Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille DHS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just a lady in a hurry. Can anyone please tell me exactly what this is called?

It's located down in here. Picture below.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,679 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator.
I assume that's what you're talking about 'down in here'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay guys. See the blue clip in the center of the 2nd photo? Where that is plugged in (1st photo), I have a leak. I'm just a lady trying to fix her baby. I don't have anyone else to help me out. If I need to add more detail...let me know please.

·
Registered
96 FWB
194 Posts
I'm gonna guess 'leak' is oil unless told different. Appears that in addition to elec. connector one end attaches to a rubber hose and the other end slips into a grommet in the block or intake? Not familiar with that engine, but have been pouring over exploded views. Rough guess is either PCV or solenoid in the A.I.R system.

1. What does the other end of the hose connect to?
2. For better ideas back up a bit for reference pics showing orientation and location.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
That's a locking pin! It's supposed to pin an electrical connector so it won't come apart.Not necessary; you can cut it off if it bothers you.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
We're fooling with the fuel rail and injector harnesses on a 2003 DHS Northstar engine which bears NO resemblance to your engine, FTSS.

The first picture shows a gasoline leak at the upper O-ring on fuel injector #7, right (rear) bank.

If the leak is gasoline and is underneath the blue clip (fuel injector electrical connector safety lock) then it takes fuel rail removal and one or two replacement O-rings.

Because the gasoline appears to be weeping up past the injector body that requires fuel rail removal. Mom & Pop shop work.

Fuel injector.jpg

Fuel rail/injector repair involves fuel pressure, gasoline, and some technical expertise.

·
Registered
96 FWB
194 Posts
Ah so. Yah, I checked the vendor fitment for that part twice since it wasn't near the shape of her "FPR". She was in a hurry and all, so It only took a few dozen exploded views to tell me my only purpose here was going to be TTT until someone brighter dropped by. But just one or two pics further back and I swear "I coulda' been a contender".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't smell like gasoline. And I have a coolant leak. I know I'm just a girl and not as smart as you gents and I am not familiar with the Northstar engine. It's a weird setup, this one. Is there any way coolant could be leaking from the injector right under the electrical connection? And...if it is in fact an unrelated issue, where could the leak be in my coolant system? It's either right there or something right below that area that I can't see. But I can hear it when I squeeze the upper radiator hose and there's coolant puddling on my engine undercarriage tray.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Isn't the heater hose/pipes in that area?
The undercarriage tray you speak of...is where? ...under the radiator? Maybe a separate leak.

·
Administrator
67,924 Posts
Just because you're female has NO bearing on whether or not you're smarter than the males in here - or anywhere else. Maybe not extensive experience with engines and wrenches, but that comes with time and practice.

Harry, I'm typing as you speak ...........

No coolant lines there at the injector - BUT somewhat rearward of that area is a set of pipes and connections that go to the heater core - at the firewall. Known for rust problems, it's entirely possible that one of those pipes or a hose has a pinhole and is pissing pressurized coolant onto the engine.

This will cost a few bucks, but have a local good Mom & Pop shop do a cooling system pressure test for slow leaks.

Yes, the upper radiator hose (a LONG hose) can leak at either end connection. The end at the passenger side of the radiator has been known to leak due to a cracked plastic radiator end tank. The engine end would leak at the hose discharge connection area. If the upper hose is not correctly supported in the middle of the run it can chafe and develop leaks.

Here's the engine end of the upper radiator hose on my Seville, radiator sight shield removed.

Measuring 1.jpg.JPG

·
Registered
96 FWB
194 Posts
I've seen no indication of anyone considering you less capable with attacking repair as a female. But your pics suck so far. ::laugh:: Anything's possible, but they have been identified as part of the fuel system. When you start offering up new information about a coolant leak it only begs the question what else aren't you telling us. We can only read (and see) what's on the screen, so, recommend the following:
-Spray down the motor with a degreaser/cleaner and hose off. Clean everywhere the coolant leaked. Let everything dry BEFORE starting.
-Start and try to eyeball the source of the coolant leak, whether it's near where you took those pics or not.
-Figure out how to get better pics of the leak you were showing first. It's a helluva lot easier tracing a leak when everything else is clean and dry.
Tell us any service work, repair or parts replaced in say the last month. It's astounding the affect of 'unrelated' work on creating new 'issues'.
It's the weekend, so even if this is your daily driver you can make good headway toward finding the problem(s) before next week.

.... where could the leak be in my coolant system? It's either right there or something right below that area that I can't see. But I can hear it when I squeeze the upper radiator hose and there's coolant puddling on my engine undercarriage tray.
What exactly can you "hear" when squeezing the hose? Air trapped inside? Coolant leaking onto something outside the engine?

(EDIT: potential overpost)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Caution on spraying water on the engine. The valley will fill up with water.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited by Moderator)
The undercarriage tray is under the radiator, yes. It covers the whole engine compartment from underneath. I am not sure exactly which hoses are down there under the throttle body but I'm guessing that my lower radiator hose is one of them. I am inclined to agree that it may be a separate leak. I just really don't want to accept it though.

Caution on spraying water on the engine. The valley will fill up with water.
Excuse me?

Just because you're female has NO bearing on whether or not you're smarter than the males in here - or anywhere else. Maybe not extensive experience with engines and wrenches, but that comes with time and practice.

Harry, I'm typing as you speak ...........

No coolant lines there at the injector - BUT somewhat rearward of that area is a set of pipes and connections that go to the heater core - at the firewall. Known for rust problems, it's entirely possible that one of those pipes or a hose has a pinhole and is pissing pressurized coolant onto the engine.

This will cost a few bucks, but have a local good Mom & Pop shop do a cooling system pressure test for slow leaks.

Yes, the upper radiator hose (a LONG hose) can leak at either end connection. The end at the passenger side of the radiator has been known to leak due to a cracked plastic radiator end tank. The engine end would leak at the hose discharge connection area. If the upper hose is not correctly supported in the middle of the run it can chafe and develop leaks.

Here's the engine end of the upper radiator hose on my Seville, radiator sight shield removed.

View attachment 578137
Actually, I was implying that I am not as smart as some of you makes in here. And I wasn't implying that I cannot turn a wrench. Just that the specific engine is unfamiliar territory to me. But thank you for your response and I will take all responses into consideration. And I will get back to you guys as Soon as I gather the information and pictures you suggested that I aquire.
Much appreciated.

·
Administrator
67,924 Posts
DO NOT attempt to clean a Northstar engine by spraying water on it. The valley under the intake manifold (starter motor, other stuff) is wide open to any water intrusion - both ends of the intake manifold. Under that manifold is also a favorite rodent nesting place ...... also, the alternator/regulator does not like to get unduly wet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DO NOT attempt to clean a Northstar engine by spraying water on it. The valley under the intake manifold (starter motor, other stuff) is wide open to any water intrusion. Under that manifold is also a favorite rodent nesting place ......
Okay. That explains the comment from Harry. I wasn't going to just go spraying water all willie nillie. I am however going to give it a good wiping down and a little more attention. Thank you.

·
Registered
96 FWB
194 Posts
Ok. Learned something new. On the spraying motor thing;

I can't help but wonder if the benefits from time and effort removing at least any ornamental portions of the cover would be worth for better visual inspection and access diagnosing leaks. Unless the cover is already removed in the very first pics. In any case there's smart fellas on the case so I'll cease and desist.

But still lurking to find what gets found. ;)

·
Administrator
67,924 Posts
On the 1998 - 2009 FWD Seville/Eldorado/Deville/"DTS" Northstar powertrain there are quite a few (most) checks and fixes that require beauty cover removal. However, the water problem exists with the cover on or off. The composite intake manifold "sits up" on its port runners, straddling the alley, and - using a good flashlight - you can see into the valley from both ends of the manifold.

Intake manifold lifted.gif
Intake silicone seals2.JPG
Intake manifold exploded.gif

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

okay. This is now where my leak is. I checked my coolant level and started my car to get the engine up to normal running temp. From my exhaust, I am now getting faint white smoke out of both pipes. Then I came back up front and noticed a vapor like smoke coming from the engine. The car never passed the midway mark on temperature gauge but I turned it off considering the smoke and this is what I found. Coolant has sprayed all over the rear fuel injectors all the way across from behind the manifold. Am I right to presume that I have a blown head gasket?

·
Administrator
67,924 Posts
Probably not a blown head gasket. White vapor from the tailpipes for a while after start in cool/humid weather is normal - look at other cars at traffic lights. If coolant is pooling on a warm engine it will steam - the engine runs at about 200 degrees normally.

To check for a failed head gasket (fire ring) you or a local Mom & Pop shop perform a cylinder block exhaust gas test. You rent the test kit and buy the chemical fluid from a large parts store, follow the instructions and don't try to make it better with long bubble times.

See the orange coolant pooled in the small bolt head under the fuel pressure regulator - first picture? Take a hard look and see if there's coolant at the head/water crossover upper gasket/hot coolant outlet area. Right at the "EGR assembly" in the drawing.

If so, that's water crossover gaskets - not common but there are several other threads on this over the years. Lots of shop work - about 8 hours labor and $10 - $15 in new gasket assemblies.

Water crossover assembled.gif

water crossover gaskets.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts