Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I decided to go ahead and apply some polymer sealant to the paint of of 2009 Black Raven CTS4. For those not aware, a sealant is kind of like a synthetic wax that takes longer to break down and bonds well with modern clearcoat applications.

I must say that the clearcoat on the Black Raven is already glossy looking and very nice. However, I thought that an extra sealant product would really make it pop. To my surprize it didn't.

I clayed the paint (clay magic) and followed with Megs paint cleanser. I used Zaino Bros Z5 (swirl remover), followed by Z2 (synthetic sealant). It honestly looked exactly the same. I have used Zaino before and had wonderful results on my 2007 328i. However, the Caddy paint not so much. Is it really impossible to improve the already high gloss clear coat paint?

What you guys use on your cars? Have you had any great results with a certain product? Maybe I should consider using a carnuba wax? Feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts
Hey All,

I decided to go ahead and apply some polymer sealant to the paint of of 2009 Black Raven CTS4. For those not aware, a sealant is kind of like a synthetic wax that takes longer to break down and bonds well with modern clearcoat applications.

I must say that the clearcoat on the Black Raven is already glossy looking and very nice. However, I thought that an extra sealant product would really make it pop. To my surprize it didn't.

I clayed the paint (clay magic) and followed with Megs paint cleanser. I used Zaino Bros Z5 (swirl remover), followed by Z2 (synthetic sealant). It honestly looked exactly the same. I have used Zaino before and had wonderful results on my 2007 328i. However, the Caddy paint not so much. Is it really impossible to improve the already high gloss clear coat paint?

What you guys use on your cars? Have you had any great results with a certain product? Maybe I should consider using a carnuba wax? Feedback would be appreciated.

I've been using Zymol for years. I have not found a wax/polish that brings out the color better then Zymol. Follow the instructions and you will get a deep glossy shine with long lasting protection. Make sure, after you remove the polish, you mist with water and wipe it down again. The water will help the polish bond to the finish. I've used them all, and IMO, Zymol has been the very best. Plus,there's no need to go through all those steps that some products require.

You don't need to special order it either. You can find it at Wal*Mart or any automotive outlet.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM
295 Posts
I am a Zaino fanatic. I use Z-All -in-One, followed by Z-Clear Seal, and maintain with Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal. I do this every month. About once per year, I do the Clay Bar thing followed by the above protocol. For a ton of great info go to their website at ZAINO
This is the third car I have babied with Zaino products and I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 3.6 RWD Premium
502 Posts
I use Zaino Z-18 Clay Bar followed by Z-AIO followed by Z-5 PRO Show Car Polish w/ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator and finished off with Z-CS Clear Seal. Maintain the shine after each car wash with Z-6 Ultra Gloss Enhancer Spray.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 Loaded
328 Posts
I switched from Zaino to Adams. Zaino is alot of work, maybe the shine is a little better, but not worth the work for me. Adams is real easy, especially on black.

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
I've tried dozens of waxes trying to find the "best one". I've settled on Zymol and Meguiar's Gold Class something or other because they worked as well, lasted a long time, were easy to find, and were relatively inexpensive. In my experience, the Zymol seems to last the longest while the Meguiar's has the best shine. However, my mom was out visiting and since I don't see her much, I waxed her car with Zymol. I wiped off the majority of the wax with a cotton towel, then went back over it and buffed with a microfiber towel and it has a great shine. Of the half dozen or so people that saw it, they all commented on how shiny it was, and most of them didn't know I had just waxed it. They were just commenting on the shiny car, and her car is 5 years old. Anyway, as a chemical engineer, in my opinion all the waxes are about the same. Some have different compounds, but there aren't any that are exceptionally better than others (if so, everyone would buy it). I've done several experiments by doing half the car in one wax, and half in another, and all I could determine is for all waxes:

- The shine is pretty much the same, and if there is a small difference, 99.99% of people can't tell
- Durability is about the same, nothing I've found significantly outlasts everything else
- Multiple coats don't last or shine any better, one coat every week or two is much better than multiple coats at one time
- No car is worth your sanity
- It's your money, you can spend it however you want, but the quailty of a wax isn't determined by its price

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
...I've done several experiments by doing half the car in one wax, and half in another, and all I could determine is for all waxes:
- The shine is pretty much the same, and if there is a small difference, 99.99% of people can't tell
- Durability is about the same, nothing I've found significantly outlasts everything else
- Multiple coats don't last or shine any better, one coat every week or two is much better than multiple coats at one time
- No car is worth your sanity
- It's your money, you can spend it however you want, but the quailty of a wax isn't determined by its price
Obviously you've never tried Zaino Z-2 Pro (or Rejex) non-wax polymer. In my experience, Zaino's high-gloss wet-look shine consistently outlasts any wax product, including Zymol, by a wide margin.

"One coat every week or two" is 26 to 52 wax applications per year...IMO, that's insane. I apply a double-coat of Zaino polymer twice per year, Spring and Fall, and could stretch it out to once per year without sacrificing much in terms of protection and appearance.

Obligatory disclaimer, YMMV. :peace:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree with both 928S and smithb! I worked as an auto detailer for several years (many years ago) when natural carnauba waxes were king. At that time (and before clearcoat finishes were standard), the various products that were and still are available were all pretty much the same and did a very nice job indeed. We did quite a few 'experiments' and found that cost vs shine and protection was negligible at best. The difference in waxes today, IMHO, is simply the evaporative vehicle that allows the wax to be easily applied as well as removed. Also, with the advent of advanced polymer technologies, carnauba waxes just don't cut it anymore.
As I have said before, I am a Zaino nut (I admit it) as I believe their products are on the cutting edge. Again, IMO, following their 'show-car' finishing recommendations, there is not a wax on the planet that can compare to the overall wetness and depth that Zaino polymers provide.
BUT, 928S's remarks are well taken that the average person would probably not be able to tell a difference unless they were really trying.
Of course one other huge advantage to polymers is their ability to outlast waxes in terms of shine and protection.
Anyway, just my two cents!

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
I've tried every gimmik out there: zaino, dri wash'n guard, adams, finish first, nanowax (from various manufacturers, which I will say seemed to keep dust off the best, and it is very dusty where I live), and I've never been able to tell any significant difference. Some go on and off easier, Zymol is the toughest to remove by far, but they were all pretty much the same in their shine. The durability did differ a little, but among quality waxes (ie not the super cheap stuff) nothing I've ever used lasted significantly longer. Especially after a couple washes. Again, common sense here, if there was a clearly superior wax, it would dominate the market and there would be no debate.

Just as a side note, I wash and wax my CTS and SRX nearly every Saturday morning (weather permitting), and it takes less than 90 minutes from when I walk out the door until I walk back in the house to get a shower. At least 1/4 of that time is getting everything out and putting it away. The cleaner you keep your car, the easier it is to clean.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just as a side note, I wash and wax my CTS and SRX nearly every Saturday morning (weather permitting), and it takes less than 90 minutes from when I walk out the door until I walk back in the house to get a shower. At least 1/4 of that time is getting everything out and putting it away. The cleaner you keep your car, the easier it is to clean.
Amen to that!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I've tried every gimmik out there: zaino, dri wash'n guard, adams, finish first, nanowax (from various manufacturers, which I will say seemed to keep dust off the best, and it is very dusty where I live), and I've never been able to tell any significant difference. Some go on and off easier, Zymol is the toughest to remove by far, but they were all pretty much the same in their shine. The durability did differ a little, but among quality waxes (ie not the super cheap stuff) nothing I've ever used lasted significantly longer. Especially after a couple washes. Again, common sense here, if there was a clearly superior wax, it would dominate the market and there would be no debate.
"As a chemical engineer" do you know the difference between natural-based waxes and synthetic polymers, and are you sure that you've tried Zaino? I repectfully ask because, in my experience and that of many others, polymers last "significantly longer" than waxes. Durability of protection and shine is the major reason why I switched from wax-based products to Zaino polymer.

As for "common sense"... non-abrasive polymers such as Zaino and Rejex are niche products, requiring specific procedures for proper surface preparation before application, supposedly to a degree that the general public will never embrace. These polymers are "clearly superior" IMO, but will never "dominate the market" that mostly favors "user-friendly, mildy-abrasive, gentle-cleanser, one-step, all-in-one, prep-clean-polish-and-shine" products. Accordingly, Zaino and Rejex are sold directly to enthusiasts from mfr and few select retailers - NOT mass-marketed, like Zymol and Meguiar's, through chain stores Wal Mart, Auto Zone, et al.

Yet another opinion, Zaino beats Zymol: http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/waxtest.html

·
Registered
'08 CTS-4; 3.6DI; Premium Lux. Pkg., Blk Cherry
114 Posts
I'm also in the Zaino camp here. I've tried a lot of waxes over the years, and up until recently thought Meguiar's NXT Generation wax was the best.

This spring I decided to do the whole clay bar bit along with the Zaino AOI, Z5, and Z2, and WOW...what a shine and depth. However, if you don't want to go through all of those processes, give Meguiar's NXT Generation 2.0 a try.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
...This spring I decided to do the whole clay bar bit along with the Zaino AOI, Z5, and Z2, and WOW...what a shine and depth...
That's my reaction too, from the first to each subsequent application of Zaino. I'm a fanatic, but Z-2 Pro is the only Zaino product that I use.

Other than Z-2 Pro and a high-quality turtleback wash sponge (http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(ghwh4e45tbqmn0554eplnq55)/productDetails.aspx?SKU=998003428), all of my car care supplies are available at Wal Mart or other local retailers - original blue Dawn liquid, Rain-X Car Wash, Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Bar Kit, Quik Detailer, Scratch-X, 303 Aerospace Protectant (for interior vinyl and vinyl-coated leather), Scotch-Gard carpet protector, various cotton microfiber applicators & towels...

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
"As a chemical engineer" do you know the difference between natural-based waxes and synthetic polymers, and are you sure that you've tried Zaino? I repectfully ask because, in my experience and that of many others, polymers last "significantly longer" than waxes. Durability of protection and shine is the major reason why I switched from wax-based products to Zaino polymer.

As for "common sense"... non-abrasive polymers such as Zaino and Rejex are niche products, requiring specific procedures for proper surface preparation before application, supposedly to a degree that the general public will never embrace. These polymers are "clearly superior" IMO, but will never "dominate the market" that mostly favors "user-friendly, mildy-abrasive, gentle-cleanser, one-step, all-in-one, prep-clean-polish-and-shine" products. Accordingly, Zaino and Rejex are sold directly to enthusiasts from mfr and few select retailers - NOT mass-marketed, like Zymol and Meguiar's, through chain stores Wal Mart, Auto Zone, et al.

Yet another opinion, Zaino beats Zymol: http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/waxtest.html
Wow, you can get as mad as you want, but the question on the thread is what do you use. I was merely stating what I use and why. I'm certain I know the difference between a polymer and a wax, do you? There are multiple polymers used in car "waxes", which ones are the best? I said I have tried both and noticed very little difference between them. One does not provide a clear advantage over the others, there are tradeoffs in properties. Use whatever you prefer. The guy said he didn't like Zaino, so what good does it do to tell him he is wrong?
The implication that every "enthusaist" uses Zaino is ridiculous because people have their own preference. Ask any group and you will hear people picking between zaino, groit's, poorboys, p21s (a carnumba wax a lot of enthusiasts prefer), rejex, adams ... the list goes on and on. If you want to limit the arguement to just "enthusiasts", then there is still no clearly superior product. If someone wants something easier to use it is stupid to try and make them use what they don't want. And like I said in my original post, it is your money and you can spend it however you want, and you can spend all day doing a multistep processes, but most people can't tell any difference.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 3.6 RWD Premium
502 Posts
Obviously you've never tried Zaino Z-2 Pro (or Rejex) non-wax polymer. In my experience, Zaino's high-gloss wet-look shine consistently outlasts any wax product, including Zymol, by a wide margin.

"One coat every week or two" is 26 to 52 wax applications per year...IMO, that's insane. I apply a double-coat of Zaino polymer twice per year, Spring and Fall, and could stretch it out to once per year without sacrificing much in terms of protection and appearance.

:yup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
smithb,

The term "polymer" was used above to describe Zaino and Rejex because they do not contain the carnauba and/or other natural waxes found in your Zymol and Meguiar's products. It's a notable distinction because, in my experience, switching from a wax-free polymer to a wax will typically shorten the useful life of an application by about 80% from about 6-12 months (polymer) to about 1-3 months (wax). "Easier?" Not in my opinion, but YMMV.

It's a fact that Zaino and Rejex are sold direct to mostly enthusiasts vs. the mass-market distribution of Zymol and Meguiar's. I did not "imply" that "every enthusiast uses Zaino.". lol

Quibbles aside...hopefully the OP and others will find some useful info in our respective contributions to this thread.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
There is more confusion if you look closer. Meguirs #26 is a 'hybrid' of sorts, it contains polymers and carnauba, etc. And Meguiars NXT, while called a wax, is actually purely synthetic, tho in an uncommon paste form.

There are plenty of sythetics/sealants out there that last no longer then the average wax. Zaino really is a step above is terms of durability. Klasse SG is close, and so are some collinite pastes. The new Duragloss sealant is up with Zaino tho. I dont know if its on the market yet, tho, I was a tester for it.

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Registered
08 Platinum Escalade, 08 CTS, 01 TransAm WS6, 07 SolsticeGXP
478 Posts
Hi guys!

I wasn't going to post anything on this forum until I have pictures ready, but I just got a black 2008 AWD DI CTS! Looks great in my driveway alongside my '04 (and my convertible W6 Trans Am)!!!!!...

In any case, I do have some experience with waxes and so forth, spending hours upon hours on my Trans Am a few years back. I did do the Zaino thing, and so forth.

Well, although this 2008 black CTS is in near-mint condition, I have to admit, it had TONS of swirl marks.

So last night, I decided to take care of business.

Here were my steps:

1 - Dawn wash
2 - Clay bar using Meguires Quick Detailer as a lubricant
3 - Eagle one nano wax (I had this lying around for a year or two)
4 - repeated step 3.

Guys, I have to tell you... This car looks like a MIRROR. I have never seen anything like it. I am far from an expert, but I am really beyond pleased. I did not expect these old nanowax bottles to do much (got them free with a rebate), but wow... I am quite impressed.

I still have 1/3rds of the car left (taking this opportunity to slack a bit)

I am going to start a few other threads, because I definitely have some questions/thoughts/concerns, but I'll wait a bit for that, as I learn more about the car.

So, yup, big thumb ups for eagle one nanowax!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts