Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
07 escalade ext/ 04 srx awd
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have a v6 awd and can only get about 400km or 240miles to a full tank. Computer tells a false story on milage. It's my wifes car and she recently complained about gas milage after a recall was done on catalytic coverter (both replaced). I asked the dealer if maybe they damaged an o2 sensor, but his reply was that if there is no engine light then no problem. I must tell you this is in town driving with no heavy traffic (small town with 1 traffic light). If you have v6 awd please give me your range on full tank. Thanks, Rod.

·
Registered
2006 SRX AWD V6
30 Posts
I have a 06 v6 AWD with 32000 on it, after we picked it up the first few tanks were in the 12 - 14 (280 miles on tank 20 X 14) MPG range city driving. After a lot of moaning and groaning about mpg noticed that the air was on which isn't as effective when it's below zero outside, Turned the air off (prior owner had it on the key memory) and mileage went up to 17-18 mpg 350 for the tank.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never noticed if ac light is on or not, 12.3 mpg computer says, but actual cunsumption is worse! Thanks, hope more people will chime in.:welcome:

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
07 V8 AWD 34K miles: Recent (April) 2,700 mile road trip. Best highway mileage for 3 full tanks on cruise @ 74mph ranged from 21.1-- 21.7mpg w. 4 occupants and about 600 pounds of luggage. This included tolls and a stop or two for food, restroom, etc. each tank. The temps ranged from 45-70 degrees F. Tires were 30psi front and 32 rear. Climate control on auto. Total trip mileage was 19.0 which included city/around town driving. 93 octane, name brand fuel.

Isolating those mixed driving and city periods, the mileage plummeted to 16.5-18.0 for those tanks. Around town only? 16 possible with a light foot on the accelerator.

Some have posted the brand of fuel they use MATTERS! Others, the mileage drops with winter formulated fuels (raised ethanol content).

We refueled at one point and were stuck for over 40 miles driving in an extended construction zone and the mileage hit 22.6 mpg @50 mph.
If you read up on this stuff you will find that most vehicles are set up to get their best mileage between 45-55 mph. Once you drive North of 55 mph the fuel mileage drops fairly quickly.

The first Generation SRX can hit the EPA mileage for City and for Highway following the speed limits and exercising a conservative driving approach. And mileagewise, the SRX is plunked somewhere in the middle of all crossovers in its size and class.

Now.....the V6 should be able to at least achieve these numbers.

·
Registered
Cadillac
92 Posts
My 2004 V6 AWD usually return 16-17 mpg (suburban driving)
Yesterday I drove 150 miles Highway, I reset the computer, got up to 24 mpg for first 40 minutes, then hit traffic (10 min) finished the day at 23.3
Average speed 60-70 mph

·
Registered
2009 SRX4
4 Posts
2008 V6 AWD averages 19-21mpg with mixed driving, some highway some small town and country roads. We almost can't find non-ethanol fuel here in Illinois. When I can, I'll get 2-3 mpg better. We have averaged 23.5 on a road trip. 34 psi all tires and my wife drives like an old lady.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
thetobins......read this:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-first-generation-forum-2004/199963-07-srx-v6-awd-timing-chains.html

"My first defective chains were replaced at 18,000. GM at the time had redesigned and changed vendors and about 1000 SRX V6 got them. I filed a Claim to get at the truth. They never agreed that other models with the same engine had similar problem which shows up as sluggish performance and very low MPG. Their technicians claimed at the time that TSB J0820 and 5 new redesigned and re-heatreated chains
would solve this defect. Now these 5 new chains have stretched beyond use so GM knowingly put defective parts in my SRX twice. I expect this issue is in many GM V6 but many trade their vehicles before this shows up.
Having my engine torn down twice along with new front and rear differentials, and many other defects which show up when you check the history certainly does not add to the resale.
Don"

It is just a shot in the dark, but at 12 miles per gallon I think you will agree your V6 is at or near the bottom of the scale in this Forum's experience when it comes to fuel mileage and hence fuel range, even if your driving is all in-town city driving. I can get 12 around town on my N* V8, but I have to exercise a happy foot in the process to get it......and I have. I'd check the easy stuff first, most of which others have mentioned......tire pressure, air filter, brand and formulation (cheaper, and winter formula?) of gas used, octane, too many short trips where the engine often fails to reach operating temperature, aggressive driving, a cement block collection in the cargo area, parking brake not fully disengaged, etc.

Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD
293 Posts
2006 V6 AWD 60,000 Miles 87 Octane Fuel 10% Ethanol

Max Range 320 Miles - Avg 16 MPG City and Highway about 50/50

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX
32 Posts
I have not had my SRX long but the tanks I have put in have averaged 18ish - 19ish using Mid Grade (89 octane) fuel which was not necessarily Top Tier gas. These values are from the Driver Information Center Average Economy.

I drive somewhat conservatively.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The only time I find a difference of more than one tenth or two tenths with the mpg, comparing a manual calculation against the DIC average mpg, is when I put more or less fuel back in the tank at fill-up in versus the "gallons used" on the last tank off the DIC.

One feature I like about our Infinity is that it will track and retain the last 10 mpg records. You can reset this every tank or fillup, or you can wait and reset at the end of a trip.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX
32 Posts
This last tank I got 289 miles on 14.8 gallons (actually 14.766) which works out to 19.57 mpg. The DIC Avg Economy was 19.5 mpg. Pretty good correlation if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Tobins......I tried to replicate your low fuel mileage last night around town and was able to dump it down to 12.3mpg over 11 miles. I know I can do lower with some dry pavement. :) Seriously, I hope you find the cause.

·
Registered
'07 SRX
69 Posts
07 SRX AWD V-6 around town at 14.5 m.p.g.

AMG Benz around town 10.2 m.p.g. so....................the Caddy is our "economy" car.;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW PJ1520 just now gotten back to this, your info is valuable but all the same frightning, going the air filter route and will try the easy stuff first. Spent the last week trying to get 4 new struts, what a hassel, trying to bypass my mrc.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Our fuel here in the Northeast USA is running 10% ethanol by content as well. I don't think anyone is allowed to sell fuel in Massachusetts without any ethanol content. Also, in the past with other vehicles, I have never been able to notice any reduction in fuel mileage between the required or recommended Premium grade (91 octane and up) and with using Midgrade fuel (89 octane).

If you look up the Hundai Genesis specs on the Hundai website you will notice this manufacturer lists torque and horsepower ratings for the Genesis engine using different octanes. The drop-off in horsepower and torque using lower grade fuels is much smaller than you might expect, much much smaller!

Tobins......I was reading another thread here on the forum re catalytic convertor issues and one poster had the catalytic convertors swapped out....and he gained 3 miles per gallon in fuel mileage! The cats are covered under warranty up to eight years and unlimited mileage (I think), irrespective of the rest of the warranty. Something that might help you with your low mileage issue with your V6 SRX.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah PJ1520 i did mention that both converters were replaced under a recall bulliton just a month or so ago. It's been since then that my wife complained the milage got worse instead of better!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
tobins......a restriction somewhere else in the exhaust system? The dealer service techs surely would have checked that when the car was in and up.....but you never know. Just wish we could help you out. So many things could cause less than normal fuel mileage, it's like finding a needle or a combination of needles in a haystack. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
On the topic of fuel range......the fuel tank has a rated capacity for 20 gallons, and the low fuel warning preceeds that capacity on the "gallons used" readout on the DIC, by about 3 gallons.

Has anyone actually ever squeezed in 20 gallons on a fillup. More?

The reason I ask is that my wife drives the SRX and usually waits to inform me the SRX is on dead empty and needs gas, about 5 minutes before she has to leave to go somewhere. Once in a while, if she is paying attention, she might even call me when she is on the road to tell me the fuel gauge needle is on E and the low fuel warning light has been on for a day or so. I first ask her to tell me what the "gallons used" reads on the DIC before I panic.

Now some of you might say she should just take responsibility for something as important and easy as monitoring the gas gauge and filling up her own car with gas as required. The fact of the matter is that she firmly believes in segregation of duties. Anything related to the vehicles, ANYTHING, is men's work. Arguing with her is like.....never mind.

I want to know for my own info how much the tank can truly hold, regardless of the oem tank capacity specification.

By the way, I inherit my wife's hand-me-down cars. When the fuel pump suddenly quit without warning on my (previously hers) 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora Autobahn (at 114,000 miles) at 11:30pm in the middle of nowhere on an interstate during winter with our dog and her in the car with me, she was most unhappy. She had been all over me for some time to trade in the aging Aurora for an SRX, before we started hemorhagging repair money. As we sat on the side of the road waiting for roadside assistance, she started in on me again. I looked at her and calmly observed that a fuel pump requires fuel in the tank to keep it cool, to keep it from wearing out prematurely. That her repeated run-downs to E were probably the cause of the fuel pump failure, and that we wouldn't be sitting there stranded had she kept fuel in the tank or told me before the tank got too low. My observation went over like a lead balloon.

Some of you live in my world, or will. By the way, our Doberman enjoyed the rescue ride in the cab of the flatbed trailer.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts