Banned
A few, actually.
20 Posts
It's a big block Cad alright.. but it's not possible to tell what displacement from those pics. And for that matter, the only real way to know if it's a 500 or not is to physically measure the stroke (coat hanger through the plug hole.)

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,510 Posts
There is a good chance that it could be a 425 if it has 425 exhaust manifolds..and if it is a FWD it would have a better chance to be a 500. because he maybe pulled it out of a eldo as a unit...
A 425 exhaust manifold on the passanger side had a indentation near the first bolt on the #1 cyl.

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
Could be any mix of parts by now. If it was a pull and things have not been changed then it would be a 425. The front air conditioning bracket is a 425 axial compressor type. 368 would have plastic rocker covers, yours are steel. The engine color is post '76 for a Cadillac. The air cleaner lid looks like one of those heavier types used on Eldorados. Air intake hose flange looks larger than RWD type also. I'd call it a 1978 Eldorado engine OR one that has a bunch of '78 Eldo stuff attached to it. Look for a scalloped rear crankshaft flange to be sure. Your transmission will have a date plate on it somewhere which might help assuming the engine and trans are a pair.
Pulling a spark plug and measuring stroke as mentioned is a good idea but this will only indicate a 500. 472/425/368 all have the same stroke.
Interesting swap.

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to thank everyone for your replies. It's been a busy week, but I was able to get the truck in the garage and on the lift. I hope to have a few new pictures over the weekend.
Thanks again...

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Make sure to replace that rubber fuel hose at the fuel filter that looks like it swallowed a mouse!

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
i just bought a 46 studebaker truck with 500 front wheel drive under it im in vancouver washington and looking for who built it. i seen the truck 10 or more years ago but he would not sell it. my brother found it behind a barn 2 weeks ago with crack block and axe marks in pass side door and fender. do u know who built yours .i found eveything i need would like to find person who built it maroon with pin strip gray leather seats and used all eldorado guages in studebaker cluster also used wiiring harness rear axle.

anyone knows of this person please contact me

thanks jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts