Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inside the passenger front wheel on the floor were three nickel sized drops of an oily orange substance. I would think Dex-Cool would be thinner and more
water like, it seems to be power steering?

2000 DeVille DHS 92,000 miles

·
Registered
927 Posts
Well are you sure it's your car?

Run it a little to make sure it's your car dripping and put a cardboard box under your car to be certain.

Power steering fluid that I've seen is clear like water and if it's leaking then it would drain pretty fast causing hard steering and a noisy pump.

Check your fluid levels whichever is low will be the culprit or try running it for 10 minutes with a box under it.

Fluids come in so many colors nowadays it's hard to be certain what is what.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
pcunite said:
Inside the passenger front wheel on the floor were three nickel sized drops of an oily orange substance. I would think Dex-Cool would be thinner and more
water like, it seems to be power steering?
2000 DeVille DHS 92,000 miles
If your coolant reservoir is on the RH side, it could be coolant pushed out of the reservoir because it was slightly overfilled.

The other possibilty is PS fluid leaking from one of the rubber sections of the pressure hose. Have someone turn the steering wheel slightly with the engine running while you stick your head under the hood looking for a fine spray of PS fluid under pressure.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not engine coolant as the consistency does not match that substance.
The power steering fluid dipstick is on the bottom line "Add". Is this expensive
to replace? Mine is under extended warranty...

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
The PS pressure line is approximately $100 at web based GM parts houses. Check your warranty fine print for coverage and exclusions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts