Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Sedan, 1969 convertible, 71 Fleetwood, 74 Coupe
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what this is. Its a small push button with Start on it, what does it start. Its on my 1974 Coupe.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.
does that mean if i press the button, the engine will start.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next time im under the bonnet i will try, the reason i ask is i have just got the car from Wisconsin to the UK and im doing the work needed for it to pass the MOT, sometime in its life there has been a fire under the Brake servo and surrounding area and it has melted a lot of wires, i have had to by pass the windscreen washer motor because it so badly melted, replaced the wires that need doing. The wires to this starter thing have melted aswell so i will replace them.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,960 Posts
Sorry to hear of the problems. Were they disclosed to you, or left as a surprise? I only ask because I am in a close proximity to the seller and would go give an inspirational and educational visit.:bouncer:....:D

All of the wires to the starter other than the large one from body are "fusible links" for the last couple inches by the starter.
In other words, they are designed to melt from an electrical failure. Be sure to replace them with a suitable fusible link, or fuse of proper amperage.
Do you have a shop manual?

·
Registered
70 Eldorado, 78 and 79 Coupe deVilles, 2008 Subaru STI
62 Posts
Pyroman,

That button is an override for the front seat starter interlock. I have a 1975 Cadillac owner's manual and found this:

1974 and 1975 Cadillacs built prior to November 1974 had weight sensors in the front seat that would prevent the starter motor from turning the engine over until front seat occupants secured their seatbelts. If someone sat in or placed a heavier object on the front seat (passenger or driver), the car would not turn over unless the seatbelt was fastened, and if the object was left on the seat while the car was parked, it could drain the battery because the weight sensors drew more current when they detected weight. According to the '75 owner's manual, the interlock was on the same circuit that powered the antenna, dash courtesy lamps, clock, dash cigar lighter, glove box light and dash light. '74 should have a similar system but I don't have a '74 owner's manual so I can't verify.

I would try to bypass it. It sounds like an annoying system and I think it was likely to be frequently eliminated. About three months ago I test-drove a 54,000 mile '74 Coupe deVille which I started without my seatbelt on so I'm confident this feature was bypassed, but I didn't buy the car and I don't have a '74 shop manual so I'm not sure how wires are routed for this system. This system was a US safety requirement, so owners of other brand US-market cars probably have suggestions on how to bypass it.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Check for a black box under the drivers seat. Unplug it. That's what my dad did on his 74 apollo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts