Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
00 DTS lambo white, eibachs, 2011 CTS-V wheels
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you know for some reason my car is at 11.0 right now (i have a 4.9), i mean i just bought the thing and i bought all the tune up parts but havent put them on yet, and i had a leak in the manifold and exhaust and i fixed them too, but what i heard was that the AMPG is usually around 15.0 is this true ? and when i do do whole new tune up if it does change around how much should it get to then , i mean should i see a big change, and i was also thinking of taking out the injectors and cleaning them with a friend of mine, oh and last but not least i know "lucas" really works and i wanted to use those "fuel engine cleaners", so ive been usen there big bottle, any suggestions or comments on that ?

oh also last but not least any comments on the "tornado" i mean does that thing really work and if it does will it work on the caddy ?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Fuel mileage is so dependent on so many factors, it's impossible to tell if what you are getting is really abnormal and even harder to tell how much it could change.

The first place to start is go to www.fueleconomy.gov
Their website has MPG data on almost everything with 4 wheels.
Next do things like set your tire pressures, check your oil level, trans fluid level, think about how much time your car sits idling in traffic or warming up in the morning before you drive it or while you scrape snow off of it.
Cleaning injectors is really not necessary these days. There are tons of detergents in the fuel that keep the nozzles clean. I recommend buying a name brand fuel rather than something from Joe's gas and go.

The tornado is great for sucking money out of your wallet.
I think EPA has some information on things that ACTUALLY improve fuel mileage. There was a recent topic on this subject and I posted some links in it.
Tune ups are good if you have problems, or the plugs are really old. A properly functioning ignition system will really help out.
HTH

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
The "Tornado" works VERY well for what it was designed for......... transfering your money to their bank account. As for increasing fuel milage, it is about as usefull as the fuel line magnet. Both of these products just go to prove P.T. Barnum right.

·
Registered
00 DTS lambo white, eibachs, 2011 CTS-V wheels
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
noooo wayyy lol... are you serious, i couldve sworn that dam thing would actually work, i mean the piece of shyt actually cost about $75 and i was actually thinking of getting one, because since i noticed it was so much i figured it should actually work!

·
Registered
8 Posts
my fuel mileage is 14.8 average and that is while driving it somewhat hard.... ill bet if an old lady drove it it would be somewhere along the lines of 16.5

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
1992 Sedan deVille, 4.9L V8, 114k miles, 18 year old driver ;)
Winter- about 13-14 MPG
Summer- 16-17 mpg

This is about 65% city/ 35% highway driving.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
yafuturehubbie said:
wow thats weird, how come its less in thw winter and more in the summer?
That is normal. Milage always falls off in the winter. It takes the engine longer to warm up, thus the PCM commands a richer mixture, just like a choke on a carburated engine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
that tornado is a hunk of shit, i work at autozone and ive sold so many of those things and the majority of the ppl who buy them actually say i makes the gas mileage worse, i mean come on ppl its a piece of aluminum bent in a funny shape, just like the magent, a fancy way of wording them to take ur money

1 - 10 of 10 Posts