Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have ordered my car and people are asking me what I am getting I am finding that almost no one knows what it is.

I was just at the place that I get all of my vehicle inspections. The guy I was talking to is big into Mustangs and knows a bit about other car's as well had no idea what a V was and he is a car guy.

It is a guarantee that any non automotive inthusist will have no clue what it is. This is kind of appealing in a way and also kind of annoying at the same time.

What do the think the % of the general population is that knows what a V even is?

I think 2%.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Redline
743 Posts
You are probably correct. I was going to interject maybe 1 in 20, but no way is that true. It might even be closer to 1%.

The fun part is seeing the older cadi owners in their car next to you and they look over to see the flag and have no clue as to what it is.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS-V
187 Posts
When i first got mine, I was actually taking the time to explain to everyone what it was. Even then some acted as if I was lying. When I said it had the LS6, same as the vette, I got comments like, "it's probably just a V8." When I say 6 speed, they say six speed automatic. Then they look in the car to verify it.

Now, i don't waste my breath. If they don't know, too bad, I ain't explaining.

I have had a few people to go research what a CTS-V was and then come back and ask me questions. But then again, they probably were just trying to figure out what I paid for it. Some people are so nosey!

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
33 Posts
That's one of the many things I love about this car. Its a sleeper. It looks great and they're dumbstruck when you blow their doors off at a light! :)

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
After I bought mine, one of my coworkers told the entire office I put an aftermarket grille on the car. I was more than happy to explain to everyone how stupid he was.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
I bought it for the look and the fact that many people don't know what it is. It's a blast to blow the doors off a mustang they probably think how the hell did I get beat by a 4 door sedan?

I'll bet it makes them feel pretty crappy about there Modified V8!

Problem is if you get carried away with the exhuast (Headers, Catless, X-pipe) it gets a bit load and the cops start noticing - not good...

If I had it to do over I would do it again (I really love the sound of the whole exhaust). If you don't want it loud then don't mess with the exhaust.

Back on Topic, I would say 2% is a bit high and I'm tired of explaining what the car is. Still fun to square off at the stop lights though!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
248 Posts
i was looking at the v and an escalade (yeah i know, two different worlds) and one of the major things i liked about v is that no one around here has one...cts' are common and escalades are EVERYWHERE...where i live i see at least 5/day - i'm not joking. the only bummer is now that i have the v (and am loving it), everyone who asks what 'new car i just bought' has no idea what it is - none of my friends or family know what the hell a cts-v is; everyone here hears 'cts' and then shuts off thinking i bought a run-of the mill, entry-level, luxury sedan...i constantly have to explain that it's packing a 400hp corvette engine and present the analogy of cts is to cts-v as c-class is to c55 or 3 series is to m3...

i'm also sick of getting ignored by m3's, m5's (fun to try right?), mustang cobra's , and even damn GT's that dont know what the hell my car is when i try to get them to run. i guess the fix there is that my magnaflow arrived today and soon enough i'll slap on the kooks...maybe the sound will perk up their attention :)

·
Registered
Platinum 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
301 Posts
Could be worse... the sales person who was showing me the car at the dealership had no idea what she was trying to sell me on... when we popped the hood, she was trying to convince me that the car had a very powerful 6cyl... while pointing at the LS6 badge on the strut brace... when we got in the car, she was touching the nav screen as if it were touch screen... it got to the point that i just asked her to let me drive the car...:thepan:

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
1,567 Posts
The other day I was picking the wife up from the dentist. i noticed that my hygentist got into a 01 cobra. Well today I went for my cleaing and before she started we were talking about cars (I brought it up to see how much she new). We started talking about her cobra. She said it had 310hp and with the exhaust and intake she was at 350. Then we started talking about the V and she said that she could smoke it! And of coarse I was like ok we can go out and see. As she started doing the cleaning she keep going on about how fast it was. I wanted to bite her hand but I was the one in the chair so I held it. Well she got done and we kinda walked out together. I offered a ride but she said "I dont need one mine is fast enough". People have no clue. That is why I love it because they find out when we take off from a light and thats all they can see is my tail lights.

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
i'm also sick of getting ignored by m3's, m5's (fun to try right?), mustang cobra's , and even damn GT's that dont know what the hell my car is when i try to get them to run.
This was on the way home from work today.

Of course they never broke the speed limit.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ah, Zee Germans. They probably kept it under the speed limit in the hopes to not agitate the V behind them...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Leaving Krogers just 30mins ago, went to get my wife a birthday card, As I walk out I see this lady and her grandson walking around my car. They was at the rear of the car walking up the passenger side when the little boy reached out to touch the car and she pulled his arm away. I quickly hit the key fob to alert them that the owner was coming.
She looks up see's me and was like is this your car?
Me: Yes..
Her: What is it?
ME: CTS-V
Her: CTS-what?
Me: V
Her: Uh huh, it sure looks pretty, my daughter just got that car over there (it was an eclipse) but I saw yours when we pulled up and it sure looks pretty.
I'm looking at getting a new car myself and I really like that one.

I explain that it has a Vette engine and it goes really fast
Her: I don't need to go fast
Me: I don't either mamn
I told her to stop by her nearest Cadillac Dealership and ask to see a CTS.
As I opened the door to get in she tried to get a good gander at the interior.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
Could be worse... the sales person who was showing me the car at the dealership had no idea what she was trying to sell me on... when we popped the hood, she was trying to convince me that the car had a very powerful 6cyl... while pointing at the LS6 badge on the strut brace... when we got in the car, she was touching the nav screen as if it were touch screen... it got to the point that i just asked her to let me drive the car...:thepan:
I always find it interesting (and downright annoying when I'm the shopper) that sales people are selling a product they know nothing about. The average sales person nowdays can't even tell you what engine options are available without asking their manager. How can you expect to sell something you know nothing about? :hmm:

I'd be damned if anybody knew more about my products than me when I worked @ Sears in college. Maybe it's because I know nothing about car sales, but if I took that job I'd make it a priority early on (like my first day) to learn about the vehicles I was selling. I believe that's just lazy. My .02

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rolex, i couldnt agree with you more... its annoying when someone is trying to sell you something, and they dont have the slightest clue as to what they are selling... thank god the V pretty much sells itself. After buying the car, i suggested to the sales manager that he should have his sales person do her homework...

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
In my recent experience looking at the Chevy Avalanche, I asked if it would be any trouble to find me a truck with the optional 6.0 liter engine. I was corrected by the salesman and informed that they only came with the 5.4 power plant. :bigroll: I should've known at that point the inevitable end would be leaving in a foul mood after wasting much of my day off watching the path between this guy's cubicle and the sales manager's desk deepen from him walking back and forth. :yup:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yup... My sales person / village idiot argued with me, and i found myself being sucked into her world as i tried to educate her on what LS6 stood for... she was convinced that the cadillac she was trying to sell me was powered by a "very powerful 6 cylinder engine..." My wife, who was with me at the time, knew more about the car than the idiot who's job was to sell me the car... and trust me thats saying alot.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts