Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'79 Phaeton (crushed), '94 Brougham, 78 Mark V DJ
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Eldorado guys, I need your help with something:

While walking in the country the other day, I spotted something wonderful hiding behind some trees and other cars. The owner was in the yard, and informed me that it was a 1973 Eldorado, but I knew that already ;)
He told me that he had been driving it five or six years ago, and replaced the exhaust system and the water pump, but parked it due to it getting 7 MPG.

So today I went back for a closer inspection, after being stung several times, and dispensing two cans of foaming hornet killer, I finally got access to the car. It has the original 500 CID engine, and the keys/title. The trunk pan has minor rust, but there are no holes. The floor boards are solid, and the seats are worn, but not ripped.

When I put a battery into the car, I got no power at all inside. No lights, no horn, nothing. I assume there must be a couple large circuit breakers on the fuse box that cut power from the battery? I know the battery was full, as it was out of my Fleetwood. Also, the battery terminals weren't corroded at all.

He said he was open to offers, but my main question is, what is this vehicle worth? Also, how is the front wheel drive model as far as drivability goes? Is it annoying not having RWD?

Well, here's the pictures for ya'll:

A bit of crust, but I think it'll wash out easily enough.

I'm mildly concerned about this, it didn't seem to want to pop back in, but I didn't inspect very closely.

A full set of four wheel covers.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Mild rust, but no holes.

Killed sixty or seventy of these...

This 'Eldorado' scripting is missing on the other side.

And of course, the most important part.

What are some ways to verify that this is INFACT the original 500, and no some
backyard mechanic special? I've heard that the early 472, and 500's are almost
impossible to differentiate asides from the stroke. As a 500 is just a stroked 472, right?

Thanks for looking :)

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
Well, as far as driveability, when the car was new, it was awesome.

My Grandfather had a 73 Eldo... sweet ride. Sweet.

Now, in my humble opinion, the example in those pictures is in pretty rough shape. The grille is not stock, and pieces are missing all over that thing...

Opinions really vary, okay, so, just my opinion, but, I wouldn't pay much for that. That car is a lotta money and a lotta work away from being the sweet ride it once was...

Good luck, whatever you decide. If you're going to tackle this, keep us posted with pics & updates....

·
Registered
94 ETC 78 Eldo 69 Eldo
170 Posts
if the engine runs and you can drive it around the property it might be worth 500.oo

it probably would be the orginal 500 and not any other non-cadillac engine as it would have to be able to mount up to the trans

7 mpg around town it about right

you would spend more money than the car if worth, fixing it up

probably be best to part it out

eldo's go like a tank in the snow (lots of weight right over the drive wheels)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to tackle this project. My Pontiac has just been busting my balls since day one and I can't stand it any more. I don't really think that a lot of pieces missing are missing, it's pretty much all there. I really didn't count too many major components, except for the hood ornament and some scripting. The air cleaner assembely was on the ground, as I wanted to put some starting fluid down the carb. The large chrome piece on the hood however, I will have to inspect closer.

I would say that fixing up the car to be road worthy is half the fun of buying it in the first place. I'm kind of excited to see it fire up when I go over there this afternoon. Apparently it was running in 2002, so it shouldn't really be that hard.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
That looks like a lot of money and work. I say it is worth $100 or so.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
This car is just an old car. It does not have 10000 or 20000 miles on it. It is not a convertible.

You will need to do the following to make sure it runs:

plugs and wires
water pump (seal dried)
replace heater hoses
replace radiator hoses
replace radiator (likely rotted)
replace shocks (gasmatics $20 each). Front shocks might be hard to find. Manuf had some of those mislabeled.
replace rubber fuel lines.
rebuild carb; seals dried out; float rotted.
fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, oil.
Those cars were noted for rotting out under vinyl roof.
Leather ??? May or may not want to leave as is. Est $2000 if you know someone; $3000 if not.
battery
fan belts
a/c compressor, clutch, dryer, orifice tube
convert to r134
motor mounts??
rubber bushings between frame and body are likely completely shot because of grass growing next to them. Grass eats up the rubber.
paint ?? $2500 for first class paint job.
transmission is normally bullet proof, but you should change trans fluid. All of it.
fuel pump diaphragm is likely rotted out.
rubber/plastic fender extenders are $250--$300 each X 4. Plus special rubberized primer and paint.
tires and old, dangerous, and dry rotted. That car has special valve stems that have rubber washers inside the rim. You will need to look around to locate fresh rubber washers, or you will regularly end up needing to put air in tires. Also, note that the hub caps come right up to the edge of the rim. The wheels take special 'cadillac weights' which are also almost impossible to locate. I suspect you could glue weights on inside of wheel.
That model Caddy was bullet proof, but you do need to run a tape on the above expenses.
You will also need a personalized tag that says: Money Pit.

You can easily invest $4000 in this, and then you will need a paint job and interior.

You could buy a nicer fleecewood for less than that car will cost you.

I would not advise paying more than $100, and plan on spending several thousand.

·
Registered
68 SDV; 92 Corvette; 95 Deville; 06 Town Car; 15 Sienna
398 Posts
Hi. I concur it's worth $100 or something in that range just as a ceremony of changing ownership. Pics bring back memories. My 68 sdv sat on a driveway in Mississauga for 9 years and we got it for $500. However it started up and I would suggest it looked a bit better than the eldo you're looking at. After mechanical, paint, NOS interior, some arizona chrome, tires, etc. I'd say it cost me $12-$15K to get it to a #3 driver condition. (I stopped counting)

Do it if it's a labour of love and you want to save the car. If you want to be practical find a far better one for $3K. Nobody buys these cars they stay in the want ads forever.

Had mine almost 10 years now and will never sell!

·
Registered
'92 Brougham d'Elegance 305; '98 Seville STS
490 Posts
I'd value that '73 Eldorado at no more than $200 USD. The front wheel drive is amazing on these, as I can attest to the remarkable drive of my '77 Eldorado. It's a most unique experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts