Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Deville Concours
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 DeVille Concours with 105 thousand miles on it. Today I shifted to neutral to coast to a stop and my gas guage fell to empty and the low fuel message appeared. When I shifted back to drive, the gauge returned to the proper level.
What does shifting to neutral have to do with this?
There are not DTC codes and the check engine light did not come on?

Thanks.
DAVE

·
Registered
2017 CT6, 2015 SRX, 2007 STS-V, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
56 Posts
yes, my fuel gage is dorked too. you learn to live with it, using your DIC. You can always see fuel used and miles traveled. After a while you don't miss it at all.

·
Registered
99 D'Elegance, 03 Seville SLS
75 Posts
yes, my fuel gage is dorked too. you learn to live with it, using your DIC. You can always see fuel used and miles traveled. After a while you don't miss it at all.
This is how I use mine as well. It sucked at first but it doesn't bother now.

·
Registered
97 Deville
93 Posts
Well i have a 97 deville with 99k and my gas gauge us freaking retarded as well when i fill up i shows full and it will decrease over time like it should and show 18,17,16,15 gallons etc.. Now where there is about 5-6 gallons in the tank it starts to somehow think that it has like 16,17,18, gallons and then when it thinks that it is full again when it really only has about 3-4 gallons of gas i know it's time to refill. This was a new experience for me since i never once had a problem with my 89 deville but like it was said above you learn to live with it.

·
Registered
98 Concours, 2004 Deville DTS
188 Posts
I had a problem with my fuel gauge reading full then low on my Concours, normally happend just after I filled up (the ding ding ding when low was way to annoying to ignore :). Anyway I bought a new oem delco fuel pump that includes the fuel sending unit off ebay from the link below over a year ago and so far no problems. Changing the pump does require dropping the fuel tank but it really was not a hard job and was kind of fun ( just be sure there is nothing around that could ignite gas vapors). Could easly be done in a Saturday afternoon. Good luck..

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-FUEL-PUMP-98-99-CADILLAC-DEVILLE-MU216-25322891_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33555QQihZ006QQitemZ160133131372

·
Registered
1990 Sedan de Ville 1995 eldorado 2000 buick century
89 Posts
well it could be one of two issues the float on the fuel pump is what tells how much fuel is in it, and when it shorts out it can make your gauge read funny. now in my 1990 deville my fuel gauge would do all sorts of crazy things and it was my body control module now im not sure if the 97 has the same thing but its just something i figured i would share...good luck

·
Registered
1997 Deville Concours
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it is odd that it only occures while in neutral and slowing to a stop. Once back in drive it's fine. I know that I should just leave the car in drive, but now that I know it does this, it is bugging me to find out why.

DAVE
'97 Concours

·
Registered
1990 Sedan de Ville 1995 eldorado 2000 buick century
89 Posts
yeah i agree u can always go to the gm dealership and for 1 hr labor they will run diagnostics for ya....

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I wish I had a gas gauge like that when I was a teen dating all those chicks.

Sorry, sweetie, no gas; gotta spend the night out here.

·
Registered
2003 Deville
8 Posts
I think this is a big problem in all GM cars. It happened in my 03 Deville at 35k. My father has a 00 Silverado and the same thing happened around 30k. I talked to GM about this and they told me that its not enough of a problem for a recall. I guess there isn't enough people complaining about this issue. Thank God its covered under my extended warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts