Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First Post! Been lurking a long time!

I know there are a lot of GM loyalists whose blood runs Bowtie Blue, but for those of you who cross-shopped other cars, what were they and WHY did you end up buying your V? Sport Sedans in the 55K MSRP range is my target group.

I've read a lot to understand the aftermarket is massive, pricing is damn good, and the car is a load of fun. I've driven it twice and love it! This would be my daily driver, and I think its pretty perfect for my job as I use my car a lot for driving to clients and such. Just unsure if I want another Manual trans car and I doubt I will ever mod the car but I very well may do a track day here and there.

But I'm more interested in why the V over the S4, S-Type R, S60-R, SRT8, E500 Sport, 545i & C32AMG/C55. Specifically other 4-Dr cars in the same price/performance range.

Main competitor for me is the S-Type R as they depreciate like Kia's.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
I primarily considered the M3, Chrysler SRT-8, C55 AMG and the Audi S4 Quattro. A few in the $30k range were considered, but not seriously.

SRT-8: The bullsh*t "MARKUP" was something that I couldn't get over...
C55AMG: Price threw this one out, as well as I like the V looks better
Audi S4: V looks too much better to me.
M3: This made the finals...Was a challenging decision, but price (as I was only considering the vert) and performance won it for the V.

Further, aftermarket mods are much more common for the V than the other models is my understanding.

Looking back, I don't regret it one bit. Joey's thread on how well the '06 differential is holding up lessens any concerns that I have about the differential issue, which is the primary concern that I have about the V.

The E55 AMG, despite that I still like the looks of the V much better & costs much more, has me *VERY* interested, as the engine is just WOW...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
When comparing with these other cars it is important to have a price range. A few of those cars cost almost twice what a used V costs.

The V will likely be the most fun car of the bunch if kept stock because of the power and the manual trans.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I spent a bunch of time in a 2004 S type R, do a search (on "Jag") for my thoughts on the compares.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I seriously investigated a Dodge Charger RT, Infinity G35 and BMW 3 Series. The BMW was to high $$ for the car/preformance/ability to transport 4 in comfort. The G35 is an excellent car, high reliability, high resale, fastest in its class, just did not light my fire. The Charger is an interesting car, good reviews, good value, but not the bling and excitement of the V. If the Charger had a 6 speed probably would have gone with it for the price, $30,500 for a loaded RT 350 horse Road and Track model.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
NOCTS-V said:
I seriously investigated a Dodge Charger RT, Infinity G35 and BMW 3 Series. The BMW was to high $$ for the car/preformance/ability to transport 4 in comfort. The G35 is an excellent car, high reliability, high resale, fastest in its class, just did not light my fire. The Charger is an interesting car, good reviews, good value, but not the bling and excitement of the V. If the Charger had a 6 speed probably would have gone with it for the price, $30,500 for a loaded RT 350 horse Road and Track model.
Perhaps the SRT-8 Charger? That will surely be much faster than the G35, but, of course, the price is higher.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V | 2012 CTS-V
970 Posts
Had a GTO for fun and drove a Silvy SS every day. Just decided the V would be great to drive every day so I bought it. So I considered nothing else.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V R.I.P.
1,234 Posts
Before, I found out about the V I was pretty much had my eyes set on a Dodge Ram SRT-10, A used M5, and a Jaguar S-Type R. The main reason on why I got the V it's because if offers a lot for your money, Vette Engine, American, and for the 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and 13.1 1/4 mile which we all know it's true. lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
HI Beancounter, I'm currently cross-shopping the CTS-V as well and test drove one earlier this week.

Mostly I've been cross-shopping the CTS-V with the BMW M3, Audi S4, Volvo S60-R (cheaper, but good value and quick). I'm coming from a BMW Z3, so I'm also considering the BMW Z4M that is coming out in the next few months (unlikely though), as well as a Porsche Boxster S (I'm single, no kids, so a 2 seater or coupe that is mid-sized or small is fine with me, but the Boxster is pretty unlikely really, just veering to a bigger car at the moment I think).

I never really considered the Mercedes at any point, just not a fan of their cars and their track record for quality most recently over the last 3-4 years has been going in the wrong direction.

I never really considered the 545i as I'm not looking for a cruiser luxury car, and the 5 series are really heavy cars and not nearly as quick/fast as I would want.

I briefly looked at the SRT8, but the car is just too big/long for me. Love the design though!

I also glanced at the S-Type R, but its 63k base, likely upper 60's to low 70's with options, tack on another 4K in taxes, and you're pushing 70-75k range. Overpriced in my opinion, at least for my needs. Plus the car is over 4000 lbs and its rare that I see a Jaguar driven by anyone under 55-60 years old (unless its an XK). Not the right fit personality wise for me, but might be great for others!

CTS-V is a great car, good value, lots of strong points, some weak points as well which I'm sure you've read about in these forums if you've been lurking. :)

Based on the type of cars you seem to be considering, the S60-R is one you may really want to take out and drive. Good performance, reliable, quick at 0-60 in 5.4, space for passengers, and a great value for what you get. CTS-V is definitely more of a "power machine" in my opinion and probably attracts a little more of a hard core driver. If you are cross-shopping the 545i and the Jag and the mercedes, it seem like you want a fast, luxury cruiser with good quality and a decent amount of space.

I'd consider the S4 as they are nice cars, quick, gorgeous interior, and recently redesigned (versus the CTS is coming out with their redesign in 2007), and if you wanted a little more space than an S4 but wanted to sacrifice some power/racer mentality, go for a decked out A6, which are incredible cars. 5-series are nice too, they are a heavier car too though, but nice, reliable, good quality, lots of gadgets, etc.

Lastly, you may want to at least check out the Acura RL. Nice cars, didnt really fit what I wanted, but they are sharp and high quality, strong drivers too. They run in the low 50's and are only 2" longer than the CTS-V. Not as powerful of course though, but quick enough depending on what you want (Certainly as fast or faster than some you are considering like the 545i).

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
49 Posts
oh, and in the finals for me, its pretty much the CTS-V against the M3. The S4 is there, but definitely lurking behind those 2 by a good distance. No need for Quattro out here in Phoenix, no rain no snow, and that was only real advantage over the M3, other than a couple grand less money and a better interior. The S60-R is a
too, jury is still out though.

If only I could afford the RS-4, all my troubles would be solved!

Check out the interior of the RS-4!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
TracerHawk said:
I also glanced at the S-Type R, but its 63k base, likely upper 60's to low 70's with options, tack on another 4K in taxes, and you're pushing 70-75k range. Overpriced in my opinion, at least for my needs. Plus the car is over 4000 lbs and its rare I see a Jaguar driven by anyone under 55-60 years old (unless its an XK). Not the right fit personality wise for me, but might be great for others!
Funny you should say that, as that was nearly the EXACT same sentiment that went through my mind (as well as several others) when I considered the Jag. It's more for the "established" crowd was a comment I received. And price is a killer as well.

TracerHawk said:
oh, and in the finals for me, its pretty much the CTS-V against the M3. The S4 is there, but definitely lurking behind those 2 by a good distance. No need for Quattro out here in Phoenix, no rain no snow, and that was only real advantage over the M3, other than a couple grand and a better interior.
I'd love to know what you finally settle on. It was down to those 2 cars for me as well. The M3, while terrific, just doesn't have the aftermarket options that the V does. Further, it seems to cost a LOT of dough to make it perform substantially better. And I don't believe that the reliability can be as good (how much more can that little 6 take?).

It's also a 2 door and I personally loath having reverse in between 1st and 2nd gear...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also was stuck between the V and an M3 (convertible). Tried to work my best deal on the BMW, but the 400hp and the payment of only $600/month instead of $900 was an easy choice. Love the V, no regrets....but the '07 m4 convert should be ready about the time my lease is up!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Looked at the Bimmer M3 (convertible,) considered the Jag R series.... the V was just too much value for the money. Maintenance on the German and English also put me off as I usually keep my cars longer then the 4 years offered (BMW maintenance program.) Also, the Jag R had too many mechanical 'add-ons' to make it perform, leading me to have some concern on reliability and maintenance on all those "add-ons." My first choice was originally a '05 'Vette convertible but delivery was too far off, plus the premium pricing on intro, so I bought the 4-door type.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
GTO, G35, V60R, Q45. Once I saw the V it was over. Never even drove it. Bought it over the phone.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
:lies: Doesn't want to get his third!

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
I sold my S60R to get my plaion jane CTS 3.6L. Trust me, the S50R is a waste of time. 3 performance modes, and the softest one is fine for spirited driving and much harsher then a V in day to day driving. The hardest suspension setting is down right car-on-rails instead of rubber.

Are you interested in autoX? If so, the S60R also isn't for you, as it understeers just like a fwd. The S60R doesn't compete at all with the M3,C32/55,S-typeR, etc...

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
As for me I was an M3 guy for years (atleast from a far). I was going to get one till the V came out. 400 hp in a limited production car was it for me. I didn't want or need a new car, but once the grey came around that was it. I never even drove the M3 or anything comparable. I would do it again as I love this car and hope to keep it forever. Everyone can agree with me on this- during a conversation with others, and you say you own a CTS, and their reply is either V, stick, or V8 they know. It is a car for those in the know. On another note I do want to get a used STI next. I need something that can handle foul weather and still be fun. I want to keep it as "toy" like with stickers, roof rack and all that glory. Have fun, make the decision that will best suit you, as you won't enjoy it!

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,189 Posts
S type R and and the new body style XJR. There were some near new Demo 2005 XJRs around for $54,000. Main reason for the V over the S type R or the XJR is I found a 6 week old, already registerd 1,400 mile V for $40,000.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I never considered the BMW M3 convertible, only the coupe. The M3 coupe is significantly faster 0-60 than the M3 convertible (4.8 seconds vs. 5.4 seconds), so I figured if I was going to get an M3, get the coupe.

Also, Badcad, the maintenance programs on the BMW is nothing to put you off on. Its all free, you don't pay for it. This is all maintenance, not just warranty stuff. Its a huge plus IMO.

Luna: Jury is still out on the M3 vs. the CTS-V, but right now I'm leaning towards the CTS-V and keeping my fingers crossed that the 2006 differential holds up much better than the 04/05's have so far. Honestly, that is I bet 80% of the complaints (wheel-hop) that I've seen on this board. I think the CTS-V is a better value for the money overall, both have great strengths and only a few very minor negatives. Either car is an amazing car to be proud of, so if those 2 are on your short list, its a win-win either way.

Also Luna, the M3 doesnt have the aftermarket options the V does. But they've got a lot out of that engine already as is, there aren't a TON of things I would do to either car really, maybe 3 or 4 things. I will say, I believe the M3 will be more reliable than the CTS-V. The S54 engine in the M3 is so good, it won six International Engine of the Year awards. I can only imagine what the new one will be like. I also would prefer a coupe to a sedan, so being a 2door is a plus for me, not a negative. However, the backseat in the M3 is VERY small. The CTS-V you can put a couple of 6 footers back there and they'd pretty much be okay.

Also, I view both cars are pretty much "limited production cars" (I think in they'll only sell probably 4000-4500 CTS-V's and about the same for the M3.)

Right now, I'm leaning toward a Black 2006 CTS-V, with either black or gray interior (can't decide here!), and with the performance shock absorber package. Throw on some black shoes, UUC shifter, corsa exhaust, etc.

I'll tell you what a downside is that I see with both the M3 and the CTS-V. Both are being redesigned for 2007. So, you're buying a car right now (2006) that is in the last year of its production model lifecycle. Meaning new technological advances and new design are on the way in the new vehicles coming out, and of course both will depreciate all that much faster with the new model coming out next year, and essentially be an antiquated design and technology (although both are still great cars).

I personally prefer to buy a car in the 2nd or 3rd year of its lifecycle. Buying the first year of a new model just means you have to put up with all the kinks and bugs and tweaks that they are still trying to work out in the first model year, PLUS typically you pay MSRP and up for higher demand cars in their first year out. 2nd year cars typically have most of the bugs and fixes all worked out from those people who bought 1st year models and they used them as a guinea pig that first year to root out all the issues.

With that said, I'd have to wait out the 2007 model year then since its the first year, and buy in 2008. No way that's happening, I'm not sure I can go another month, much less 24! *grin* This is why the Audi S4 is still lurking around and in contention as an option for me, but definitely behind the M3 and CTS-V.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys!

I want a unique auto, one that doesnt need bling to set it apart from the crowd, and one that is a step-up enough for me to be satisfied for a good 4-5yrs. I'm coming from a Ford SVT Sport Sedan that I've had for 6yrs & 68K miles.

I want something that no-one else has and living in Silicon Valley that leaves me shying away from all BMW's, Lexus, MBZ, Acura and Infiniti's. I love the Q45 and it is super rare with only a little over 1000 units selling each year but in reality it is not a Sport Sedan, it is a luxury crusier and perfect for the wifey.

Why the S-Type R and CTS-V appeal to me most. Never driven an S-Type R and I love the sleeper look of both. 400HP is appealing and I love the styling cues of both cars listed above as I find both of them edgy and non cookie cutter.

In reality I'm looking to spend $35-$40K on a 1 - 2yr old Auto and both of these slot into my price range as well. S60-R isn;t a bad car but I'm not a big fan of Turbo power. Just not linear enough for me and the off/on power band kinda irks me. 5cyl and 2.5l is not a whole lot of displacement.

Finding a S60R with Navi is another feat!

My partners all drive LS430's, E350's, and RL's. RL= snooze fest!

Car will be a daily driver and while stop and go with my 5spd manual has been doable for 6yrs, I sometimes long for an automatic and enjoy driving my automatic convertible when I'm just out for a cruise.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts