Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Dts
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will probably feel like an idiot,but what is it that sounds like a power antenna going up when I first start my 2006? It only lasts a few seconds. About the time it would take for a antenna to go up.

·
Registered
06 Cadillac DTS
278 Posts
It' the compressor for the rear air shocks. Normal for it to run 3-5 sec. After the car has set overnight.
Norm

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,440 Posts
Two possibilities:

Your emissions controls use a system acronym'd A.I.R. - after the obsolete Air Injection Reactor - the old "smog pump". This system uses a centrifugal blower, vacuum actuator lines, a solenoid control and two diverter/check valves to pump fresh air to the exhaust manifolds at cold start to more quickly light off the cat.

The pump is inside the driver's side fenderwell liner, in the front area. The diverter check valves are on the right (rear) cam cover and near the radiator "lower hose" - the black domed thingys with steel and rubber hoses.

It runs for 10 - 30 seconds, depending on ambient temps, coolant temps, and time since last start.

-or- The rear shocks use rubber bladders and a compressor system for rear height control due to extra weight in the trunk or rear seat - it is NOT "air ride" - it's level control. About 5 seconds after key ON the system does a 2 second proveout and preload sequence. The compressor is inside the RR fenderwell liner.

·
Registered
Dts
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
It is coming from the rear so it is the air shocks. I learned something new. I have the performance model with the magnetic shocks and did not know they had an air leveling system.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,440 Posts
The F55 MRC front struts and rear shocks have no internal moving valves or orifices - the fluid is a ferrous suspension that is influenced by an instantly varying magnetic field around the strut/shock piston/orifice. The fluid can change from 10W hydraulic fluid to thick jelly in less than .001 second. The system receives input from roll, pitch yaw, turn rate, turn radius, turn radius error, wheel speed, brake application, transmission gear, engine power, lots of other sensors - to do all it can to control body attitude, steering feel, braking, and turn radius. The 2002.5 and 2003 Seville TS (the real STS) were the test mules for the Lord/DELPHI system which then went into Corvette and Ferrari, then into later Cadillac models and other brands of vehicles worldwide.

Google "lord magnetorheological suspension system".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts