Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am somewhat new to this, I just need a bit of advice on the best way to remove this piece (pictured below). It's just to the left of the distributer and has a vacuum hose going to the air cleaner assembly.
IMG_20200724_141908815.jpg

I accidentally broke it changing some vacuum lines today, it still runs and drives fine but I have the same piece on my parts car which I would like to put in, I just don't know how I would remove it without breaking it. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,854 Posts
See the large hex at the bottom of the vacuum valve? The whole thing unscrews - just like a temp sender or oil pressure sender.

That's a temperature controlled vacuum porting valve. Note that the lower (brass) part screws into a water jacket.

Be very careful and use the correct sized wrench. Maybe a tad of pipe dope on the new valve's threads. Parts stores.

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,375 Posts
Very carefully. I'd spray it with "Free All" or some other similar rust penetrating product to make it easier to remove. Maybe do that for a few days. I'm thinking one of those wrenches that has a hinge to get to it at an angle. The threaded stem isn't very long. It probably should break loose easily. I know a PITA to get a wrench on it. Seems like I changed that on my '84 Seville when I had the valve covers off.

That is an emissions part, EFE valve vacumn. part number 3049626. There are new ones on eBay.

Use some anti-seize high temp compound on the threads when you replace it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome thanks for your help guys, I've already sprayed it with wd40 I'll spray it again tomorrow and change it on Sunday or Monday. One more question, either of you guys ever dealt with swapping a 4100? I absolutely love this car but it won't last with the original drivetrain and I'd also like a bit more power. I've heard people say to put a 350 or a 307 in because they bolt up to the trans, but they never say what all it's actually going to entail. Just some food for thought, it's not like I can afford that anytime soon lol. Anyways take it easy and thanks again for the help

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz
1,241 Posts
They used to sell sockets that fit over the teets in the vacuum switch.

Just find the size of the nut and you should be good to go. I would get the proper tool and echo the above, be careful as the manifold is aluminum and the vacuum switch is submerged in coolant-it is likely really galled in there.

An Oldsmobile engine swap is possible but entails a complete 82-85 Riv or Toronado with an Olds motor or a Diesel cadillac donor car sitting next to the 4100 candidate. It has lasted nearly 40 years in it's present state however!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will definitely keep an eye out for that tool, and I was sort of afraid that I would have to use an engine from a tornado or riviera. Almost seems not worth it, in my opinion. Have you ever rebuilt the 4100 or know anyone who has?

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz
1,241 Posts
I will definitely keep an eye out for that tool, and I was sort of afraid that I would have to use an engine from a tornado or riviera. Almost seems not worth it, in my opinion. Have you ever rebuilt the 4100 or know anyone who has?
I am building one now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts