Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tires, headlights, helmet, brakes, etc...

What are these links? :confused: :confused:
I don't like it :cookoo:
Please :thehand:

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan
1,729 Posts
I'm glad someone made a post about it. I thought I was going crazy or there was something wrong with my PC. Death to the links! :thehand:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Guess it's called trying to make a living by running a message board.

I'd still like to know how much each member would have to pay to make up for the advertising revenue so that this board would be ad-free? It can't be much.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I hate the links also. I never heard of a car enthusiast site go this route espeically with supporting vendors/members paying $$$ already.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Look at the corvetteforum.com , none of these annoying adds there. How is this forum that different that we have to put up with this ?

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
Guys, you can easily turn them off. Just click on the "What's this" link in the box that opens up. Scroll down on the new page and there's a link to turn them off.

CorvetteForum has a TON more advertisers than we do here (scroll down the left side of their forums) AND they charge a lot more. All I ever wanted to do by charging for advertising is break-even. Well, that's not happening. I spent $540 ($90.00 at 6 hours) just yesterday for an on-call server administrator to figure out why email wasn't working. We get tons and hack attempts and occassionally hackers get through (scripts like vBulletin and PhotoPost have vulnerabilities until they're discovered and patched). It costs a lot of money to have the server locked down and scanned for insecurities when things like this happen. It all costs money. These new links are here to HOPEFULLY pay for a full-time or at LEAST a part-time server administrator to keep things running smoothly. I'm a webmaster. That's all..

If you don't like the links, turn them the off...

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
Furthermore, I've had a nightjob for years that I recently had to quit because I need to be here to run things behind the scenes. It's not fair that I have to lose that source of income AND hire somebody to help. All anyone who visits here has to do is post, leave and be happy. It's not just simply paying for a server and you're done. There's bandwidth costs, upgrade costs, technical costs, hardware costs, scripts that need to be kept up to date and every time there's some type of "extra" done, it costs even more. I'm hoping a dedicated server administrator who can either be around all day or on call all day will cost less. It should. I'm not trying to make a living off the message board.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, you can easily turn them off. Just click on the "What's this" link in the box that opens up. Scroll down on the new page and there's a link to turn them off.
I did not know, sorry. :banghead:
And yes, I am greatfull to have this forum and will renew my supporting member status asap (just expired). :cool:

·
Banned
2008 CTS
1,192 Posts
erp2863 said:
Guess it's called trying to make a living by running a message board.

I'd still like to know how much each member would have to pay to make up for the advertising revenue so that this board would be ad-free? It can't be much.
Wouldn't hurt to have some of the complainers ante up now would it?

In addition, if Sal were to choose to make money here he is certainly entitled to seeing as he built and maintains it on his own dime.

As far as the links go, who cares, just don't roll the cursor over them and it's no problem at all.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
Thanks, guys.. It's easy enough to opt-out and once everyone realizes that, I guess it wont be a problem for anyone.. I think there are actually more people here who aren't bothered by it. Just when they see somebody else complain, they're like "Heck! Yeah! What the HECK are these things?!". :p

Really, they're not big deal. Just links... This is a fairly new service and it's going to be pretty common in short time...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How about a link system, that when someone asks about some common issues e.g. tire-pressure sensors, it will link to previous posts?:highfive:

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
Man, that would be great. It would require some amazing artificial intellegence, though.. It would be even nicer if when somebody posted a question that's already been covered, the system asks them to read over a few threads to make sure their question hasn't already been answered. Then, if not, the message gets posted. :D

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
Sal, thanks for your patience and tenacity. It can't be easy for you to constantly see posts complaining about things that folks don't like. I'm sure that if more of us realized the cost you are putting out for this project compared to what you get in return (grief, complaints, whining, no $$$, etc.) we'd just shut our mouths except for "Thank you very much." and appreciate what we have here.

It's never going to be perfect and there will always be some one who isn't happy about something but I do appreciate you hanging in there with us.

And thanks to your wife too for putting up with this as well!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts