Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help, for I'm very confused... :confused:

Brand new belt, pullies all seem to line up, all pullies appear to be installed correctly, YET...

The serp. belt SQUEAKS!!! I'm fairly confident that it's the serp. belt because I sprayed a little belt dressing on the underside of the belt and it stops at idle. As soon as the RPMs increase, however, it squeaks like a mother. It's embarrassing and it drives me nuts.

Here's the kicker--it STOPS WHEN THE CAR IS WARM/HOT!! :mad:

Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to resolve it?

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Check the belt tension. A good rule of thumb is that if the distance from pulley center is between 7 and 11 inches the belt should deflect 1/4 inch , 12 to 16 inches 1/2 inch.

Also, check whatever was loosened to remove the old belt (either the tensioner or an accessory) and make sure that it was returned to its original attachment point.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Check the belt tension. A good rule of thumb is that if the distance from pulley center is between 7 and 11 inches the belt should deflect 1/4 inch , 12 to 16 inches 1/2 inch.

Also, check whatever was loosened to remove the old belt (either the tensioner or an accessory) and make sure that it was returned to its original attachment point.
In memory of the newly neutered Tony Show...

http://hurricanedeanpath.ytmnd.com/

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I like that idea of reversing it. When I was in school, a teacher used to tell us that toilet paper had two sides.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Belt tension was something I first considered, but that didn't appear to be it. Tension appears good. Further, why would it stop when warm?

I decided to use the 'ole "cardboard tube (from paper towel) to ear" trick to see if I could narrow down where the sound was coming from.

After many minutes, I BELIEVE I narrowed it down to the WATER PUMP PULLEY.

Still confused, I sat there looking at it...pondering...:confused: then it smacked me in the head, "THAT'S THE PROBLEM..."

You see, the water pump (on a maggie V) is driven on the BACK SIDE OF THE BELT, not the inside. I recently switched to an 8-rib belt "system" (yes, this is expensive, but worth it imo) & the belt was brand-new (as are all the pullies) seemingly with a lot of "white writing" on the back side of the belt. When cold, it seemed logical to me that it could slip/squeal, but, when it finally warmed up, that would stop, as it would be a little tackier.

I ended up spraying a tiny bit of belt dressing on the water pump pulley (yes, just a little bit) and VOILA...the problem is GONE... :highfive:

We shall see if the logic holds up and my problem goes away, but I have high hopes that it will. There is NOTHING else I can think of, so if this isn't it, I'm going to plant a thermonuclear device in my engine compartment and blow the whole thing up... :)

And, for the record, I HATE belt dressing...but I HATE belt squeal more and, sometimes, you just gotta do what you just gotta do!

Yeah Luna, make sure the ribbed side is down!

I keed, I keed.
:histeric: Don't make me fly out to FL just to kick your arse!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So much for my brilliant idea...

The squeak is back, but this time it doesn't go away with a sprinkle of belt (crap) dressing. The only good part is that it is NOT as loud as it used to be, but it's still there, UNTIL IT GETS WARM...

Now I'm back to being royally confused... :confused:

As stated earlier in this thread, belt tension was something that I considered (along with the technician at A&A) and it appears good. The tech was commenting that he's had numerous conversations with the techs at Magnason and that the position of the belt tensioner (almost bottoming out) was the way they recommend it & that appears to be the way that it is installed on my car. I even have the "upgrade" on the tensioner as well. Isn't belt tension automatically handled by the Maggie belt-tensioner?

Try reversing the direction of the belt.

Front to back.

Clean it with alcohol or soap and water then reinstall.
This is what I was considering doing next. What's the logic though? Why would this stop squeak?

See, this is why I like manual tensioners....my boat was squeaking when cold....loosen a bolt tighten it up, and your good to go....could your tensioner be bad?

http://www.katechengines.com/street_performance/engine_parts_detail.php?id=1
I don't think my tensioner is bad, but I'll try anything right now. How do I know if my tensioner is bad?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does it squeak with the old belt?
The old belt was a 6-rib and was quiet for a long time. Then, seemingly out of the blue, it started squeaking. The installation of the new belt was nice and silent for about 3 days, then it started up and squeaking.

·
Registered
177 Posts
For what its worth I have gone through the same thing before until someone told me to try a grease marker like the ones they sell for writing on tires....anyway you buy one of those. Start the car and hold the marker to the back side of the belt and you are going to put a coat of grease on the ribs basically. From what Im told it works its way on to the ribs of the pullies and belt and it will make for a nice quite mating surface. Worth a shot when you are at your ends with that damn belt, worked for me.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
For what its worth I have gone through the same thing before until someone told me to try a grease marker like the ones they sell for writing on tires....anyway you buy one of those. Start the car and hold the marker to the back side of the belt and you are going to put a coat of grease on the ribs basically. From what Im told it works its way on to the ribs of the pullies and belt and it will make for a nice quite mating surface. Worth a shot when you are at your ends with that damn belt, worked for me.
I'd piss on a spark plug right now if I thought it would help...I hate belt squeak!

I'm a little confused. You state to hold the marker to the back side of the belt, but then state that I'm going to put a coat of grease on the ribs (the inside). What am I missing?

Thanks for your input. I'm going to try this tonight, if possible...:thumbsup:

If this doesn't work, I'm driving over to Lynden's and making him fix it for multiples beers and all the guacomole he can possibly want! :lildevil::D

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Per further thought, any significant risk of belt slip? That is a "bad" thing with a Maggie...

And Heavy---I'm betting the combination of beer and guacomole shall be victorious... :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sorry man, you just peel off most of the label on the marker and as the belt is turning hold the marker up against the belt (rib side) and the belt will coat up with the marker on the ribs. Put a nice thick coat on it and it will quite down for you. If the suspension is not squeeking then its the damn belt!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts